Liverpool FC vs Newcastle - EPL - Sept 14 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 2, 2019.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took us about 15 mins to wake up - but damn are we relentless.

SamScouse and Suss repped this.
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It’s scary when the front 3 are all in top form at the same time. Firmino has produced some outrageous football this season. Mane and Salah keep scoring goals.

After going 1-0 down there is no panic from these players. They showed it time and time again last season. These players will keep their heads under all circumstances. I’m finally reaching the point as a fan where I don’t panic either. It takes some getting used to when supporting a team that is so ridiculously good. Newcastle’s opening goal was nothing more than an annoyance. The result was still never in doubt. This Liverpool team has a solution to ever single problem. If it is going to take over 100 points to win the league, this group of players are capable of doing it.

Navieko and newterp repped this.
  3. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    The touches by Firmino to set him up were the sickest part of that move. Nice win after a worldie wake up call. Toon started well but succumbed to our relentless pressure. Nice day out, hope Divvie's ok.

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Henderson get a full rest today - would have liked Gini off immediately after the 3rd goal, and shame Origi had to go off.

Shaq needs a chance - his passing is really good as are his touches in general.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bobby Firmino is a genius. :)

Fab was great today - did all the dirty work, won the ball back tons of times. nothing spectacular but incredibly important.

agree that Gini getting a rest would have been excellent.

nice to see Ox do well, still a tad rusty but very close to 100% now. just needs a goal.

14 wins scoring 2+ each game. we have a truly great team.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the impression I'm getting is that the refs/VAR have decided to turn a blind eye to most pen-area wrestling-type fouls on the basis that if they start calling them they'll end up with 3-4 pens every game.
    maybe they'll start tightening up on it next season after giving teams plenty of warnings that it's coming?

in this case, as the comms said - if the ref had called that pen VAR would not have overruled him.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    of the 4 goals we saw today, 3 were simply superb. Mo and Mane are SO damn lethal.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I think we got a glimpse of why Klopp sometimes goes for Gomez when a more defensive perspective is needed.

Their goal was superb, well taken, great shot and will be up there for goal of the month. But he should never have been able to cut inside TAA and get the ball on his right foot. The defense had the box covered, there were no free men. TAA should have come out earlier and tighter on Willem and shuttled him to the byline.

Instead, by not challenging early, he allowed Willem to run at him a little and then cut inside. It was a poor goal (albeit very well taken) to give up.

A team with more attacking options and better players would and will target TAA.

newterp repped this.
  9. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we watched different games

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, the clean-sheet run didn’t last long, did it? Sack!

On a serious note, this was a good result given the disruption which is the international break.

Next.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nah it wasn't that bad. the scorer is known to have no right foot, so AA was anticipating him moving that way, and the guy fooled him. shit happens. I agree though, Gomez is a better defender.

12. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they reboot that pesky VAR machine yet?

13. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    abso-********ing-lutely

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nope. Norwich should have had 2 pens today !!

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It didn't need VAR. I could see that from 6,000 miles away. Where was Mariner?

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Nope. TAA was out of position and didn’t move to correct it. When he did, Willem did him. Poor defending. IMO.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Every goal in history can be explained by a defensive error. Like I said shit happens. No biggie.

18. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a couple of times TAA was in the center of the pitch, half way inside Liverpool's defending half. i didn't see where Matip was, but that much space on Liverpool's right wing cannot be good, and that's where the attack came from that led to the goal.

TAA closed down on Willem as quickly as he could from his position, but that left him vulnerable to be caught on the wrong foot when Willem cut inside.

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Close!

Suss repped this.
  20. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lets just face it taa has a tendency to make defencive errors but he'll grow out of that. What he does is giving us another dimension going forward.
    If he continues to develop he'll be what every RB aspires to be

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82% correct.

B-

Congrats. ;)

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Show me better on the next Premiership game ........... ;)

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i only criticize...or congratulate

it's a gift

24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #99 Suss, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Many are now making the argument that Firmino is our best player. On current form it’s hard to disagree. He has been sensational, and is playing better than he did at any point last season. If we sing about him being the best in the world enough, it may just become true.

Anyone who is Liverpool’s best player, can’t be far off being the world’s best. We do have the best defender in the world. We have the best goalkeeper. We have the best pair of fullbacks. Sadio Mane could make a case for himself as the world’s best at the moment, and Mo Salah would tell you that he’s better than Mane.

We happen to also have the best manager in the world and the best fans in the world. Is there anything this team can’t achieve?

Navieko, augie, oikos and 2 others repped this.
  25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You could say that but outside of pulling a bizzarro trick move he is being defended, do I'd agree with Sam - it's really not that bad of a mistake.
    Sometimes you can't stop a guy taking a surprise shot. It's a bit like saying that Cruyff or Messi shouldn't score all those goals with better defending. If this was such an exact science, no-one would be watching - well, I wouldn't, anyway ....