Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo; better UEFA Champions league career?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sexy Beast, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Can't agree more. :ROFLMAO:

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty exaggerated statement.

3. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #53 Sexy Beast, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    I might jinx myself, but Cristianos ucl career looks quite different since leaving Real.. a shocker! :eek: Although i would definitely give him 7/10 for this performance leaning towards 8/10.

The same with Messi's performance (his performance overall was slightly better but cant give him 8/10 with that finishing)..

So both 7/10 from me in their first ucl KO games of 2019.

Wouldnt be mad if bith got 8/10, i am sort of rethinking that decision

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who would have thought that having really good service helps you score goals at this point in his career :whistling:

5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can always trust celito to be the resident troll

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :thumbsup:

Hey ... it's the truth. I've been saying that specifically for the last couple of years with all those goals.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you look enough, you will find that I overrated Rossi's 82 fabled peformance because he was basically Johnny on the spot even though he scored vs the biggest teams. So my train of thought is consistent. Although I put Ronaldo's goals in the CL campaign two years ago higher than Rossi's performance.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #58 carlito86, Feb 20, 2019
    This is a total disaster of a post
    Rossi cannot be mentioned in the same paragraph as CR(forget about sentence)
    Any version of CR stretching as far back as 2007 is heaps and bounds ahead of Rossi.
    Heaps and bounds

Just to be clear:
    Rossi did destroy Brazil.(this is a fact whether you accept it or not)
    “Johnny on the spot” did what was required of him and owned that tie.
    the combined efforts of “creative” players zico,Eder,falcao,Socrates Etc were no match for a tapin maestro on that day

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You keep saying Ronaldo destroyed big teams scored vs Bayern, Juve, Atletico ...

Let us take a look at Ronaldo's 9 goals vs Bayern ...

1 - PK.
    2 - Hey look at me, wide open inside the box !!! Thanks for the pass, only the goalie to beat.
    3 - Point blank on the counter...game decided already.
    4 - Tricky FK .. again at the end though.
    5 - Top notch movement and finish. Also good service.
    6 - Hey look at me open in the middle of the box again ! Somehow the defender is giving me the inside space ! Nifty technique, right at the goalie though. A bit lucky.
    7 - Point blank header. Good service again.
    8 - Look at me open again inside the box !!! I am offsides AND I trap the ball down with my arm. But hey nobody cares !!! That service again.
    9 - Even have to talk about this one ?

You can say he scored against big bad Bayern ... but God damn, he is open ALMOST ALL THE FUKIN TIME !!! Only once I see his movement being "untrackable" in his goals. So yeah, he got some good damn service.

Danko repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #60 carlito86, Feb 20, 2019
    Ronaldo scored 9 goals against Bayern Munich( 4 of them coming in CL SFs)
    That is an involvement of 1 GPG
    Any manager in any era would take that guarantee of a goal per match against a team like Bayern
    In front of goal ronaldo (on his game) is a ice cold killer no two ways about it

if you haven’t watched the match vs atletico I’d advise you do
    Your latest outburst about ronaldo requiring service to be relevant is completely unfounded
    Most of the chances he was afforded weren’t typical striker chances
    The 30 yard FK attempt ,the dribble past a defender into the box (with that speed at his age)

He was unlucky today that is it
    Football is like that and not even one of the games greatest ever scorers can score in every single game he plays(even with such “outstanding service”)

Btw what happened to the in depth analysis of his goals against juventus And atletico Madrid?
    You will not do it because ronaldo has scored some of the greatest goals in his whole career against both of these teams
    Goals that require little to no service

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, technically he did help score a goal today ... was just on his own net.

Difference today he wasn't roaming in the box for much of the game. And having another striker opening up space for him. It has been my point for the last 2 years. Earlier in his career I agree he was a different beast.

You really want me to ? Just vs Juve 3 PKs. The nice one was the obvious bicycle kick and IMO a well assisted but nice finish also last season. Tougher than the CL finals one IMO. 3 others are tap in and 1v1 with goalie again with nice assists.

