Lippi Picks His Preliminary World Cup Squad

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy08, May 2, 2010.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

May 30, 2010. From very Cold/Raining Day @ Sestriere on Sunday.

Ist Friendly Italy 8 v Russi 0
    (2 x 30 Minutes halves)
    4-2-3-1
    Buffon
    Maggio, Bonucci, Cannavaro, Zambrotta
    Gattuso, Pirlo
    Iaquinta (Camo 30"), Marchisio, Di Natale (Iaquinta 30")
    Gila ​

Goals
    Di Natale 3
    Gila 2
    Iaquinta 2
    Zambro 1

DeRossi was held as a precaution
    Iaquinta played better on the left then right
    Zambro was a bit static despite the goal

2nd Friendly Italy 2 v Settimo 0
    (2 x 30 Minutes halves)
    4-4-2
    De Sanctis (Sirigu 30")
    Cassani, Palombo, Bocchetti, Criscito
    Camo (Quagliarella 30"), Montolivo, Cossu, Pepe
    Pazzini, Borriello (Rossi 30") ​

Goals
    Pazzini 1
    Pepe 1

Borriello Disappointed per Gazzetta

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Mondiale_2010/30-05-2010/prove-azzurre-mondiali-604182539276.shtml

2. ajstaiti

ajstaiti New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Replace Iaquinta with just about anyone else and I like it.

3. dajeromadaje

dajeromadaje New Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    actually what I saw from Inter even in the finals looked like textbook catenaccio to me....Etoo and Pandev defending, everyone behind the ball soaking up the pressure, and kill them on the counter.

We are gonna have to defend for 90 minutes or else we dont have much chance. we can score on the counter and set pieces like always. theres no other strategy that will beat squads like Brazil and Spain, defending is the only place we have the edge. I dont see any other way that this squad can succeed.

4. ajstaiti

ajstaiti New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sorry but Chielini and Cannavaro aren't going to be able to withstand an entire game's worth of attack.

5. dajeromadaje

dajeromadaje New Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well I think they can, they are world class defenders, and thats not even mentioning that we have the best keeper on the planet. Chiellini is amazing and hes proven he can defend against the best for more than 90 minutes (spain in Euros) and Cannavaro is old and has looked poor for Juve lately but everyone knows its much different for la nazionale. I also think its our best bet... so if we were to meet Brazil or Spain your plan would be to play attacking football? when has that worked for Italy? that would be playing right into their hands and we would fail miserably in my opinion.

6. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have to remember that Italy is not like Inter. Inter has very good players that Italy doesn't have.

Inter has Eto Lucio Milito Maicon Sneijder Zanetti and Cesar that's what they were able to apply the catenaccio. Sadly Italy doesn't have the ability to apply it

7. ajstaiti

ajstaiti New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Catenaccio and attacking football are two complete extremes. Just because we're not constantly defending doesn't mean we have to go all out attack. I think the key will be to find a middle ground. We need to be able to hold possession and create chances without leaving our backline exposed. I think our best bet would be to play like we did in 06. Find the goals where we can and play tough in the midfield.

8. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I disagree.

Canna, Chill without injury will be rock solid, providing that the DeRossi, Pirlo is solid in front of them.

9. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cannavaro is 36 years old and will not be rock solid for a full 90 minutes. Even if he surprises us and discovers some form he won't have the stamina. Pirlo and De Rossi do not play well together and the former has almost no defensive capabilities to speak of.

10. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wrote earlier about no matter what formation Lippi starts, the playing formation will be 13232.

3 CB and 2DM: DeRossi, Pirlo.... is rock solid. I reviewed the Cameroon game, both defense and offense are active and energetic. You can't ask for more.

In my opinion, that formation will solidify the back line.

Also, I saw many variation of 4 or 5 back line. They have great flexibility. I think that's what Lippi is looking for.

11. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a lot to pick at here, but Zambrotta over Criscito three times, including at Criscito's ACTUAL POSITION AT GENOA FOR TWO YEARS is absurd.

Also no sight of Rossi (or Cossu). I can't help but feel either of those would probably outperform Iaquinta in a wing forward role. Just maybe.

12. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lippi shows a lot of 4231,343,442. I think he's setting up people for a confusion.

I think he will start one of those formation, but will end up playing 3232.

