Liverpool FC vs Bayern Munich - CL - Feb 19 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 9, 2019.

1. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George needs to get out of the way when Mo is dancing with the ball in the box!

2. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milner and Origi?

3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keita off for Milner

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lacking that certain sharpness to create a clear chance at the moment.

5. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby off for Origi

6. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's two good chances that have fallen to Joel Matip. Not exactly the guy you want in that instance.

Dammit.

7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    our finishing has been very poor

Everything we did in the last third didn't come off

And yet I'm quite happy with 0-0

8. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Any Score draw or Win at the Allianz and we are through and I'm confident we'll finish the job in Munich.

They will attack us and we will have spaces to score but need to be clinical with some of those gilt edged chances today.

Hummels -Sule -Kimmich with a Defensive masterclass,not many teams come to Anfield and give us such a Stern test like Bayern did tonight but still confident we'll progress in Germany.

YNWA.

soccershaggy repped this.
  9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Welp...can’t win if you don’t score...but can’t lose if you don’t allow a score either...

Gotta work on our finishing...we had some decent chances...but only two shots on target...

Now we can talk about ManU at the weekend...;)

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good performance, the final ball just wasn't there against what was very often a packed Bayern penalty box...

Mane had a chance in the 1st that should have been the opener, but it was awkward.

I'll happily take a 1-0 or 1-1 in Munich, which feels very possible.

CB-West, usscouse and soccershaggy repped this.
  11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good solid work from our makeshift defense. Hard work from our attack but they couldn't get that vital touch.

Good game to watch though. Wooda been gooda with us scoring.

CB-West and EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CBs were immense.

The fullbacks, fair play that they were asked to do a lot, but I thought they were the worst LFC players on the pitch -- that said I still thought overall both of them did well and I can only imagine they did a LOT of running. I didn't see the numbers but I'm sure it's quite high.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Felt like we were way too excited to make the perfect pass and just ended up f ucking it up 9 times out of 10. TAA and Robo were poor by their standards. Gini had great presence but his passing was a horror show. Salah still looks off, like he has the last few games. Mane should have had 2 for us in the first half.

Not our best and I'm really starting to wonder if these long breaks do more harm than good. Nevertheless, we go to Munich with a clean slate and I think we have as good of a chance as ever to progress.

newterp repped this.
  14. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    That was far from a good performance,We were poor and can play a lot better as most of us know.We hardly worked Neuer and Salah was Abysmal.

I somehow feel we came into this tie knowing our front three would blitz their defensive line and went with the media narrative whilst underestimating them.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is "we" Liverpool or Bayern? ;)

bayern is god and EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm confident for the second leg. Bayern have to throw numbers back and defend because of our front three. That keeps them from what they do going forward. If they decide to attack us, our front three will dice them up.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Kept a clean sheet with a far from number 1 centreback pairing. VVD is back. Kimmich will be out. We've got a great chance at getting the right result in Munich.

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Frustrating not to score, but the away goal rule makes 0-0 at home a decent result. I thought both centerbacks were very good, as was our midfield.

If we win at Old Trafford it’s a great week. I think Klopp only makes one change to the team, to bring Van Dijk back in. I think he will have to consider keeping Fabinho at centerback and replacing Matip. Both Henderson and Fabinho were excellent tonight.

Wingtips1 and augie repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing not to trouble Neur more, what with all of the takeaways we forced in the final third. Fabinho was immense as VVD's replacement. I hope they have to play Martinez again in the second leg.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was the man of the match for Bayern.

Javi Martínez: 51 touches 3 aerial duels won 2 key passes 2 tackles 5 interceptions 3 clearances 9/16 duels won

I thought it was a very entertaining game. Back and forth. Giving up possession was a good call from Kovac. Looking forward to the return leg.

22. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he also looked like a traffic cone at times as our players went around him.Maybe he was so involved because we targeted him? Speaking of targeting, we really should have had a go at Kimmich after his early yellow.

23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not the worst result for us and I'm confident we'll get a good result in Munich but we'll have to execute much better than we did today.
    The final ball was lacking so often today it wasn't funny. We opened them up a few times in the first half but failed to penetrate and create any decent chances in the second .
    After ten days eagerly waiting for this game it was a bit of a let down. Hopefully we've got more in the tank for United.

bayern is god repped this.
  24. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #125 usscouse, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    I have to say that we performed, with the team we had, better than I expected.
    For a final comment though I have to give a shout to the man who hasn't had a mention, yet performed brilliantly in defense and attack. The skipper, Jordan Henderson.

owian, augie, Wingtips1 and 5 others repped this.