Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Speculation

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not?

After all, he's asking you to spend a lot of your hard-earned money to buy his teams' season tickets, parking passes, concessions, merchandise, etc.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

Quakes05 repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, meant to write "could have" rather than "would have." You're right, it's not certain. BUT, when you start making sincere efforts to sign big time players, even if you aren't successful, you should at least learn where the bar is, and what sort of offer is necessary to sign such a guy.

Thanks for catching that goof, and hopefully, we'll sign some good guys this pre-season.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still asking him to lose money on the team on an opperating level. Sure, the team's value will escalate, and if he sells he'll make a bundle, but while he's running the club, we expect him to lose money on it.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

QuakeAttack and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd better have some kind of focus, because we haven't had a focus in years. We need to rebuilding our organization, our strategies and tactics, and our mentality. How we think about the game and the league is completely antiquated. We need a modernizing revolution within the organization. We need an Almeyda Restoration type of overhaul.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda has used many formations over the years, so, it will be interesting what he trots out with he Quakes on opening night. Lopez was used more as a winger than a left back this past season, and with Lima's ability to go forward as well, perhaps Matias will try something like a 5-2-3, with Lopez and Lima playing as wingbacks.

--------Vako---------Hoesen------Espinoza-------

---------------Godoy-----------Judson----------------

Lopez------Flo-----Guram-----Cummings----Lima

Or maybe we see a 4-2-3-1. Imo, Vako played better and was more involved when playing centrally. He too often became disconnected and lazy when out wide. I have Flo and Guram as the centerbacks,but, Cummings is obviously a strong possibility as well.

-----------------------Hoesen---------------------------

Thompson--------Vako--------------Espinosa

-------------Godoy---------Judson--------------

Lopez--------Flo-------Guram-------Lima

Or...a 4-4-1-1, with Vako under Hoesen.

-------------------------------Hoesen-----------------------
    ---------------------Vako-------------------------------------

TT-----------Godoy---------Judson---------Espinoza

Lopez----------Flo----------Guram--------------Lima

4-4-2. Wondo gets the nod alongside Hoesen perhaps.

---------------------Wondo-----------------Hoesen-------------------

TT/Vako -----Godoy----------Judson--------------Espinoza

Lopez--------------Flo----------Guram--------------Lima

4-3-3. I have Tommy or Flo at the right mid, depending on whether we want more attacking or more defense.

Vako-------------Hoesen------------Espinoza

Godoy------------Judson------------Tommy/Flo

Lopez-------Cummings------Guram------Lima

markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I know it's very unlikely to happen, but if I had the chance to be in charge I would draft Montgomery in the first round and play with 3 center backs. Being left footed would help him hold down the left channel and that would allow the team to play Lima and Lopez as endline to endline wingers. It would also allow the Quakes to play with between 3 and 4 central midfielders (depending if they wanted to play with one or two strikers). The Quakes are SO DEEP in central mids now with guys like Godoy, Judson, Yuiell, Thompson, Luis Filipe, Calvillo and even Vako as an attacking mid (heck, even Fuentes is a central mid). I realize that formation doesn't really have a spot for Espinosa, but it would get more players in natural positions and allow the Quakes to dominate the center of the field and maybe even control more possession of the ball. Lima could be backed up by Paul Marie (or maybe Espinosa) and Lopez spelled by Partida or Salinas. Perhaps Hoesen up top with a diamond central midfield of Vako up top, twin 8s (any of Thompson, Godoy, Yuiell, Luis Filipe or Calvillo) and Judson at the back of the diamond to shield the defense. Cummings or Kashia in the middle of the defense and either Cummings or Flo on the right.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so at least some of us think that given who Almeyda has signed so far, it looks like we are going to play a 3-5-2? or maybe a 5-3-2? Something like that with Lopez and Lima playing as wing-backs? A pair of d-mids? Is this what we think? Or will we see a 4-4-2 instead?

I'm looking for a sanity check, because I want to see us play a 3-5-2, but I'm not sure where Espinosa fits in in that? Maybe we play a 4-3-3?

I'm guessing wildly here.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If we assume that not all the new acquisitions have been made for the team, I would not be comfortable guessing yet what the team might look like in terms of shape. We won't really have an idea unless we get to see a practice or until preseason, most likely.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that sobering thought. :thumbsup:

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's what I'm here for. I do get the sense that Almeyda is more practical in the way that they advertised that Stahre was practical, that is, using the players available and adjusting based on that.

Of course Stahre turned out to be pretty steadfast in both his formation and the players he chose despite the mounting evidence that he had no idea what he was doing. And I give him some credit in that I do like it more when a coach has a distinguishable style and sticks to it (so long as it is effective). I am not sure the Quakes are going to find a genuine identity under Almeyda in 2019. I get the feeling we'll see lots of different looks depending on who's available to play and who is actually contributing.

Maybe that's my wishful thinking, though.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be OK with us experimenting with different lineups and formations. It would help keep the guys on their toes, and adjusting for what other teams do is not a bad idea, especially when you're the small fish, rather than the big fish.

I want us to play like this bad boy, but we aren't there yet, and might not be until 2020.
    [​IMG]

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the season approaches, I am getting more and more depressed about our team. Probably, this is just a fear and loathing hangover from last season, but my is increasing daily. We still have time to make an impact signing or two, so I should relax and drink more whiskey. Still ...

