Liverpool FC vs Barcelona - CL SF Leg 2 - May 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, May 5, 2019.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    vs

[​IMG]

20:00 Tue 7th May 2019

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No dembele for them

No firmino for us .... no salah?

3 goals down ....

LET’S DO THIS!

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Scholesy said he'd like 4-0. I said don't go easy on them, lets go for 6-0 :D

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salah is out.

5. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Just saw it too on the official site...If he was apparently chilling in the room at Newcastle after the match and seemed good to go on Tuesday what exactly has happened in the interim??...This is a huge Blow and hope Klopp isnt holding him back for Sunday...Honestly without Bobby & Salah i dont see a comeback coming :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

6. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...d-salah-barcelona-champions-league-concussion

He's OK but cant play cause a diagnosis of Concussion was made...To lose not one but 2 of our Front three now of all times must be the cruelest luck Ever.

Our Mountain against Barcelona just got a whole lot Bigger....Bobby & Firmino are the ones most capable of producing moments of Genius to decide games and we need several moments on Tuesday night minus our two talismans..Hate to say it but i honestly dont see any way out.

I would play Mane through the middle ,Shaq on the Right and Divock on the Left.

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Potential secondary injury from the concussion.

We’ll probably win the match tomorrow but, really, not scoring in Barcelona has stacked the deck against us.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just keep Sturridge off the pitch.

Fussballer and soccershaggy repped this.
  9. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    How about the ox ?

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not sure if he'd be fit enough for 90 mins, but put him in Bobby's place would work for me.

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp will have to come up with something creative for us to have a chance. He doesn’t like Shaqiri in the front 3 of a 4-3-3 because he doesn’t have the pace to get in behind. Maybe we could go 3 at the back?

Allison
    Gomez Matip Virgil
    Trent Fabinho Hendo Robertson
    Shaq Mane Origi
    Try to win the game with the wingbacks.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    tomorrow is our 3rd game in 6 days.

Barca made 11 changes for their weekend game.

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember Mourinho fielding a weakened team in the match previous to that semi-final at Anfield since Chelsea had already clinched the league.

As I said, Liverpool will probably will this one but not scoring away goals will make going through doubly difficult. Still, Anfield will be up for this one.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but its a bit of risk to expect to get 90 out of him.

Ultimately the selection depends on the result tonight. If City drop points, then I'm tempted to hold something back for the weekend.

How about a mad Brewster start?

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #15 Samarkand, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Strange to think this season has 2, maximum of three, games left. For a while there, we were all Robert Earl Keen, "The Road Goes On Forever, The Party Never Ends". This game against Barca is going to test Liverpool severely and all indications are that we will come up short. 3-0 down from the first leg, the lack of an away goal is looming larger and larger. So is the first priority to stop Barca getting one? Which would mean we'd need 5. If we manage to stop Barca, we still have to score 3 just to get to extra time. (As a sidebar, I've always thought that away goals should not count as double if scored in extra time. Liverpool had 90 minutes in Spain, Barcelona should have the same in England; extra time should be away goal neutral. But anyway...).

We are without Firmino, Salah and Keita, three players who make just about most sides in the world, so let's not kid ourselves that our bench is deep enough. It's not, no one's would be, to withstand the loss of those three.

Let's start with the defense. VVD, Matip and Robertson to start. The RB position is between Gomez and TAA. I completely understand Gomez in the first leg. With the exception of Man City in the first leg last season, TAA has too often looked vulnerable in big games. He handled Sane very well in that game, but too often he has struggled. A lot of this is down to having Salah rather than Firmino or Mane in front of him. Nevertheless, defensively, Gomez is the better option. But Gomez does not have the same elan and attacking verve that TAA has. You don't rack up 11 or 12 assists by accident. In many respects this choice will define the team's entire focus and approach. If Gomez, then it's a counter attacking game, keeping home safe; if TAA, it's heavy-metal, high-pressing, looking to overwhelm them early and often. Again, if TAA and we do manage to claw back 2 or 3, I could see Gomez replacing him late on.

