List of Private High Schools for Soccer?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ShawWalker, Aug 19, 2005.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think the perspective is when compared to the major clubs, which are placing pretty much all their "A" teamers on D1 squads.

FYI, IMG Academy's team acquitted itself pretty well at Dallas Cup, lost 2-3 and 0-1, and won 1-0. So it's of representative elite-club quality. I would guess that the training is somewhat better since they're going 5 days per week, but that the player pool is somewhat weaker. The marketplace for a pay-to-play soccer boarding school is necessarily limited.

2. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    John, Im not sure how IMG does it, but what most parents do not know, is some of these Boarding Schools, you would be surprised that you might pay less for a full years of top notch schooling (academic's) and soccer training & traveling than you would for a full years worth at an "Elite" club. There are scholarships. Im not trying to pitch boarding school for everyone, beleive me, its not for everyone, but folks will be surprised with the total cost involved for School and Soccer training. I really think with the addition of these so called academies, boarding schools, and with the MLS clubs thinking of starting up there own academies, the land scape of Youth Soccer will be changing in the future. Not right away, but in the future. Word is just now getting out. I know that your JR is still about a year away, but why dont you look into up north. But then again, I see your thinking of moving to the Left Coast (Trader).

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mama ain't going to let her only baby out of the house early, not even if U.S. U17 National Residency came calling. So Shattuck St. Mary's doesn't have a chance. Too bad ... I think it sounds like a pretty cool program. ;)

4. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I can TOTALLY understand!!! It was a very hard decision to make. However she loves it up there and we are very happy with the progress. No REGRETS
    They are going down to Indy this w/end and next month they are going out to Boston...Oh yea, her goal is to make Deans List.

5. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    What is taking her to Boston? Schools or soccer?

6. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Ah, her soccer team. Is there a problem??

7. forum168

forum168 New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I went to IMG for a year and a half. FYI the U-19 IMG team won Dallas Cup last year. It is difficult to do so well at tournaments for the academies because these teams do not have the same core of players year in and year out. Most people come at age 16/17 and leave for college. It makes playing difficult because the team is changing pretty drastically every semester. Also, from experience, living together with your team in dorms makes new problems that need to be dealth with that the top teams dont have to deal with. All in all, It was well worth the experience and i would definately do it again.

8. ShawWalker

ShawWalker New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    What kind of problems does living with your team cause? Any advice to a freshman going into such an environment?

9. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    No problem at all. Just wondering what is bringing her to Boston. And I still don't really know. Club team? ODP? Tournament?

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    looking at it from the college perspective...little stuff tends to get blown out of proportion.
    my roommate and i were both soccer players as freshmen, and two other players lived in our hall. stuff like my roommate leaving his mac 'n cheese sitting out for three days 'gives me the right' to crack him in practice. another kid was loafing one day at practice, so he got left behind without a ride from our training facility and that caused a fight when he got to the cafeteria.

11. forum168

forum168 New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    totally agreed. it doesn't pose any problem, but little things get blown way out of proportion. The individual development is the most important thing at these academies anyway.

12. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I guess I would call it independence, growing up, learning, problem solving, not having Mommy & Daddy there. Your right Forum, it does not cause any big stink really. Dont worry about it Shaw, he will do fine. Its a soap opera

13. ahull

ahull New Member

May 5, 2006
    mass

this is one disillusioned kid's opinion...i play for Groton School (NEPSAC Class C New England Champs) and from my experience the soccer has been very good. every game is tight, each team has at least a few kids who could play D1 or good D3.
    the most important thing to remember is that we go to school first and then we play soccer. unlike shattuck and IMG, school always comes first.

14. leftnut

leftnut New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Are you at all familiar with Shattuck? They have a fantastic reputation academically. Long before they started a soccer program, an acquaintance of mine (with a PhD in education) sent her daughter there, and raved about the academics, teachers, and overall boarding school experience.

15. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Keep to your study's son, before you make comments like this get your facts first. at Shattuck, grades come 1st. no grades, no play!!