Buffon
    Bonu,Canna,Chil
    DeRo,Pirlo
    Camo,Dina,Marchi
    Gilar,Rossi

Turn to 4231 Note: Marchisio can take Rossi's or DiNa's spot.
    Bonu,Canna,Chil,Marchi
    DeRo,Pirlo
    Camo,Rossi,DiNa
    Gilar

Turn to 343 Note: Marchi can take DiNa's spot
    Bonu,Canna,Chil
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo,Marchi
    Gilar,Rossi,DiNa

Turn to 442 Note:Marchi can take DiNa's spot
    Bonu,Canna,Chil,Marchi
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo,DiNa
    Gilar,Rossi

Turn to 3421
    Bonu,Canna,Chil Note: Marchi can take DiNa's spot
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo,Marchi
    Rossi,DiNa
    Gilar

Turn to 3412 Note:Marchi can take Rossi's spot
    Bonu,Canna,Chil
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo,Marchi
    Rossi,
    Gilar, DiNa

Turn to 4321 Note:Marchi can take Pirlo's or DiNa's spot
    Bonu,Canna,Chil,Marchi
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo
    Rossi,DiNa
    Gilar

Turn to 4312 Note: Marchi can take Pirlo's or Rossi's spot
    Bonu,Canna,Chil,Marchi
    Camo,DeRo,Pirlo
    Rossi,
    Gilar,DiNa

All the rest of the guys will have to play back up...

Marchisio is the key as he is so flexible and able to play anywhere on the left side.

The new Grosso's style gambit of WC2010 is Marchisio.

I'm so happy to see Lippi is looking into weaponize Marchisio.

13. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marchisio is super versatile, yeah, but he's never shown anything to indicate that he can play leftback.

14. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can he even play trequartista?

15. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, that isn't really a 'trequartista' role, it's an 'attacking midfield' role, but in a Simone Perrotta style. I can see Marchisio succeeding there, he runs a lot without the ball and has some solid technique (more than Perrotta). Only difference is Perrotta had Totti, this team has...no one (I know Pirlo, but Totti was/is more proficient in the final third).

16. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doesn't look good for Rossi :confused:
    http://www.football-italia.net/may30l.html
    “I really like Marchisio as a trequartista, as of all the midfielders he is the one with the most movement off the ball. He slots in, follows the action and finds space. He also helps to cover the midfield.

“We will also test out Giorgio Chiellini as a full-back. It’s important that everyone chips in to help their teammates, a bit like Inter and my old Juventus.”

Antonio Di Natale shone with a hat-trick, while Alberto Gilardino and Vincenzo Iaquinta got two each. Gianluca Zambrotta completed the 8-0 overall rout.

Marchisio was again fielded as a trequartista in the 4-2-3-1 behind the striker, flanked by Iaquinta and Mauro Camoranesi (who then made way for Di Natale).

Once again the defence consisted of Cristian Maggio, Fabio Cannavaro, Leonardo Bonucci and Zambrotta.

Lippi still has to cut down his list for the final 23 going to South Africa.

17. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually if this article holds true Rossi might be in good shape to go to SA...
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/i...italy-hitman-marco-borriello-favorite-to-face

As Italy coach Marcello Lippi prepares to whittle down his 28 man squad to 23 by Tuesday, it appears that Marco Borriello could be last on the list of personnel who are set to be axed from the first choice squad.

According to reports on Eurosport, the World Cup winning coach is also likely to include Salvatore Sirigu, Salvatore Bocchetti, Andrea Cossu and Fabio Quagliarella in the final exclusion list.

Given the positive condition of Giuseppe Rossi and Giampaolo Pazzini during the recent week, it is believed that Quagliarella and Borriello have now dropped down the pecking order ahead of the final squad announcement.

18. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Maggio starts because Chil is out. When Chil is healthy, I believe Bonu take the RB. Bonu has shown he can play that position.

19. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ah, have you been watching this team lately? There is nothing "rock solid" about Pirlo and De Rossi being on the field at the same time. Throw Camo in the mix and I got a feeling that, once again, our forwards won't be getting any service.

20. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi and Pirlo never played well togather. And now they're suddenly going to discover the magic? :confused:

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who did they beat 8-0?

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd keep Cossu and Sirigu and drop Cassani and De Sanctis.

23. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some local team

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  25. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I said that because when I rewatch the Cameroon game, they did well.

the 3232 formation is symmetrical; thus, may be that is the reason why they jell.

4321, where DeRo on the right, and pirlo in the middle looks awkward for them.

That's my reason. We'll see in the future, but I believe we found a formation where they are happy.