Midfield is a starker choice with Keita out. Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson. With Milner lurking on the bench, probably going to see some minutes.

Up front is where things should be interesting. Mane starts. Now who alongside him? Sturridge and Origi? I think not, not Sturridge anyway. I think the forgotten man, Shaqiri, sees a start here with Origi.

As to how this game will end? Well I read somewhere that some statistician had worked out a 6% chance of success for Liverpool. And this was before Firmino and Salah were ruled out. So if the same person were to recalculate, I'd imagine we'd be down to about 1-2%. But football's not played on Excel sheets.

Last season in the QFs, Barcelona hammered Roma 4-1 at the Camp Nou, setting up a mouthwatering SF with Liverpool. Except Roma destroyed Barca 3-0 in Rome, to put a stop to those plans. Essentially this is the same Barca team, so there is that. They fielded a B side in La Liga at the weekend (and lost) unlike us who have to be buoyed by the win and the manner of it against Newcastle. So there is that, too. Barca played almost the perfect game in the Camp Nou in the first leg, so you'd have to wonder if lightening strikes twice? So there's that, also.

Putting everything together, I do see a chance for Liverpool, especially if they score early and go into the break not having conceded. I don't see them scoring 4 (removing the 90 minutes option) and I don't see them scoring 5 (overcoming Barca scoring), so that leaves score 3 over 120 minutes, concede none and go to penalties. Stranger things have happened; but my head says Barca to advance.

Gilmango, Navieko, soccershaggy and 2 others repped this.
  16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was noted here somewhere - we had a similar game against Cheslki when Rafa was coaching...No torres and no gerrard in the second leg at Stamford bridge?

we did well with a pretty ok team - I think we have more talent now and I can see us giving it a real go.

I am hoping for 2 things -

1) Liverpool play to their potential at Anfield and feed off the crowd noise and slightly shorter pitch to press these dbags senseless and
    2) Barcelona are a bit complacent after the first leg.

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and converting chances that come our way— as Kloppo said “... you’re not going to have 500 chances... “ In Barcelona, we could quite easily have scored 2 goals.

usscouse repped this.
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ah crap .... I realize the Mail is basically a shit-disturber but .....

Virgil van Dijk and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain missed Liverpool training on the eve of their Champions League clash with Barcelona.

Jurgen Klopp's men are looking to overturn a 3-0 deficit against Barcelona in the second-leg of the semi-final at Anfield but the club will be without a number of key names, including Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino.

And there are injury concerns over Van Dijk and Chamberlain, who trained on their own at Melwood on Monday afternoon away from the rest of the squad.

There are no specific reasons why the Liverpool duo missed training but both still may be available to face the Catalan giants.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Oxlade-Chamberlain-ahead-Barcelona-clash.html

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It doesn't look like they're wrong. But Milan had it Won with 3 goals and 45 minutes to play. No sweat, right.

‘One goal at Anfield:’ Spanish press reveal Barcelona tactics as La Liga giants look to score early against Liverpool and reach Champions League final ‘without suffering’

Barcelona are preparing to visit Anfield on Tuesday with the hope of booking their place in the Champions League final, and reports in Spain claim the La Liga giants have a specific approach in mind.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...iants-look-score-early-against-Liverpool.html

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought this was already the case. I thought away goals don't count in ET. Am I dreaming?

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no idea myself, but wikipedia says ...

There is also the issue that if extra time is played in the second leg, the away team gets an extra 30 minutes to take advantage of the away goals rule.

22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Converting chances that come our way."
    I wish he'd have told the team that last Wednesday.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Can I respectfully request that you dream about 5 Liverpool goals rather than silly administrative stuff? :)

But the rules say away goals count as double when they’re scored, um, away from home. Injury time, extra time, real time. All the same.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Guess I'm thinking of MLS or CONCACAF Champions League.

And trust me, I do. Keep dreaming of Citeh stepping on their dick but they just won't do it.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, Leicester was my not so secret hope. Now to spend the next 6 days persuading myself that Brighton really are *that* good.

soccershaggy and newterp repped this.