Liverpool FC vs Man City - EPL - Oct 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 3, 2018.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't think we'll ever get it from those three, their strengths are more as work horses in mf , the running closing ball winning part of the game. Guys like Ox , Keita Shaqiri and Lallana are more likely to get into scoring positions than the three former. And I do think we're missing an attacking mf , Fekir was supposed to be that guy , we still need that goal scoring link man .

imasyko repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 newterp, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Our defense is playing amazingly now. Our attack has gone the other way however.

With no creative fulcrum or driving force in the middle we aren’t able to pull the better teams apart and forced them to leave the attackers 1 v 1.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. This is the biggest letdown at the moment .

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Our midfielders were given the job of covering for our fullbacks. Keita/Milner was pulled way out to the left and Gini was pulled out to the right. Hendo sat it front of the back 4 which left nobody to link the midfield to the front 3. Our front three were feeding off scraps today. The difference between this season and last season is that Ox caused all kinds of problems for City and scored two huge goals.

It worked to neutralize City’s attack. They did not create much either. Before the season nobody gave us a chance to challenge City for the title. We have now proven, once again, that we are their equals when we face each other head to head. We have also equaled their point total to this point despite having had to play a way tougher schedule.

Things start to get easier now, and its a perfect opportunity to start scoring some goals and get our confidence up. There is still a ton of room for improvement and we have put ourselves in a great position to challenge for the title.

Wingtips1, dcc134 and CB-West repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Manchester City had 51% possession at Anfield; their lowest in a Premier League game since Pep Guardiola took charge of the club.

Pep Guardiola has won just one of his last eight managerial meetings with Jurgen Klopp in all competitions (D3 L4), and is winless in the most recent four (D1 L3)

6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep, still unbeaten and tied for top .

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well said Suss !

8. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Defense was outstanding today, particularly Lovren. Offensive woes continue. Thought Mane looked really poor and Salah wasn’t far behind. Something’s got to give way. Anyway still undefeated and tied for 1st place on points is a great position to be in after all the lack of goals.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In Germany, Keita played with a swagger. He knew he was the best player on the pitch. So far at Liverpool he seems to just be trying to fit in and do what Klopp wants, knowing that he will be back on the bench if he doesn't. I still think we have a really good player, but I agree that we haven't seen his best yet.

dcc134 and newterp repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's the only midfielder we have who has the confidence to dribble the ball forward more than once or twice a game. hopefully he'll settle soon and we'll see more than a couple of glimpses of what he can do.

imasyko and Red Bird repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Games coming up ……...

Huddersfield
    Red Star
    Cardiff
    Arse
    Red Star
    Fulham

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Klopp said after the game - if you told me after our opening 8 fixtures we would have 20 points - I'd take it immediately.

Wingtips1 and speker repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool lost James Milner in the first half to a hamstring injury that Klopp hopes will not sideline the in-form midfielder for an extended spell. Klopp said: “I asked him if it is a big one and he said, ‘I don’t think so but it is big enough that I have to go off.’”

14. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nailed it.

We've had a tough run and come out of it in okay shape. The defense looks fantastic most of the time and while the attack has sputtered a bit against some excellent teams, there's no need to be overly concerned.

CB-West repped this.
  15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Henderson and Lovren were outstanding today.

It was a tight game as they setup to defend initially. They missed Debrune and we missed Ox, so chances were tough to come by.

I was shitting it when Sane came on.

Sturridge did really well holding it up.

Keita looks tentative, like he’s thinking about his positioning too much. Once that becomes second nature he’ll be more of an offensive threat.

I’d didn’t think the front 3 were all that bad, the chances just didn’t fall for them.

I’ll happily take our position right now. More straightforward games ahead will allow the offense to click into gear and the bench to play a bigger role.

16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Was lucky that his early kick on Aguero wasn't given a penalty, but overall very good.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wouldn't have bet 0-0, but I'm quite fine with the result.

As everyone has noted, we're missing that link between midfield and the attack at the moment.

