Liverpool FC vs Huddersfield Town - EPL - Oct 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 25, 2017.

1. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A good day. Happy for Huddersfield Town they're living the dream, happy that we did do the business and kept a clean sheet to boot. Couldn't watch this one, I'll get onto the replays now.

2. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a needed three points with three goals but besides that to me we look like a mid-table team.
    Our passing was atrocious for most of the game and we had no players with any guile. For the money and Status some of these players supposedly have no one had any interest in driving from the Midfield and making something happen.
    And not to pick on him but Matip should just stay and hang out with Migs during Corner kicks because he had open opportunities to head the ball and couldn't even get it on the frame

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How many mid-table teams have a bus parked against them week in and week out? How many mid-table teams have 75% possession?

Since when is 3 goals, 75% possession, and a clean sheet without allowing any significant chances not good enough?

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Clean sheet, 3 goals- should've been 4. I'll take it.

Could we have been better? Of course, but its a good response to the mess of last week, against a team with its heads up after their result last week.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Going in my thought was damn, if there's any current manager in the prem that could defend a Klopp team it's Wagner and Huddersfield. But either way, well done Reds.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watched the game again, this time without angst and u must say that Gomez was outstanding.

7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    with the wealth the epls social makeup has changed in the last 25 years

8. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had 75% possession because Huddersfield did park the bus.
    Our passing was barely mid-table level and some of our passing was embarrassing for a Sunday League. The fortunate part for us is huddersfield's passing was just as bad or maybe worse. They have an excuse as they are a newly-promoted team, which cost a small fraction of what ours cost, but I doubt Wagner will be happy with their passing.

As I stated before our Midfield looked like they had no confidence to attack their team. Keita, Coutinho, or Lallana may have helped but it doesn't mean that the players we had out there shouldn't have done better.
    There have been games where we've lost and I've been happy with their performance because sometimes time, no matter how well you play, things just don't work out but in this case I thought their play was poor and if they came up against a better side the score would have been much different. We played CL minnow and scored seven but that result didn't make me believe we would do the same thing against Tottenham and they're the type of team we need to be competing against.
    As far as who else plays against teams that park the bus I would say any of the top six teams who are playing against the bottom half teams

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If you only saw the first half I'd say your comments were 100% accurate. we were dismal.

but for some reason you're (a) not giving any credit for a very professional and effective 2nd half and (b) you're ignoring the fact that our 3 most creative players were out injured. so overall your criticism is lopsided and imo not warranted.

LiverpoolFanatic, newterp and burning247 repped this.
  10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's also forgetting the fact that normally we would end that game 0-0.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  11. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've also played games where we only allowed two shots and they scored both and we had many shots and couldn't put one in. It's not the outcome that I'm complaining about it's the overall ability or lack thereof that we show during the game. Another example would be Matip basically free headers that he couldn't put on frame

12. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The play in the second half was a little better and could be partly due to Huddersfield having to try to attack a little more but I still didn't think it was great. It was effective and I think that's what made it feel better than it actually was.
    I didn't ignore the lack of some of our creative players, it's mentioned in the post. I do think the players that we had out there especially in Midfield should have shown more than they did

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Relief. 3 points!

newterp and usscouse repped this.
  14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's just the beginning!

kopiteinkc repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no it wasn't great - but what's so bad about effective? we can't blow the doors off the opposition every game, as much as it'd be nice to see.

StiltonFC repped this.
  16. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that and a 3-0 score line is great. Our passing and attacking from the midfield was not. I'm worried if we play that way against a better team we'll get punished for it. Think about our result against Maribor then Tottenham.

17. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's be clear. Huddersfield Town has a reasonably effective defense most of the time. they've surrendered fewer goals than three teams above them in the table and have the same GA as Gunners. 7 of the 13 goals they've conceded were scored by Spurs and Liverpool, and they beat ManU. in the other 8 matches HT played, they gave up 6 goals.

putting 3 in the net was a good outing.

18. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They parked the bus (for the most part)...Klopp and the Reds found the keys...

It was good - more of the same - even if we misplace a few passes...

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There were also 4 opposition players in the box by the time Salah kicked the ball .......

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.