Liverpool FC v Cardiff - Carling Cup Final - Feb 26 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG] v [​IMG]

26 February 2012, KO: 16:00

[​IMG]

The seats are the right colour too.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------Pepe
    Johnson-----Skirt----Agger----Enrique
    Henderson-----Adam---SG------Downing
    ----------Suarez-----Carroll

bellamy, Kuyt, spearing,Carra, Shelvey, Maxi

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Being against Cardiff and considering his role in getting us to the final I think its only fair that Bellamy start.

I also think at least one of Kelly and Spearing should start as both played a part in getting to the final and will give a good message to the Academy that if they do well they'll be rewarded.

With Carra starting today I'm guessing he'll be on the bench next week but will almost certainly come on in the 2nd half, providing that we are not searching for a goal. Dirk as well deserves to be involved as he is long overdue a medal in a Liverpool shirt.

Hopefully Lucas will be at the game as well.

4. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed on all points, I'd like to see the players who got then here rewarded, although I am still not a big fan of Spearing.

Funny to think Cardiff have been here so much already and LFC will be on it's first visit.

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the Brighton game showed against lesser teams we don't need the pure holding in the midfield that Spearing brings.

Can see Kelly get the nod at right back for all the hard work to get us there, but I think we'll see Bellamy for Downing on the left and pretty much the same team as Brighton.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bellamy is an almost certain starter for this - he was rested yesterday.

Agger will be back as well -he was also rested

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, forgot about Agger. Sure he'll be back.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Tough side with really emotional supporters that the team respond to. (I was stuck among them at the Annie Road end, when we played the last FA Cup match)

Got to take the wind out of their sails early, then keep them on the back foot late. We don't need us trying to bunker with a one goal lead at the end.

You don't under estimate any team at Wembley.

9. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it may be only fair that Bellamy start but again I think it more likely that we start the team that played against Brighton, except dAgger for Carra. Bellamy will get time at the end when we are either looking for the killer extra goal or the goal to tie or win.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a bullshit competition but trophies are rare for us lately so can't say I wouldn't be bothered if we lost this. Hope they go out with the right mentality and give the fans something to smile about.

Agree that its most likely the same side that featured against Brighton, although I think Kuyt could be useful in this one, as he is in every "big" match.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ I'm not sure how it's any more or less BS than the FA Cup? The big teams field weaker sides until in matters, the lesser teams field their best all the way. And Liverpool have the most wins in this competition overall - so I'm guessing the club doesn't think its BS.

I, for one, would be wildly disappointed if we lost this. Further, it guarantees us a spot in Europe next year - which the team needs - even if it is the Europa League.

12. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    reina
    johnson... skrtel... agger... enrique
    henderson... gerrard... adam... bellamy
    suarez... kuyt​

doni, carra, coates, kelly, spearing, carroll, downing

bellamy has to start... former team, rested yesterday, and his performance against city got us here...

kuyt has to start... he's a big game player... also, scored the only goal in the last cup final we played...

wouldn't mind the security of spearing in there... ask a "lesser team" like bolton how easy it can be to come through the middle with just gerrard and adam there.. fingers crossed...

13. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    totally agree here... i want to win because its a trophy, but securing europa already will not only give us extra income for transfers, but it will allow us to go for broke in getting fourth... there will be no difference between 5th and 16th -- theoretically -- so, we can throw a little more caution to the wind than maybe we would normally in going for three points at the end of tight games...

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I absolutely hate this modern day attitude of qualifying for the CL is somehow superior to winning domestic cups. Just look at the current rut Arsenal are in having finished top 4 every season but not a trophy since 2005. Maybe some of their stars might have stuck around had they won something.

As for the League cup somehow being inferior 11 of the last 14 finalists have been United(3), Chelsea(3), Arsenal(2), Spurs(2) and ourselves in 2005. Not taking the competition seriously in the last 6 years has coincided our drift from the top pack.

Lineups from our last league cup final victory:

[​IMG]

United sure as shit took that game seriously with that lineup ;)

15. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Run them into the ground:

Pepe

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Spearing

Kuyt Gerrard Bellamy

Suarez Carroll​

Bench: Doni, Carragher, Kelly, Adam, Henderson, Downing, Maxi

16. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree with the points on Kuyt and Bellamy. Kuyt hasn't won a trophy with us yet, and he deserves to be on the pitch fighting for this one. No downside whatsoever to playing him.

Of the lineups I've seen posted, this is the one I like most. Even if we go 4-4-2 this one works (although Bellamy is better as a winger than a wide midfielder). My gripe with the other lineups is Henderson playing wide. I really like him, but I think he's misused out wide, at least in this team. If henderson is going to play it should be in the middle. But as I said, I agree with all of the players on the pitch in this scenario.

Just go get 'em.

17. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just watching LFC TV, they are doing a special on all the goals Liverpool have scored in cup finals. It's awesome! I had forgotten honestly, some of the great players and incredible goals that have been scored. Players like Jim Beglin, Micheal Thomas, Ronnie Whelan (I still have my Ronnie Wheelan bobble head somewhere) - he could pass and score that lad, Steve Highway, Jimmy Case. then of course there are the usual, Keegan, Souness, Kenny, Fowler, Rush, McManaman (damn I had forgotten how great it was to watch him run at the opposition), Aldo and Ian St John... the list goes on. Damn we've had some class in this team of ours.

If ever the lads need some ideas they only need watch the Top 10 (or Kop 10 as the gorgeous Claire calls them), if that can't give them a sense of the history this club has of cup finals then nothing will.

Ian Rush was a genius for sure, so great to see some of those players.

18. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    This is a game we need to win. End of Story.

I know Gerrard will definitely be lifting the League Cup this weekend. The only question is whether it will be Stephen or Anthony. ;)

Strange to think that we have won more Trophies in Cardiff than Cardiff City!

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting take on the Wrap yesterday regarding saving Bellamy for the second half considering there may be extra time to play. Think there may be something in that.

Either way, no doubt he and Kuyt will get on the field at some point.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    long long week.

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What day is it?

22. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go for a trophy.

23. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's about time.

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just managed to get a local bar to open up early at 9:30am local time for this one -- Kansas City Kopites will be gathering.

For any in the area who need details let me know ...