Liverpool FC vs Man City - CL QF Leg 1 - Apr 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 1, 2018.

1. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing result. I would never have dreamed it. Well done Reds!

Still, a second leg to play...

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not cool that business with the bus though folks.....

3. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Was there a game today?

LiverpoolFanatic and usscouse repped this.
  4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wasn't really thinking of the ManC game. Any time you go down to 10 against a top attacking side you are in big trouble. I have no trouble erasing that one from the memory banks.

I was really referring to all the other games where our collective defence was shambolic and we gave up silly goals to turn wins into draws or draws into losses.

5. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And I expect there are a fair number of free kicks and penalties included for Ronaldo?

6. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horse, then cart. One game at a time.

CB-West repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We blew a 3-0 lead at home to Sevilla in 45 minutes.
    I’m not counting this a victorious tie just yet...

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They need 5 if we score one...

usscouse repped this.
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's possible... but unlikely.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Just tippy toed in from the beach with the grandkids. Peeked at this thread to see how it went. Wow Salah gets the first. Perks up a bit Oc gets the second. Now I am sitting up. Bam! Sane gets the third all in the first half.
    That's the way it's done.

Thanks for the comms and comments guys just what we needed after a nervous week getting to it.

We're all feeling pretty euphoric right now. But we really have to play next week on their sod. Leave the bus in the parking lot and play them to a standstill.

11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One game at a time folks...a GREAT win today, but we’ve got a quick turnaround vs Everton early on Saturday

12. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great result. Never thought we'd win 3-0. Especially impressed with not allowing a shot on goal. It will be interesting to see how Klopp plays it in the second game.

13. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I do agree that we had some poor results, but these were mostly at the start of the year, and I do think they somewhat were related to a lack of confidence.

14. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You kind of think i has to happen... realistically neither have much to fight for other than the prem title.

15. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    TAA was disciplined and focused for the whole game. Sane was shut down superbly and there was always help when he headed goal side.
    Lovren and VVD gobbled up everything that came on the box. City looked dangerous on a couple of corners but never directed a shot on target.
    The first goal showed why Bobby and Mo are special. Firmino's determination to create the chance and Salah's quick feet.
    The front 3 tore the City defense every which way and Ox ended up with a ton of room to blast the rocket.
    Most of us were worried that Milner was too old and too slow for City but, boy, did he come up big. He broke up City's play, won tackles, blocked shots, assisted for a goal.
    Mane is a fitness beast and deserved the goal, always threatening with his dribbles.
    Robertson kept drilling crosses into the box. His play was as disciplined as TAAs.

Yet, it's only the first half. If there is a team that can score goals in a hurry (other than Liverpool), it's ManCity. If they score early, who knows what happens. They played well and were better than us in the 2nd half.

We should start with the same attitude and energy in Manchester as we did in the last two games against them. Stay focused, stay disciplined, shut down DeBruyne and Sane. Easy, right?

What a great 3-0 this was to watch!!!

Suss, RevsLiverpool and CB-West repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was obvious that Citeh came out with the game plan to score in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half in order to be back in the game. Like Klopp said after the game, if they had the class and maturity to weather the storm without parking the bus like yesterday theyd be playing for the championship. The last 25 mins then felt rather flat and with a little more of said maturity they could have made it 4-0 or 5-0

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's only half-time in this, yes, but what a result! As important as the 3 goals and a win are, not conceding an away goal was just as crucial. That was Anfield at its raucous and it helped propel the team forward. We did slacken off in the second half a tad but the damage had been done in the first.

I hope that the injury to Salah isn't that serious.

Bring on the bitters!

LiverpoolFanatic, CB-West and Suss repped this.
  18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, just a routine European night at Anfield.

Talking of which, pretty much everyone in red played well. Man City’s defending, however, was equally as bit as bad as Liverpool’s has been in the first half of the season. And de Bruyne, starved of space, wasn’t the player he has been most of the season— still think Silva is a better player myself.

Finally, remember Alexander-Arnold is only 29 years old. What a performance!

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    When you think about it. We're the only team to have pressured their defence this season. They've never real had their defence tested.

Until Liverpool.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as we played, City and Pep totally bottled it. Before the game they were shitting themselves about the bus reception, guaranteeing it would escalate. As soon as I saw Pep crying about it in the interview before the game I felt like we had it in the bag.

On the pitch Pep bottled his tactics. Instead of trying to play straight up with his usual team, he benches Sterling because he knows Sterling's head goes in these games and tries to play a lopsided formation which left Walker all alone to deal with Robinson, Milner and Mane.

If you want to win the league, hire Pep. If you want to win the CL, Pep doesn't look like he knows how to do it when he doesn't have Messi pull them through.

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as we all want to win the league, LFC in the CL is better than anything.

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just in, winning the CL. Don't want to become Arsenal and work hard for a top 4 spot just to make an annual round of 16 exit.

LiverpoolFanatic and SamScouse repped this.
  23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main worry was about him playing right back. Being in the midfield allowed him to help when needed both ways. We also said his experience guaranteed a professional and intelligent performance - the question was the energy he would have. He absolutely gave it his all for sure.

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd never be resigned to that fate. When we have our shit together, we go deep more times than not.