16. ahull

ahull New Member

May 5, 2006
    mass
    ok ok im sorry jeez settle down

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was very happy with the quality of academics, friends, athletic facilities, just found the soccer lacking.
    yes, each team has a few good players who can move onto college and play there, you never see kids from these programs end up at IU, Stanford, UCLA, etc. I know a few kids from my school who ended up at d3 schools in New England and they had good careers. But I ended up playing at d1 and I would not have been nearly as prepared as I was had I not left the boarding school.

18. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Hey Wings, so your saying you had a great career at your prep school, and if it wasnt for prep, you would not of been as ready for the grueling D1 sports and schooling combined scheduling?

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think you misunderstood me, but such things happen on these boards...
    I loved being at the prep school and I would have loved to have stayed, but from a soccer perspective, I was not going to be as prepared to play in college had I stayed out East. I was better off playing with my club team back home (we won regionals a couple of times) and my high school squad. Academically, I didn't give anything up either as my school was top flight. In the end, it turned out great as I attended a great college and started from day one. had it not turned out as it did, I would have questioned my decision to leave the prep school for the rest of my life.
    But I will never knock the prep schools or anybody who comes out of them. they are a great resource in this country, one that is all too often chastized. I will also never criticize anybody who plays d2/d3/juco/naia, as it takes a lot to make the commitment to play and study. besides, the top 25 d3 teams can probably beat 1/3 of the d1 teams...

20. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Thanks Wings!! Go Shattuck

21. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    This relates to the other Prep School Thread, just wanted to bring it back to page 1...Most of these post are over a year old.

22. Reg2MidwestSoccer

Reg2MidwestSoccer New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    St. Louis
    Hi. Just found this board and wanted to check in as a HUGE fan and parents of a player at Shattuck-St. Mary's. Everything about the school has worked out great and nothing has changed since my initial impression.
    Seeing some question I would offfer that the weather in NO way affects training or playing, the facilities are nothing shrot of incredible and continuiing to get better. I do not beieve I would consider any other academy other than Shattuck no matter what was offered.
    It appears that as each day goes by more and more TOP players are considering Shattuck as a real option!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

23. keylyme

keylyme New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Hi...new to the board....my son is looking into Northfield Mount Hermon School in Northfield, MA. As with other prep schools, their soccer has been up and down, but they have placed a few D1's and lots of DIII's over the years. They won the WNEPSAC's (over Loomis Chaffee) this season and that was with two of their best players - one an All American - sidelined. They have a lot of depth for the upcoming seasons and have been recruiting aggressively. It is a difficult decision as my son currently plays for a top club program (Seacoast United) and I know this might hurt his chances of future soccer success. What to do???

24. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    What are the rules governing sports participation outside the regular soccer season at the prep schools you are considering? I am unaware that a program exists in New England like the one offered by Shattuck St. Mary for all year long soccer training. Most clubs go on a hiatus during the months that their players are competing for their schools, so that shouldn't be an issure during those months. I am assuming your question is in regards to the other months of the year and the fact that your son will be a boarding student unable to practice with his club team. You might want to ask the school coach how other players have handled similiar situations. Perhaps there might be the opportunity to play for another club in the same area as the school.

Two things to keep in mind about the high school years: 1.) 90% of players that end up playing at the college level do so because of their club participation and not their school participation. 2.) 90% of high school soccer won't be the same level of competition as you have come to expect from playing club.

25. keylyme

keylyme New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    I am well aware that high school soccer is a vastly different game from high level club soccer. It's basically boom-ball. The prep schools are a bit different, though, I think. I know that NMH had two all americans this year and D1 coaches do scout their games (though I think many of the players go D3, if anywhere). There is an indoor dome near the school and the coach has told us the team often continues to play there in the winter. I believe there is also a strong local club for Spring play. My older son had a classmate at this school who played club in the Spring and now plays for Brown (I don't know much at all about soccer, but I am assuming Brown is probably not a top D1 team, but academics were a big part of the decision).