Liverpool FC vs Burnley - EPL - Mar 12 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 6, 2017.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On the contrary, the level of coaching is subpar. The level of football is subpar. And it shows in results. It might be more competitive if thats what you're trying to say. Yes perhaps, more competitive on a lower quality level of football. That is why all the foreign coaches are getting imported to somehow make up for this gap. Plus the amount of money that is thrown around helps to somehow level the field with individual class. In other leagues even more so tactics level the field. That is why inventions like tiki-taka or gegenpressing or catennaccio happened elsewhere while EPLs last invention was kick&rush.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 RevsLiverpool, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    You're on to something here. I think the attack is set for years to come. As seen today and all season, the way Klopp sets the team up, the outside backs Milner and Clyne play a pivotal role by driving crosses in. When they aren't getting these crosses past the first defender, they're getting intercepted, or the central players aren't able to do anything with them, this needs to change. To do that, get a couple new outside backs.

For example, Clyne is a steady but not great right back and represents a weak point. There's a clear pattern of teams going after him. To address this, Klopp should sell Can and Lucas this summer then turn the profit into high end outside backs. Move Milner back into the midfield. That would instantly transform crossing, influence the game upfield and make Liverpool that much tougher to score against.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the next battle-- half-decent fullbacks. Milner almost always cuts back onto his right foot and Clyne, once he sees anybody in front of him, stops and passes back or sideways. Frustrating.

Fussballer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milner is a very average midfielder these days - every time he's wanted to play there/was played there - he was ended up being shifted back out to the wing/outside. And now at 31 - I don't think he can play the high energy midfield that Klopp needs. He's doing ok at LB (obviously better than we'd get with Moreno) - but yes we can use an upgrade at LB for sure.

I think Clyne remains steady and solid defensively - but offers very little in the final third apart from a willingness to make the overlapping run.

Sir Niney repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Klopp's tactics work because Mane isn't afraid to go 1v1. We need backs (and mids) with the same mentality. The variable is confidence.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll get there. I think given the resources and constraints, Klopp is doing nicely. He needs support this summer (from the scouts and owners) if we are to continue to make progress.

Wingtips1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol at you sorry way to biased liverpool showed you eurofroots how to pass the ball properly in the 70s and 80s, epl teams are under so much pressure due to the amount of cash they stand to lose.

nothing special about you germans, bayern get to cherry pick all the best germans even from their main rivals its a stupid bias.

8. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    clyne had about 10 chances to take on their back I think he tried once, its better to try and fail 9 times then get a swee cross in for a goal on the 10th, thats all steve stone did for nottm forest back in the day.

Red Bird and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need a right back with balls to attack and pace to get back. But the second half of that equation is better movement upfront. Nothing more frustrating against lower tier teams than watching our guys standing there waiting for something to happen rather than moving, dragging defenders away and making something happen.

hubbabubba and jeffcoop repped this.
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unfortunately, I agree that Milner isn't very good through the middle, despite that he thinks he is.

11. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't believe that Burnley pass made it all the way through.

I would have have flipped out had George not scored the equalizer with that opportunity.

shocked Can scored from that distance. Nice to see something go right for him this season.

12. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought the passing was terrible. Even the passes that went to our player was behind and slowed the attack.

I'm usually a defender of Can but besides his goal and a nice pass to Mane, he was horrible.

Important 3 points as they all will be for the rest of the season

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    They put two first class crosses early on. Behind the defence and in front of the keeper. Scored from the second. I don't remember any thing like them from our team. We're still trying to walk the ball on or to tippy tappy it into the 6 yard box.
    Aguero gets most of his goals from those crosses as does Sanches. Yet we don't even try it.

SamScouse repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    woodburn almost got a beauty into Mane near the end - but it was cut out for a corner

usscouse repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I thought Matip and Klavan did OK?

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good to get a win in a game where we were not at our best.
    Opportunistic finish by Gini - very composed and clinical. Let's see him do that away from home!
    Can - one very good moment with a lot of other dodgy ones.
    Matip - class.
    Everybody else - average.

RevsLiverpool and usscouse repped this.
  18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm very ok with us winning ugly against teams we've struggled against in 2017.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're right. It was good to get the win. Where we were not at our best is an interesting way to put it. We don't seem at our best with any team below, say 10th place. Odd isn't it.
    Anyway, we'll see how our strange state of play works out again next match. Citeh away.
    Yeah, funny to see Gino trying to keep his composure and get that ball away and the defense trying to anticipate and getting it all wrong.

20. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stayed out of the thread during the game, as I have for the last month or so. I watched only the second half, and thus was spared the misery of watching Burnley take the early lead. I understand from the commentators (and from comments here) that the second half was better than the first, which means the first must have been truly dreadful, because the second half was poor. Clyne was useless going forward, I wasn't even aware Milner was on the pitch for about twenty minutes, and the corners were pitiful. A win is a win, and I'll take it happily, but it was not fun to watch.

21. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well...Can did...at least once...but I'm not sure he can on a regular basis...

There - I hd to say it. :rolleyes:

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The corners .... what can you even say - there is almost no point in taking them these days.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's the same problem as mentioned when we had problems defending corners: the player types for those situations just arent there

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I had to record the game.

thank god for fast-forward.