Liverpool FC vs Burnley - EPL - Mar 12 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 6, 2017.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Poor performance though an important win nonetheless but I think our inconsistency of looking great one week and dire the next is likely to continue until our terribly thin squad gets bolstered with some better options .

Our bench looked decidedly again green yesterday and included four teenagers AA,Woodburn ,Gomez and Wilson. With Firmino,Sturridge and Ings out Klopp had only Origi available for the striker role. Sakho has not been replaced ,Lovren is often injured so we've also seen a cmf Lucas used as a cb, not ideal . Whenever Hendo is out ,we revert to Can who has also struggled with calf problems and iffy form. Grujic being out injured all season has reduced options there too. At lb we have a backup who Klopp seems to have very little confidence in as he rarely if ever starts Moreno and has preferred a 31 yr old converted mf'r instead.
    It's really frustrating watching a dire perfromance like yesterday and a number of players clearly off the boil then looking to the bench to see few, if any, real options to change the game. Next season we're gonna need better quality options in most positions in our squad to better handle injuries and off form players especially if we manage to nick a cl spot.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I wonder if any of you guys have realized that we WON yesterday. A come from behind victory to beat a team who have been spoilers for more than just us this season. A hard working organized team who scored a terrific goal against us.

3 good points.

3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep, an important good three points , scouse but I think few will be pleased with the performance.What worked well what didn't and where we do need improve? For me yesterday was a poor performance despite the result . While we regularly turn on the style v the big teams I think yesterday once again showed that we aren't doing the same v the lesser squads.

Consistency............ once we show that v all opponents we'll be a force.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll take 10 more performances and results like that, thank you very much.
    Not pretty, but the result is the ONLY thing that matters at the moment.
    Beat citeh this weekend, and we are in with a shout for 2nd place.

imasyko repped this.
  5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree the 3 points are hugely important and we'll deffo take them though being more consistent will make three points each week more likely. I just think a stronger squad will help that.

6. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i don't know how anyone can be singled out for having a bad game -- everyone was poor bar gini and migs (a couple of really strong punches on lofted crosses he used to retreat to his line for -- great to see). can won us the game. three points.

Fussballer and speker repped this.
  7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    speker repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL during the game I thought ... we should ask the ref not to bother awarding them to us and save everyone the time and trouble.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    really? I don't think I could bear watching them, and my heart/BP wouldn't thank me if I did.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was thinking this morning speke: each time we lose even ONE of the "first 11" -- it doesn't matter if it's Phil, Mane, Lovren, Hendo, whoever - our form takes a hit. We've been without reliable, proven bench options for too long.

CB-West and speker repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, yes and yes, Sam.

12. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    at one point he awarded a goal kick on what i though was a sure corner and my instinct was to be frustrated by it, but then i thought it doesn't matter anyway -- not going to even come close to scoring. it might even be better for us so they won't have a chance to counter.

13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well - so much for the blitz...but thanks for the win!

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    With Matip/Klavan/Lovren, we have three players that have scored a few goals in their day. But there isn't a third target in the box and that really hurts us.
    When was the last time Can or Hendo scored one with their head? They're both over 6' and should pose some threat...

Suss repped this.
  15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One thing that bothered me was how easily Burnley was able to turn free kicks from their own half into chances. We have been keeping a very high line on all set pieces. I think the purpose of it is to prevent teams from playing the ball close to our goalkeepers who are not strong in the air. However, it results in our defenders trying to defend while running backwards and causes chaos in our penalty area. Several times a free kick taken by their goalkeeper resulted in a chance.

When we get a set piece in our own half just play the ball short. As someone else pointed out, we are hardly a threat from corners, and we have to hold our breath anytime we concede a corner.

The overall point is that we are easily bullied. These simple tactics would not work against a team with a goalkeeper who can command the penalty area, and dominant centerbacks (or midfielders) who can win balls in the air. It's something that Chelsea don't seem to struggle as much with. This needs to be addressed in the transfer market.

speker, RevsLiverpool and newterp repped this.
  16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's very noticeable that Can is poor in the air. He should be part of the solution to the problem that I outlined in the above post, but he is not.

He is one of the biggest men on the pitch but does nothing to prevent the bullying tactics.

17. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, we were bound to win ugly but performances like that won't fetch us 3pts very often. Why are Can and Coutinho so inconsistent? Would Gini have scored that one on the road? Why are our FBs so shite at going forward? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, we won and got all 3 but the cracks are still there.

18. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Another one I missed due to work, really happy with the fact we played like sh*t (like we generally do against lower level sides) but were able to keep it together and grind out the ugly, jammy win. 3 points is 3 points, as they say.

19. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was fully ready to offer Can a cigarette and a blindfold, based on his countless missed passes and overall languid play.

But then...

A few desultory observations:

a) Every time Mignolet has a goal kick, it's a 75-25 bet that the opposing team will end up with the ball;
    b) It is testimony to how crap the England NT is that Clyne is the flavor of the month at RB;
    c) Officiating in the BPL is impossible to understand;
    d) When a Liverpool player has the ball deep in the box and is trying to cross the ball, with the intention of winning a corner, it would make as much sense to bunt the ball over the line to concede a goal kick.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Never mind targets, step one is to find someone who can actually take a half decent corner on a consistent basis.

SamScouse and imasyko repped this.
  21. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    A corner is an advantage for the attacking team which makes all the more frustrating watching those poor executions