Liverpool FC vs Leicester - EPL - Jan 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 27, 2017.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really hope Keita was instructed not to run at these bastards because if he wasn't, that's very disappointing.

LorneMarvello repped this.
  2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think so too... he did foul too much but I liked what he did. He could be better but the great interplay with Bobby to draw the penalty SHOULD have been the overall talking point of the entire match, frankly.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a draw that feels like a loss.

can't believe I'm po'd at being 5 points clear.

the fact is we had very few players who are playing up to form at the moment. hopefully we can get out of this funk fast.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it could be used to give a red card -- not "insist" though, not sure why you're using that word exactly.

5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well - nobody has mentioned the nasty state of the pitch...which didn't get a lot of talk up from the coms either...

The tough part is, two opportunities to move 7 points clear at the top, and we've missed them both...

I too, was surprised that Salah stayed on for the duration, he really did not do much, other than fall over a couple times looking for a free kick...please don't let that become your "go-to" move Mo...you are so much better than that

We go again...

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes. It ain't gonna be easy.....

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I meant for an upstairs ref who saw that Maguire was the last man with any chance of catching Mane (to insist upon the awareness of the ref who didn't see that = atkinson).
    I suppose I mean would the ref have decide to to check with them, or couild they insist to him that he got it wrong?

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sounded that way to me too (albeit on the radio)

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they could tell him that he got it wrong, for sure. But the issue is they probably wouldn't -- one of the first stipulations in the breakdown of the DOGSO red card is that it must take into account how far away from the goal the foul occurs, and this incident was far from goal.

It's pretty clearly a yellow for me, according to the rules.

10. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well the officiating certainly didn't help us today. That being said, we were living dangerously at times and lucky not to concede more so I suppose that evens out.

Not a great performance. But on the upside we have increased our lead by one point. If offered, probably would have taken that a week ago.

14 games to go .........

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    next 3 Prem games could tell the tale (plus we have a difficult CL game in there as well)

Us ...................... City
    WHam ..............Arsenal
    B'mouth ........... Everton
    Manure............. Chelsea

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    last season we won 2-1 so now we are +6 points comparing last season's exact-same fixtures.

Wingtips1, soccershaggy and EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But doesn't it basically say - well imply anyway - if the attacker is clear on goal. They aren't taking into account the fact that no player is ever catching Mane in that situation, and he is as clear on goal at the halfway line as the next guy is on the edge of the box.. (That was Jan Molby's reading of it anyway - I want to see it....)

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right... i think a ball somewhat into the channel toward the edge of the box, at that place on the pitch, is probably a better chance at a counter opportunity rather than clear cut GSO. The distance being mentioned in the rule is all you need to justify the call, it was far away from the box and it doesn't really matter if the defenders could have "caught" Mane and cut off some of the space and kept him from a clear 1 v 1... but I think they were in fine position to do just that because the ball wasn't exactly right in Mane's path headed toward the pen spot.

But either way, the fact that there's controversy suggests it's at the very least not a super, super obvious call. I think the mention of distance is enough... for me at least.

15. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree he is not doing what he did at rbl

We really missed a chance to stretch our lead to 7.

But we didn't deserve to win we were too slow and negative with the ball

16. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Whew we rode a good bit of luck today. Bad day at the office, lackluster performance vs a good side, but ended up gaining a point on the big oils. Walk on.

delaynomo repped this.
  17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This was our first really poor result this season. The first time we failed to win against a team outside the top 5.

Yes we all would have signed for a 5 point lead at this point before the season or even a few days ago, but nobody would have taken it before kickoff today. This was a major disappointment.

The ref was terrible. The blown penalty call with Keita was the difference in the game. It was a great bit of play between Keita and Firmino. The ref gave a minimum of 4 minutes of stoppage time. Late in stoppage time he had to book a Leceister player for time wasting. He then blows the final whistle only 8 seconds beyond the minimum 4 minutes while Liverpool had the ball in the final third. How does that make any sense?

I can’t wait until we play again to get this bad taste out of my mouth. We need to beat West Ham to get back rolling again. Another Liverpool free weekend will be brutal as we wait for Monday.

delaynomo, EruditeHobo and burning247 repped this.
  18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Regardless of the letter of the law, I fancy Mane's chances if he hadn't been pulled back .........

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It seems the "run at them" instructions were given to Matip instead by mistake.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    usscouse and SamScouse repped this.
  21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Refereeing decisions sometimes go your way and sometimes not. I thought the referee was a coward. But so were some of our players, too, and that was infinitely more unforgivable. Klopp will need to have a word.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last couple of minutes - Lallana is through on goal and he cuts back instead of shooting. I was sure he was going to shoot - but I guess that was a sign of his lack of confidence and lack of match time.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we were architects of our own loss if points. I counted theee times when Leicester players were out of position and could have been undone by quick decisive passing but, no. Back and sideways, slowly and ponderously, allowing Leicester to regain shape and defensive lines.

If Atkinson was coward for that Maguire decision or the foul on Keita, were even more cowardly with our decision-making.

24. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Horrible weather , horrible pitch and a horrible ref . All those factors combined resulted in a sub par performance from the team. Same for both teams, I know but our edge over most sides comes from our high skill levels , slick passing and tricky dribbling . Much of that was negated last night and the odd time we actually penetrated eg Keita through on goal then the ref turned a blind eye.

Not the end of the world , three points would have been so nice but another in the bag is still okay too.

zaqualung and newterp repped this.
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It absolutely was a factor. And it doesn't work both ways really because Leeeechester's game was predicated mainly on long balls while we were still trying to play on the ground for the most part.