Lining Raiola's Pockets - The 2017 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I actually did say something. Right before you took a short sabbatical from BS.

More than once even.
    I dont even know anymore. [emoji45]

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    you want me to leave again, is that it? would that make you happy??

you know dude, you've lost that loving feeling! :(

:p

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it was suggested recently, United's pursuit of Perisic is still on. With reports going around suggesting that Woodward may have met recently with his agent. Not sure what good that'd do really, since Inter are the one who need to be convinced at this stage really.

For my part though, while he may not be a classic touchline winger, like Perisic, Draxler is right there, ready to be scooped up: he's tall, young yet experienced, is a source of both goals and assists and can play on either side. What's not to like?

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What advantages does being tall add to his game?

But to answer your question about whats not to like. Having another fake 10, playing on the wing. Another player who's preferred AO is where Pogba, Mhiki, Mata and Lingard like to play.

He's scored less than 30 goals and 30 assist in his last 210 appearances for club and country. He has only scored more than 10 goals once.

Even if he's cheap, he is still a questionable target.

cr7torossi repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6080 Ashur, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    The point about being tall was clearly a jab towards Jose and his fetish for height, nothing more...

As far as Draxler is concerned, I'm really not overly concerned at this stage in getting a prototypical winger, who hugs the touchline and bangs crosses in.
    What I'm looking from wide players personally is someone with athleticism and some pace, who can pitch in some goals and provide a creative spark from that wide position.
    Those are my expectations and it seems that Draxler fits the profile. Whether it's with PSG last season or with Germany, he's always played wide, be it right or left and based on what I saw, I would love him at United, as an another complimentary piece to the team we currently have in place.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Draxler would be our slowest winger other than Mata. He's a good dribbler but definitely not fast.

SyedZada repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not be a super pacy guy but he does move pretty quickly with the ball at his feet. And from an athleticism point of view as well, he's a clear upgrade over Mata.

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    The winger situation I am not understanding Jose. We need a right winger, he is targeting Perisic who is a left winger and we have already two left wingers there.

Drae and Red Jeph repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, that's always been my question too. How does he fit?

10. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He wants a "wide" winger and that has now changed to width from the fullback position.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6086 Ashur, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    That's where I'm confused as well. I really don't have any problems with having Mata on the team until Jose continues sticking him out on the right. Miki is a possible option and if he were to regain his Dortmund form, then it could make sense. He's still looked more comfortable for us in a central role role though.
    The one justification to go for a left sided guy would be if he stopped considering Martial for that role (and sees him strictly as a CF/SS), in which case I can see it, but the question still remains, why not giving him a real opportunity there?
    Interesting thinking, that much is certain.

12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He has played the right winger role, but that would be a detriment to Valencia and if he played left wing that would be a detriment to Martial/Rashford for playing time.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Perisic gambit should serve as a reminder that we have to have a large squad to get through what will probably be 55-60 matches this season. No single outfield player is going to play 50 games and maybe not even 45 games. Well, possibly Bailly and Pogba.

There will be injuries. There will be suspensions. There will be players who drop form for whatever reason. There will be days off for rest.

Whether it's Perisic or someone else, we could use another weapon up front -- in addition to Ibra, whom I've always believed will come back for the second half of the season but we'll see about that.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    SIGN. FELIPE. ********ING. ANDERSON.

jeff070 repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    ******** Felipe Anderson.

cr7torossi repped this.
  16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His comments on the matter have been pretty clear for some time now, tbf. He clearly would like one signing (especially some type of flank forward), but at the same token, he's no going to whine about it either and still feels he's got what he needs to get going this season, with the team as is.
    Believe that Woodward may still be working on something if there is a deal to be made until the official end of the window, but we could be done for this summer.

18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Not an extension, we are exercising the +1

Makes sense even if we were to sell him.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Tommy Lemar play for Monaco, he really could possibly be a capable winger, but the way Jardim has him deployed and play in his system, there's no way of knowing for sure.
    He's lined up virtually as an attacking midfielder again today, playing very much centrally. He looks more an 8/10 hybrid, more than a flank player.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just played the embargoed section of the press conference and Mou said something that may clear up the confusion about wanting a wide player but on our left rather than our right. Seem he is looking for a left wing-back so we can play a back three. Guess he only sees Shaw as capable of this on the left and not Blind / Darmian.

Jose said (in relation to Martial question) "Probably the player I was looking for was not a pure winger, because I have pure wingers. Probably the player I was looking for is a player that allows me to play with three in the back and do the wing-back".

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

cr7torossi repped this.
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Next summer I'd be all for shipping out Mata and bringing in Pulisic. Love how direct he is and from a marketing perspective it's a home run.

24. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    With the added incentive that Liverpool want him.