Liverpool FC vs Bayern Munich - CL - Feb 19 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 9, 2019.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likewise because they couldn't create many good chances (which they didn't) it doesn't mean they didn't play well.

This reminds me of the PSG away; I don't know about here, but personally I know a lot of LFC fans who said that, too, was a bad performance. I looked at that and saw PSG score some kind of unfortunate goals, but I felt like LFC pretty much dominated the 2nd half and could have scored at least 2 and taken a good result from there.

Bayern only created a few things that were mostly built on Liverpool mistakes. Admittedly they had some good wing play, for which they only had a few corners and some skied shots that were never going in to show. They had some good pieces of possession and did frustrate the press at times, but LFC not being able to really test Neuer when their box was crowded with Bayern defenders for a lot of those sequences doesn't mean much. LFC's final ball does need to be better, but this was a really good performance without VVD who many consider to be the catalyst that makes LFC successful these days -- the 4th choice CB and a DM weren't troubled by Bayern, which is a testament to the collective effort over the course of the full 90.

But yeah... Mane should have probably scored a goal in the 1st half.

Salah, I mean you can say was very bad, but he was surrounded by Bayern for the vast majority of the match and was trying to make things work often against a box thick with Bayern defenders. Can't really agree with you there at all.

newterp, usscouse and imasyko repped this.
  2. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Saw this as a very good performance overall, apart from some dodgy finishing. Fab and Henderson were immense, and overcame their wings getting the better of our fullbacks. Keita ran out of steam in the second half but is showing his quality more and more. Let's go to Munich and get a result.

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall someone saying that Hendo is inconsistent. True dat. He's not perfect all of the time.

imasyko repped this.
  4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #129 Red Bird, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Only thing we could have done better, apart from Mané and Matip burying their chances, was to take advantage of Salah’s being triple teamed to create breakthroughs. But we go again and it will be very different in Munich. Robbed and Goretzka will be back for. Bayern, van Dijk and nominally Fabinho will also be back for Liverpool. Maybe, also, we’ll have shaken off the rust from a his long mid season break. We never hit the stride from the get go , it seems to me.

EruditeHobo, speker and bayern is god repped this.
  5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More Hendo love:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rson-liverpool-bayern-munich-champions-league

imasyko repped this.
  6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Bayern had any real chances all game. So a lot of credit to the defense. Tremendous amounts even.

I noted earlier - this was a learning experience for Robertson - I don't think I've seen him get turned multiple times in a game before and whiff on a tackle!

Good team performance - minus the goals.

soccershaggy repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fabinho/Henderson/Firmino were the best of our players this match.

Should have scored a few today. Mane's first half chance, Mo's fluffing and pussing out of a free header in the second being the best of the bunch.

TAA is having a 'sophomore slump' kind of season. Positionally wasn't very good last night. If he is going to be a CM, his passing has to get much better - felt like any time he tried to play a ball on the ground it was intercepted or blocked.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I agree with both gists here.... That was a tight tense game and we were definitely the more dominant attacking team. On another day Sala h scores that header from Trent's in-box lob cross and Mane puts his shot away .....

I don't really see them outscoring us frankly, so I'm quite optimistic....
    I thought, overall it was a pretty good performance. Happy Enough with it, actually...

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I wouldn't say we have to work on it. Matip you don't expect to be out main finisher. Mane and Salah are usually pretty deadly....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One final thing. We created quite a bit more "almost in on goal" moments than they did, and in Munich they are going to come at us a bit more, leaving a bit more space for those moments to better develop.
    We are one of the top sides in europe right now, and that was against another one of them...
    We just need to finish the job in 3 weeks.... It won't be easy, but why should it be....

11. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Liverpool should go through despite the draw. Bayern is not impressive at all.

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wouldn't go that far - they were defensively impressive... but they have to withstand another 90 minutes of this. I don't think they will.....

imasyko and EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna depend on if their midfield gives them a better foothold from which to spring their attack in the 2nd leg.

I think LFC have a good shot at going through as well, but it's going to be an interesting match no matter what.

14. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Definitely Bayern:p:p:p

WE = LIVERPOOL

15. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Exactly my thinking which is why I didn't think this was a good performance...WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER AND CLINICAL THAN THAT HONESTLY...Especially after that break in Marbella I expected us to blitz them like City/Roma last year.

16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We haven’t had a good blitzing win like City/Roma last year, since, well...the wins over City and Roma last year...

I’m in for a good one over ManU this Sunday to get us back on track!!!

:D:cool:

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what is idiotic? 3 weeks until the return leg...... facking UEFA greedy bastards

usscouse, owian and EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lies, damm lies, and statistics but I actually think the XG stats on this one tell the story of the game. On another day we come out deserved 2-0 winners. BUT we didn't so I give the advantage to Bayern even if it's just a slight one.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So you didn't like how he played yesterday?

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was better than great, but not perfect.

usscouse repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So....leg 2 anyone?