Atletico I don't know what CL goals you're talking about. I think he has 4 ? The useless PK in the final, and the hat trick ... which again, great scoring chances.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #62 carlito86, Feb 20, 2019
    This is a really lazy analysis celito.
    I notice in loads of your tirades your use of words like useless,pointless,irrelevant etc

Is there a goal scored in the history of football that can be defined as useless
    Every single goal scored against your opponent places your team one step closer to the ultimate objective (winning)
    The 4-0 or 5-0 goal is less important than the 2-1 or 1-0 goal but there is an important distinction to be drawn between a goal holding less importance and having no use at all whatsoever

It is important as a fan of the game that you remain grounded in reality and have some perspective when we discuss
    A child can be excused for calling goals useless not a grown ass man

Talking about perspective
    The dismissive tone with which you totally discredited his penalties is absurd
    These were tie winning moments not flipping 6-0 penalties against leganes or Eibar
    I’ve seen many elite players choke taking pens like the one last year in the QF vs juventus

I love the watered down description of his 1 vs 1(the implication being they were easy)
    One of them included him rounding Buffon and finishing from a tight angle(2013) beautiful when R9 does it.....
    Another included him intercepting a poor ball and receiving the return pass and deftly finishing(cold finish)
    Some close range finishes aswell in his collection
    A varied collection of goals and important to note ronaldo was the goalscorer of at least 95% of goals his team scored vs juventus
    So it’s expected he will soak up the acclaim

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just gonna address the first part ... yes, the PK in the final was meaningless. The 2 goals vs Bayern SF that year were meaningless. It's not his fault Ramos decided the match early. But it is what it is. Scoring vs a team that has thrown all their players forward is just not as hard. Specially when your team is built for it. You can't put a lipstick on this pig. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo's instincts in the box are really great. I think he should have done that way earlier in his Madrid career. Although it still turned out great form him in the end .. at least in the CL.

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whatever mate it’s just hopeless

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ronaldo not as prolific when getting 2 or 3 half chances in a CL knockout tie instead of 5 clear chances riding the Modric-Kroos train.

Remember, Ronaldo is not arrogant. That's just the fake news, pro-Messi media.
    cristiano-ronaldo-juventus-2018-19_f0rqold8b9wo1nrvf5nb98pvb.jpg

aidin and ko242 repped this.
  16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #66 carlito86, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Dude you should just follow ballerina if this offends you
    You claim to be Argentine. I never knew Diego Armando maradona to be a choir boy on or off the field.

Also
    it’s a fuc*ing warzone in football matches between boca and river plate(with actual violence and people being seriously hurt)
    I’d be more concerned about that if I were you than silly meaningless hand gestures that don’t hurt anybody except the feelings of some Barcelona cheerleaders

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Your analogies fail to hit the target because nobody claims Maradona to be the choir boy or that Boca River derbies are like a Sunday picnic.

But Ronaldo fans do regularly claim that Messi is in reality the more arrogant one and CR7 is just misrepresented by jealous people who are insecure because of CR7’s good looks. It can’t just be because he actually is incredibly arrogant.

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who claims Messi is arrogant?
    I’ve never hear that claim made before

Atleti fans give as good as they get.
    If you heard some of the abuse he recieves from ultras at different stadiums than this “offensive” hand gesture would really pale in comparison

The context is always important unless of course you were just looking for reps from your long-standing clique of haters

19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Come on guys you cant compare playing at THIS Juventus to Real Madrid of the last 4 years. Disastrous midfield, aging defense which is consistently out of form, and a coach who has lost the plot. Without Ronaldo this would probably be the weakest Juve side of the last 5 years and would not be top of Serie A.

ko242 repped this.
  20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This much is true. I think winning the UCL with this Juventus team must be considered a bigger achievement than any of the UCL he won with Madrid.

It is interesting that neither Messi nor Ronaldo have arguably ever won the UCL without having one of the best midfields in the world supporting them.