Allison - not much to do, made himself as imposing as possible on the penalty and guessed correctly. Who would've thought the best two defenses in the Premier League would have Brazilian goalkeepers?
    Gomez - not a right back. very solid defensively and shut down Sterling. However, seemed it was city's plan to attempt to immediate press him whenever he was on the ball - it worked more often than not as several giveaways led to city breaking in dangerous areas.
    VvD/Lovren - both were imperious. VvD is likely the best defender in the world and Lovren is certainly feeling the Gomez pressure. Both had one blood rush to the head and we're lucky only penalty was given.
    Robertson - was very very good. a threat going forward and his ever reliable self on the defensive side.
    Hendo - quietly very good. cliche, but a captains performance, mopping up a lot of sh*t.
    Milner - heal quickly, please. kept asking myself why he drops so deep that he's basically holding VvD's hand.
    Gini - he was quite good. in the second half when we were under a bit of pressure, several times he was the only midfielder to actually look to get forward and find the pockets of space behind city's initial press to relieve said pressure.
    Keita - as others have noted, seems to be finding his identity in Klopp's system. have no doubt he'll come good.
    Mo/Bobby/Mane - just not clicking at the moment. Mo keeps trying too hard to recreate his magic of last season. It looked effortless last year because it was almost effortless as he simply allowed play to build and put himself in great positions. Bobby isn't as effective when Mo and Mane aren't running into the space he creates when he drops deep. And I'm still behind my contention that something is happening behind the scenes with Mane and Mo - there is no chemistry between them and neither seems too bothered to play with the other.
    Studge - held up the ball well, good movement, but not much impact.

Overall a good result, was more important for us to win as it we've now gone four matches without a win.
    Tied at the top of the table on 20 points from our opening 8 fixtures which included 3 matches against fellow top 6 teams.
    Three of the next four league fixtures are against the worst defensive sides in the league and should give us plenty of chances to find our spark again while throwing in a couple CL games which should see us close to cementing qualification.

usscouse repped this.
  18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Looking up the teams played by the top three:

Liverpool:

West Ham
    C Palace
    Brighton
    Leicester
    Tottenham
    Southampton
    Chelsea
    Man City

City:
    Arsenal
    Huddersfield
    Wolves
    Newcastle
    Fulham
    Cardiff
    Brighton
    Liverpool

Chelsea:
    Huddersfield
    Arsenal
    Newcastle
    Bournemouth
    Cardiff
    West Ham
    Liverpool
    Southampton

I think it's fair to say that Liverpool have had the tougher schedule so far, having played Spurs, Chelsea and City, whereas City and Chelsea have only played Liverpool and Arsenal. And City and Chelsea have yet to play each other. We dropped points against City, but gained them against Chelsea, a wash probably; we are nicely positioned.

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you assign 20 to the first place team from last year and 1 to the last place team (substituting in promoted sides), our strength of schedule is about +90 and City and Chelsea are in the 60's

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not a wash, the net effect is -1 point.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    interesting, except - and I'm being picky - final placement rankings don't reflect the form of the team at the time we played them.

BTW we haven't played any of the promoted teams yet. last season we were poor against the teams who ended up getting relegated (I think it was 9 points out of total 18 possible).

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Maybe, perhaps. YMMV. I understand that if we drop 2 and gain 1 that’s -1. But.

But there’s another way of looking at this. Chelsea dropped two, we dropped 2. City gained 1, we gained 1. I think the margins at the top and between the top teams will be and are wafer thin.

I would expect us to go into the Eithiad thinking we might steal 3 points, will probably get 1. In the same way as CFC will travel to Anfield hoping for 3 expecting 1.

Yes, you’re meant to win your home games. But that maxim is strict for the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield. Is it written in stone in the same way for us, City, Chelsea etc. against each other? Perhaps not. I do think drawing with City at home washes with draw with CFC at the Bridge. But, as I say, YMMV.

Suss repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe? perhaps? LOL. there's no maybe at all. :)

what's YMMV?

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. It helped that Guardiola was holding City back in fear of a conceding from a quick transition.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    reading the pre-match and now post-match media reports, there is no doubt that we are totally messing with pep's head. reports saying that yesterday was the first time - in any league - he's adjusted his tactics to avoid getting walloped, :)

Red Bird and bayred repped this.