Liverpool FC vs Arsenal - CC - Oct 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 28, 2019.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wanted progress because it means more games for the youngsters and fringe players. We need them to get experience and stay sharp.

B.A., LiverpoolFanatic and EruditeHobo repped this.
  2. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is who Origi is. He's horrific, and then he scores.

3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a whole lot of fun. I'm sure my neighbors are mystified by random shouts of DIVOCK!!!

soccershaggy and Suss repped this.
  4. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His winning penalty was outstanding.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/match?gameId=557911

delaynomo and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know that Citeh is getting one of them or they get each other and Citeh get the winner in the semis.

6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, he was not. He played a lot deeper than Brewster and Harvey, had more defensive duties due to Arsenal playing with two right sided players who rarely cut in, while on Harvey's side he had Ox supporting him. 95% pass completion from 38 passes, his defensive duties meant he was having a solid game before the goals. Had Klopp been taking this game more seriously he would have taken Brewster off or switched him and Origi but obviously the important thing was to give Brewster time and he did look a lot better in this game than he did in the last cup game (but the bar was pretty low).

Felt bad for VDB, he's been pretty poor for the youth teams so far and had a bad game. You could tell he knew it at the final whistle as he was the one player whose celebration seemed half-hearted. Only 17 and has a lot of time to go, but his indecision was a big problem today. It will improve.

Ox and Keita was smart against Genk with a full strength defence but with a makeshift back four and young keeper their marauding attacks left us exposed. Ox was the far better of the two, should have scored from an excellent Lallana pass, set up the first goal and scored another worldie. Hopefully he features in the next two games. Keita was OK but Jones outperformed him a lot when he came on. Made up for him scoring the winner. After the club championship we should be securing him and Brewster loans for the rest of the season.

Lallana was okay, recycled possession well but at times I don't think he helped out the defence enough. Gomez was excellent, showed real leadership qualities, did not let his head drop and was still trying to keep the back four organized despite its inexperience and rare mistake by Milner.

Williams was the revelation of the night. A more orthodox right back than Trent, Hooever or even Gomez when he plays there. Similar to Rob Jones. Really good game. Trent may have to be moved into midfield for the teams own good.

7. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much defense in this game... but it sure was exciting!

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams' boldness was interesting. The crossing didn't blow my mind apart from the last one of course... but yeah, his skills and technique to get out of tight spaces more than once was impressive. Defensive positioning and awareness, maybe not so much for me... but I'd have to watch again to have a strong opinion.

Him on the ball was exciting, he's got some talent.

idreamofpikas and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, in time I more than welcome Trent as a part of the midfield...

B.A. repped this.
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Turns out we may not fulfil the quarterfinals because of the fixtures congestion arising from the Club World Championship.If it was down to me, I’d sack the latter.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what the heck? heavy metal football again?

12. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Villa away in the qf

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Man City got Oxford
    Man United got Colchester
    Everton got Leceister

If we advance, the semi final draw would be super interesting. It could be both Manchester clubs and Everton. I think we could do without a high intensity two-legged semi final in the middle of our title run.

It would be hilarious if we beat Everton or United with our kids, but they will treat it like it’s the Champions League final and celebrate it like so if they won. Playing City over two legs would just be weird when both teams have their eye on the ultimate prize.

Gotta get by Villa first. That’s if the FA can find a time to play the game that satisfies Klopp.

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #114 Red Bird, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    So another tough match against a Premier League team. Hopefully Villa will prioritise the league but at any rate I think our youngsters came of age last night. 1-3 down and looking for all the world like boys against men, the tie was over and done judging by the commentaries. They will give anybody a bloody game.

From a physical point of view, I cannot see how we can play both this tie and the World Club Champions Cup. Of all the things that will likely derail our title charge, it's those matches in Qatar. Also, you won't replicate the atmosphere from last night in Doha so stuff that one.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course they did...

soccershaggy and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Exposed - Well, You would assume that would happen with Lallana , Keita and Ox ... That midfield is like a pervert on a commuter train spotting a lonely spinster...

Ah Rob Jones... loved that guy .... how old is Williams?

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would too, actually... but I don't know the ins and outs of dropping out of that competition, what could FIFA do as a result?

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I got the impression from listening to Klopp last night that we are under some kind of threat of interdict if we dropped out ...
    Not sure what FiFa can actually do though ....??

EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...fulfil-Carabao-Cup-Club-World-Cup-duties.html

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool’s first responsibility has to be to its domestic league, surely? Especially given the obvious, physical constraints.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on - this is all talk.

We aren't ditching any competition. This is the price of success. We will suck it up and I bet we will be fine.

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They will rearrange the fixture. If it comes down the EFL to be faced with a situation where Liverpool FC pick one (pointless) cup over the league cup they'll change the fixture for financial and prestige reasons. Not doing so devalues the competition and lessens the price for sponsors in the future. Especially if EFL's message to Liverpool and any future English Champion League winners is to drop out of the cup as early as possible.

The EFL do not want to be in a position were Liverpool tell the world that an international charity shield is of more value to them than the League Cup.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States