While the focus has been on forwards, UCL winners might actually be more closely linked to midfield performances than forwards.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  21. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This is not unlucky, these are normal circumstances!! Scoring tap ins, having a great service, offside goals, advancing stages without being relevant, winning finals being the worst on the pitch, IS lucky. Messi has countless of ucl KO performances like this one with his team losing, that's normal day for Messi.

It's likely that much wont change in the second leg and it's about time his luck runs out. He has been enjoying it too much ever since Wolfsburg 2016.

Wow, is really that quick? Up to the game i've been hearing it's the greatest Juve ever

How are they worse when they only added players to their already champion squad? Chiellini is like the only player who can have an age excuse. Mandzukic, allegedly, is in the best form ever and Juve is cruising the league unlike ever (2012 apart). The best attack and the best defense of the league. Giving that dominance in the league just to Ronaldo is laughable cuze, apart from 2012, he had never had a complete league performance in Real Madrid. Now, all of a sudden, age 34, he cares about leagues?

Just for a record, i was heavily sarcastic.

Obviously it's not the same playing for Modrić, Kroos, Marcelo, Carvajal hence this thread! I didnt have to wait Ronaldo to leave a great service and luck at Real, to conclude he would struggle in different (normal) circumstances,.. Unlike the rest of the world, they had to see it with their own eyes and now you are getting glimpses of it.

This is why Messi vs Ronaldo debate in champions league is so intriguing to me despite Ronaldo outscoring him in quarter finals, semis and finals. It's not clear who is having a better ucl career.

Prediction: Ronaldo fans, if Ronaldo gets eliminated by Atleti, will go for "he is 34" excuses to justify his prior "dominance" in ucl

22. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Midfielders are the most important and influential players in football. Ive always said that

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There is nothing unlucky about not scoring from 30 yard FK. Most his FKs from that distance are basically knuckle balls where he doesn't try to choose direction. That was not a hard save for the GK even if it was a cannon of a shot. Other than that, I don't see where you think he was unlucky. Atletico should have won like 4 x 0 ... I'd say he was lucky as he still has a chance.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You could say that for Messi's first 2 CLs. In his third, it was really more up to MSN than the midfield. The mid wasn't as dominating/influential on that one.

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #75 carlito86, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    This is a poorly researched attempt at discrediting CRs achievements
    Maybe you started following “soccer”in the last few years so I won’t be too harsh
    You claim CR needs a dominant midfield to win the champions league
    What dominant midfield did he have in 2007/08 when he propelled Manchester United to within 1 game of winning a treble
    Paul scholes was injured for the vast majority of this season
    Non of Manchester United’s midfield were nominated for PFA team of the season only ronaldo/vidic/Ferdinand

The luck against Wolfsburg(do you even know what luck means )
    Where is the luck is being beaten by Wolfsburg and scoring a hattrick In then return leg to bring you team back into the game(and win)
    Find a better use of the word because that can’t even be loosely defined as luck

Ronaldo is in his first season at a new club
    It is true juventus are and have been dominant at a domestic level
    This doesn’t mean that you can’t make a dominant team even better.
    Jupp heycknes won everything with Bayern ,on paper that’s as good as it gets
    Pep Guardiola came and arguably improved their domestic results in the Bundesliga and they were an unstoppable German machine with a tika taka identity and were steamrolling teams

A great player or great football mind can add to a successful team or project.
    It’s funny how Barcelona cheerleaders always lose their rag and become irrational
    Surely a 34 year old who has scored around 20 league goals so
    Far,broken a few all time records(most consecutive away matches scored in a single Serie a season)
    Also Check the amount of points he has won for juventus bringing them over the line when they have not looked nowhere near as dominant as you probably believe.
    Surely this player deserves some credit
    One game where results did not go his way and that’s it he’s an overrated fraud

KO matches are played over 2 legs aswell so just take a chill pill and we can evaluate his performance over both legs