Linux discussion here

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 18, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eat shit.

Timon19 and sitruc repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Linus is the best, except for Pigpen.

American Brummie repped this.
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Microsoft is buying American so Linux posse rulez

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't even want to know what thread caused this.

russ repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, what higher level of convenience does Linux offer? I've heard of it, but only within earshot of a bunch of engineer/geek types. What's so special about it?

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the preferred OS of Libertarians and Incels

russ, sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incel=involuntary celibate

Boloni86 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of start-up costs mitigated by streamlining most of what your PC does. You don't have fifty programs running in the background, for example. Nor do you have to wait on patches to fix bugs. And it's a community that creates free versions of most software you'll ever need.

luftmensch and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This... is very much a "you get what you pay for" situation.

sitruc repped this.
  12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've seen free versions of CAD / BIM / Graphic platforms.

They suck more than a hooker on a Hoover in a black hole

sitruc repped this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps in your line of work, but the programs I use are stats programs like R or python-based web scrapers. I don't need a lot.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently converting a bunch of old VHS tapes of Dallas Burn games to MP4 format. To edit the raw video and cut out ads and stuff, I'm using kdenlive. It's adequate but when I close it, it core dumps every single time. Also, it holds on to the audio device even when it's not actually playing any audio, so if I try to play audio in another app, it'll generally be delayed several seconds.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'd agree 100% that you want to pay for software that has skilled people working their day jobs to make those problems not problems.

But to run multinomial logit? Why pay $100 more and leave my computer open to exploding like anything Windows Vista ever ran?

16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    First lady Melania Trump is now 25 percent more likely to dump her husband, the president, before the end of the year, thanks to this week's body double rumors, an Irish bookmaker said Wednesday.
    Paddy Power had offered bettors 16-1 odds that the Trumps would move from Washington to Splitsville — but dropped those odds to 12-1 after online conspiracists floated the notion that the first lady is sending a stand-in to pose next to her husband.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/melania-leaving-president-trump-body-183649867.html

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Let's see Windows do that.

Suyuntuy and American Brummie repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen some really amazing stuff done with Python. There are youtube videos of people setting up a GTA profile and running Python to learn the environment, and then auto play.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to remind you that Yahoo was compromised.

Just sayin'. ;)

20. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ask your IT guys to run this command

" rm -rf / "

makes the computer run faster ;)

edit: please don't, I'm j/king

soccernutter and American Brummie repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'll have to look up what Jupiter Broadcasting (podcast) are using, but just this year, they converted to full Linux, and they do tons of video editing. That said, the reason it took them to this year is that video editing is a big (acknowledged) hole.

But they have done it. They totally de-Macified and haven't really suffered since.

I thought kdenlive was improving quickly.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that there are some closed-source video editing programs that run under Linux, but since I'm cheap and don't want to spend big bucks on video editing software for my crappy old VHS tapes unless I have to, I'm going with the open-source solution here.

And it's fine. But I do accept as a tradeoff the "you get what you pay for" maxim.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm almost positive JB went open source entirely. I'd have to go back and relisten/read show notes to know for sure.

Interestingly, they run their podcast soundboard (another weakspot) off an entirely community-created, purpose-built soundboard distro (OBS, I think) that they have embraced completely. They say it's better (for their uses, which are extensive) than any prior proprietary solution, plus they get immediate response on feature requests and bugs.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've installed kdenlive and fiddled around with it. It seemed OK then, (this was a few years back).

I did a quick google search and found this which seems to indicate there was a problem which has been fixed at a basic level which, presumably, will appear in an upgrade to the kdenlive software at some point.

But,can I just mention your post almost seems to imply that every windows program works without a hitch and that is definitely not the case.

The basic operating system itself has several problems and, with windows, that's ALWAYS been the case. It's better than it used to be but it still has problems that shut programs down and cause other problems. That's apart from all the possible security holes it has.

There's a reason why windows users have to keep installing bug fixes and it's not because it runs perfectly all the time, is it.

But I think the real issue is that, for the things that most people do, (word processing, spreadsheets, web, email, watching video files, playing music, etc. etc.), linux does what they need and just... well... works.

So for probably 80-90% of home users they should be using it... AND, for those few that need a specific windows program, they can run windows under a virtual machine in linux. I've used both virtualbox and vmware and they both worked fine.

So, in short, why wouldn't you run it instead of an o/s that gets bugs and viruses AND costs you money?

Suyuntuy and Timon19 repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Not only this, but until Win10 (which is just better relative to other previous versions of Windows in this aspect) you wouldn't be ABLE to use repurposed or old hardware past a certain amount of time. Grandma and Grandpa don't NEED a six-core monster to keep in touch with the grandkids, but Windows before 10 makes sure that they think they do.

Non-profits and the like can't do tech refreshes every 3 years.

Meanwhile, I can run 15-year-old hardware to the point where you can use webmail and a word processor and look at kitty pics. Hell, I have a 8-10 year old off lease Dell laptop that must have been an early 64 bit machine. 2 cores. I use it to maintain the other machines in the house, use email, edit documents, whatever, and it's running Mint MATE 18.2, which is only, what, 6 months old?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.