Liverpool FC vs Napoli - CL - Dec 11 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 9, 2018.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

20:00 Tue 11th December 2018

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Another night like this?

Or a simple 1-0 to the good? :D

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Allison
    Trent Lovren Virgil Robertson
    Henderson
    Wijnaldum Keita
    Salah Firmino Mane ​

4. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4 Buffonfan, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    So anxious, can't wait for this match. EVERYWHERE online in news, predictions, etc... ALL said Liverpool will win.

This make me nervous, worry about my Italy side. I just want to see Liverpool and Napoli make it to the knockout round (I don't like PSG).
    I have a feeling Napoli will lose. I just hope Napoli has enough points to make it.

Good luck to both sides. I just want to see Liverpool and Napoli both go through.

Wingtips1, usscouse and SamScouse repped this.
  5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Welcome to the worry train.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a big one, make no mistake. Anfield will be up for it and let's hope so will the players.

7. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    The Reds are comin' up the hill, boys, the Reds are comin' up the hill!!!

Fussballer repped this.
  8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd prefer a repeat of this weekends scoreline - no drama, thank you very much.

9. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team lacks someone who can/will step in to take that shot, since Phil left anyway.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a round-up of Serie A games this weekend, focus on Napoli. sounds like they are in fine form. the description of their LB seems like he's an Italian Robbo. mind you, he'll have Mo to deal with ....

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-in-style-amid-flurry-of-serie-a-late-shows

The most convincing win of the weekend belonged to Napoli, who geared up for their Champions League Group C decider away to Liverpool by matching the Reds’ four-goal margin of victory on Saturday. Frosinone are no Bournemouth, sitting 19th in the Serie A table before kick-off, but there was still plenty here to encourage Carlo Ancelotti’s side.

Most obvious were the 90 minutes played by Faouzi Ghoulam. The Algerian was on his way to establishing himself as one of the best left-backs in circulation before rupturing a cruciate ligament during a Champions League defeat to Manchester City last November. His path to recovery has been complicated by further misfortunes: most notably a fractured kneecap at the start of this year.

This was his first competitive appearance in 13 months, yet Ghoulam was instantly transformative. He set up both of Arkadiusz Milik’s second-half goals: the first with a corner that swung in to the perfect spot for the striker to nod home at the near post. This was Napoli’s 31st goal of the Serie A season, but remarkably the first header: a statistic that highlights what a difference such high-quality deliveries can make.

More surprising were Ghoulam’s fitness levels, flying up and down the left flank for the full 90 minutes. The expectation is that he will not start against Liverpool, though after such an eye-catching performance it certainly seems plausible that he could yet feature off the bench. In either case, his appearance here at the very least allowed Ancelotti to rest Mário Rui.

The manager has tended to pick a less mobile, more defensively resilient XI in Europe this season, with Nikola Maksimovic notionally the right-back but often sliding when Napoli lose possession as the back four becomes a back five. Rui is a far less talented alternative to Ghoulam on the left but also a less adventurous one.
    A cautious team selection is not the same thing as a cautious attitude. Napoli have scored in every Champions League game since their frustrating stalemate away to Red Star at the start of the group stage. If the Partenopeican find the net even once at Anfield, and assuming Paris Saint-Germain beat the Serbian side, then a one-goal defeat would suffice to go through.

They will take encouragement from the form of Milik, who has scored four times in his last four games for club and country. He averages one strike for every 104 minutes played in Serie A – the best ratio of any player in the division: ahead of Krzysztof Piątek and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ancelotti stated at full-time that Napoli would go to Anfield with the intention to dictate the tempo and play their own game, not to park the bus. Such remarks are consistent with the message he has preached throughout this Champions League run: that his team is talented enough to at least have a go in every competition, that they should approach every game with the belief they can play on equal terms.

So far, they have lived up to that mantra. Napoli travel to Anfield as the first-placed team in Group C. Results across Serie A this weekend will have offered them a timely reminder, however, not to presume that anything is decided until the end.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finding myself not all that fixated on the CL this year, even though it is probably more wide open than it has been in years. Feels awfully secondary to the league campaign. My worries about not going through have more to do with avoiding the nightmare of Thursday night EL games, than not having a chance at #6.

But I'm fully expecting the boys to get the job done.

I'd like the see Fab, Gini and Naby in midfield again as Henderson got over ran last time we played then. He can play against the mid-table opposition at the weekend.

12. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’m fully invested in tomorrow’s game. I think it’s huge that we get out of the group at the very least. After that we don’t have to worry about Champions League until February and since we would finish 2nd in the group we will most likely get matched up with one of the European giants. Then try to tell me you aren’t fixated on Europe if we draw Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, etc.

It is a difficult task, but it’s an even harder task for Napoli. We are Liverpool. We are top of the Premier League and Champions League finalists. We are playing at Anfield. I expect us to get the job done.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I don't care who we're playing. Or what we're playing for league or cups.
    I expect us to win. Pisses me off when now and then we don't.
    Tomorrow, we will win!!!

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intellectually I agree with you, just not feeling it emotionally.

I fully expect us to win and I'll be happy about that. But come February and we are still top, I expect I'll still be caring more about the league, regardless of who we draw. I guess I only have so much commitment to give and my emotional eggs are in the league basket right now.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  17. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Keita is starting. And Pass me another bevy, please!

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    AFAIK if teams are equal on points, the head-to-head results are the decider. But ppl are saying that we get through if we win 1-0 tomorrow.

How? They beat us 1-0 in the away game. So surely we need to beat them by 2+ while not conceding?

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we beat them 1-0 the results are exactly the same over the two games. I believe it’s the 8th tiebreaker that sees us go through in that scenario.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From Wiki

A 1-0 would put us even on GD, but we'd go through on total goals scored in the group. If they score they are ahead on total goals head to head and away goals. A 2-1 they go through on away goals, which is why we need to win by 2 clear goals if they score to go through on total goals head to head.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but let's say we do win but don't win 1-0 or by 2 clear goals AND PSG draw Belgrade, we would go through (on overall points between the 3 teams in question) and so would PSG (most likely depending on how many Naples score today) on goals scored?

23. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just to be sure - we need to win by 2+ goals.

Come on you REDS

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #LFC lineup vs. Napoli: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Salah, Mane, Firmino

Klopp looking to make things interesting by going with the midfield which has won less than 50% of the games its played >60mins together and lost all 3 away games in the CL. :(

He does love a redemption story though so here's to the boys getting it done in the game that counts.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not happy with that midfield at all.