Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo; better UEFA Champions league career?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sexy Beast, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The farce of Ronaldo assists can been seen here. So many are simple passes where the player takes a shot from out of the box, does a lot of work after the pass, or even accidental assists. His strength was clearly crosses.

afar repped this.
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #202 carlito86, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Where is the farce?
    You are almost insinuating that he did not make those assists like they are fake (like some Barcelona fans use to and still call his penalties “fake goals”)
    Are they assists or are they not?

Being an effective world class crosser isn’t such a bad thing or is it(I don’t know)
    Nobody claimed he was a better or equal passer to Messi
    He does have more CL assists though
    This is FACT
    you can’t change that only Messi can

It’s already been covered that his best ever passes weren’t converted into assists.
    If you require more examples than have already been shown then just ask but there is no need for a panic attack about something you can’t change(ie CR having more CL assists)

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Because of context.

Just like when people say Messi is actually not far from Ronaldo at goal scoring department in CL ... but in KO rounds Ronaldo's scoring has been much greater.

4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are conflating quality with context
    Ronaldo has more assists in KO rounds
    More assists in GS rounds
    in which “context” is Messi superior at assisting in the CL
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/the18.com/soccer-news/messi-vs-ronaldo-champions-league-stats?amp

If they were equal than yeah an argument could be made that by virtue of his assists being more technically difficult Messi is a superior assister
    But they are not equal

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Which is an entirely different point to the one you made in the original post I quoted where you referenced a tweet illustrating Ronaldo's volume of goals (at home, away, etc).

If your point is simply that Ronaldo has scored a lot of important goals then yes.

But that is a very different point. Moreover it doesn't reflect the fact that Messi is capable of delivering exceptional performances against high calibre opponents in the CL where he doesn't need to score (Man City in 2015 as an example). His quality is self evident. Ronaldo doesn't do that.

ko242 repped this.
  6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But surely, that goes both ways. After all, why couldn't Ronaldo win the UCL for Madrid before 2014?

Did Ronaldo win the 3 UCLs because Ronaldo of 2016-2018 was better than Ronaldo of 2009-2013?

Or maybe, Ronaldo actually won the UCLs for Madrid, regardless of whether he was better than his early 2010s self (I personally think he was better in the early Madrid years) because his team got better. The likes of Carvajal, Casemiro, Modric, and Bale all made the team better. Ramos improved to become one of the clutchest players in UCL history. Marcelo became one of the best LB in the world, and was at time the best player in the team (how many wingbacks can say that?). Someone like Kroos, who was signed after the UCL victory in 2014, has also been key.

I don't see how Ronaldo and Messi are different in that case. They've both had maybe 1 UCL campaign where you could argue they were THE reason their team won (2015 for Messi and 2017 for Ronaldo). The rest of their titles were won when their team (the midfield in particular) was the best performing in the tournament, not just because they themselves were the best in the world.

7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Neymar and Suarez may have something to say about that.. They both scored crucial goals in the knockout rounds and final.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #208 carlito86, Mar 13, 2019
    I hate to have to repeat this:

CR won a champions league for Manchester United during which time none of his midfield teammates were even nominated for PFA team of the season let alone uefa team of the year (or fifpro)
    1A046332-EF8B-458C-ADD9-5B5680EEF998.png

He was in this tournament
    Top scorer
    Voted uefa CL best player
    UEFA CL best forward

He was the difference maker in the R16,QF and best outfield player in the final (won the fans MOTM and lost official MOTM to Van der sar for his pen shootout heroics)

9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, I know this, which is why I said for Madrid. Keep in mind that Ronaldo also lost to Messi in the following year. Does that prove that Messi > Ronaldo? No, it just proves that Barcelona > Man Utd in 2009.

10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of course, nobody is 100% responsible for a game of 22 players, obviously. Messi in 2015 was as close to hard-carrying as anyone will get in football.

11. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He's done more carrying in the years after that except on CL. I would say 2015 was a combined effort of the MSN with Ney and Suarez at their peak.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You’ve completely sidetracked the point
    What has Manchester United losing to Barcelona a year later in 2009 have to do with them winning the CL in 2008

Ronaldo has won the champions league without the help of a dominant midfield.
    Manchester United were outclassed by a dominant midfield in 2009 not 2008 so it would be helpful if you don’t confuse the 2

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The point isn't about dominant midfield, it's about Ronaldo and Messi winning the UCL when they have the best performing team in the tournament.

Ronaldo had an amazing defense to work with in 2008. They conceded the least amount of goals in their group. In the knockout stage, they conceded just TWO goals. Is that Ronaldo's doing as well?

If Man Utd's defense was just slightly worse, and they conceded a 2nd goal to Chelsea (or Terry didn't slip! so satisfying :D), Ronaldo wouldn't have won the UCL and it wouldn't have been his fault and he wouldn't have actually played any worse.

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

With help by an easy penalty (Suarez) to get the train rolling. Suarez also great and involved in the first two goals.

carlito86 repped this.
  16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After all it’s a team sport and when it is said someone is the protagonist it doesn’t mean he is the sole reason his team won rather it means he is the most important player in that championship winning team

Rio Ferdinand was pretty darn good and by most accounts Manchester United’s 2nd best player in 2007/08
    Nobody does everything or singlehandedly achieves something
    Even when we talk about maradona he is the the closest a player has come to singlehandedly winning a major trophy(closer than any of Messi or ronaldo s CLs)

Still though he had a helping hand from the visually impaired referee in the QF and his teammates in the final

About John Terry..Manchester United fans are still singing this on the terraces

LMFAO
    I think it’s even sold on iTunes

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

A Top 3 goal in the career of Cristiano Ronaldo underlying in the air he is the GOAT
    Gary Neville And scholes I believe also highlighted this as being his most iconic moment in a Manchester United jersey

This is art
    No CB I don’t care if his name is baresi or johnny nobody can defend against this

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What does superior at assisting in the CL mean other than just the stats ?

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi has more group stage goals. Puskas, Di Stefano have more finals goals. Unless you don't consider the EC and the CL the same.

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    “Just stats” sums up your attitude completely

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MR context do you think goals scored against a regional team from western Germany in a EC final is equivalent to goals scored against teams as Bayern Munich/juventus/Atlético in the KO stages

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Again, what are you trying to say ? Other than the stats.

Stats without context, specially when doing deeper analysis can be misleading depending on the point your trying to make.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He was posting a list of RECORDS held by Ronaldo. I pointed out a couple of things that are wrong. I am not trying to say who's greater based on that data. That's the difference.

24. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #224 JoCryuff98, Mar 13, 2019
    I’m pretty confident Messi will have a fantastic UCL this season. Something seems different about him and it looks like he got his hunger back. WC failure always motivates the shit outta him. Anyways coming to the topic, none of Ronaldo’s top 3 CL performances will top peak Messi’s performance against Utd, Real Madrid and Bayern. He’s the greatest CL goal scorer, but not the best player overall IMO. Carlito will post some shit to impose his opinion on me which will never convince me. Pretty sure he’ll also call me a “Messi fanboy”, but I have given credit to Ronaldo where it’s due. In fact I was impressed with his clutch performance against ATM.

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #225 carlito86, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    What did Messi do vs Bayern 14/15 that ronaldo hasn’t done against

Roma 2006/07
    2 goals+1 assist+3 pre assists in 2 games
    (Involved in 6 out of 8 team goals)

Sporting Lisbon 2007 (away)