I actually like this one. I haven't seen any team play this, but I can sort of see how it would work.

Maybe, but the 4-5-1 is falling out of favor world wide, so I don't really expect this.

I can imagine this too, even more easily. But it requires that we get a lot of attacking muscle out of Lopez and Lima, which potential exposes us in the back on the counter.

I think you're closer to the mark here, but with Vako on for Wondo, and TT at wide left.

I'd be OK with this, especially if it means that Tommy gets more minutes.

We haven't rebuilt our roster, and our guys are accustomed to playing a 4-4-2. I'm expecting something like this right now.

- - - - - - - Hoesen
    - - - - - - - - - - - - Vako
    TT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Espinosa
    - - - - - Godoy - - - - Judson
    Lopez - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Lima
    - - - - - - Cummings - - Kashia
    - - - - - - - - - - - - JT

Unless we have an attitude sea change, and our guys become much more fit, we're going to get creamed. This lineup is still vulnerable to speedy attackers. JT is not a seasoned GK, and Tarbell is crap. (Unless the new GK coach completely restores his confidence and mojo, there's no chance that Tarbell will be our GK.) Kashia is too slow. Vako flat out isn't good enough. I'm assuming that Judson, Espinosa, and Lopez are legit MLS starters. This doesn't make me optimistic.

Some one talk me off the ledge here!

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the double post but this should go in here...

1086011294946377728 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xman, how do we read this chart?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    The boxes are expected production and the dots are actual players actual production? And are we just looking at attacking players? I went to the website, but didn't see an explanation of this chart.

Any idea?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Foreign attackers" only, so not every player regardless of position. As the guy says, the sample size is small.

I'm assuming the line through the center of each box is the average level of production (xG+xA/$), with the top and bottom of each box the standard deviation...

https://www.biologyforlife.com/interpreting-error-bars.html

An error bar is a line through a point on a graph, parallel to one of the axes, which represents the uncertainty or variation of the corresponding coordinate of the point. In IB Biology, the error bars most often represent the standard deviation of a data set.​

=====

1086324698475044864 is not a valid tweet id

JazzyJ repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, thanks! Then the dots are, as I guessed, actual players. So there's a bodacious Uruguayan in the league, but mostly, the Uruguayans don't do that well.

So we see the Colombians, Argentinians, and Ticos do pretty well for the money. As we Quakesfans know, Salvadorans, Hondurans, and Panamanians have a pretty good track record also. And we've seen some Venezuelans do well in our league. This suggests signing players from overlooked leagues.

Looks like they left Nemeth and Nikolic off their analysis. Those guys have done alright, as did the Estonian guy who played for NYRB several years ago. Again, lesser scouted leagues.

Vako and Kashia are frm the Eredivisie, which suggests that we are over paying for them.

And of course, it's not just about where the guy is from, but how good he is.

And thanks for the stats refresher. I've gotten some statistics over the years, but never had to take a class. (Politics degree, later teaching credentials.)

Go Quakes!!
    We're going to suck again!!

- Mark

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, we have only one pre-season match under our belts, and it's not definitive or anything, but ... doesn't it look like we're going to play a 4-5-1? (4-2-3-1 or however you want to describe it?)

Assuming that this is what Almeyda wants to do, I have at least a couple of problems with it.

Neither Wondo nor Hoesen is a target striker, and we need a target striker for this formation.
    When the outside backs go forward, we become exposed on the counter.
    Kashia and Cummings are too slow to cope with speedy attacks.
    Godoy and Eriksson are still crap.

Does anyone else share these concerns? Am I over reacting?

Go Quakes!!
    Terrified of the coming season!!

- Mark

21. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I assume what should happen if we have four on the back line that is that only one outside back moves up and the remaining three stay back and shift over. Or if you send both backs forward then slip the defensive-mid into the CB position until the back line reforms.

In watching the Reno game on most of those goals I did not even see Judson in the screen so I suspect he totally blew his shift to CB. He did show after the quick action occurred.

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably what should happen, but we got exposed repeatedly against Reno. How's that going to look against the ForestKillers, or shittle, or the Sporks, or any good team? We could get barbequed.

Good thing I have lots of quality whiskey close to hand.

GO Quakes!!
    We'll be better in 2020!!

- Mark

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Still sounds to me as if the central midfield is the major culprit here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bernardez and Goodson were not fast, yet they were incredibly effective defenders due to being relatively protected against counters via the work of the players in front of them, and incredibly savvy positioning.

Foot speed only helps cover up mistakes you already made, it doesn't prevent the more fundamental problems that the Quakes have had all over the field. If Cummings and Kashia weren't prone to positioning themselves poorly, you wouldn't even realize they were slower than other players most of the time.

But if you are going to have a midfield that can't control the ball at all and that is always getting caught in transition, then yes, your central defenders are going to look slow because it's easy to pass around them.

If Godoy is going to trot out there as a starting center mid, then I'm going to always expect the team will cough up goals.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let's blame Godoy and Judson. Still doesn't change the fact that we're crap and we're going to get scorched.

Go Quakes!!
    Pass the Xanax!

- Mark

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    One of the things I’m most interested in finding out is if Almeyda and company can improve the Quake’s second half performances by the use of subs and tactical changes. I’ve felt the Quakes have been consistently out coached by the opposition after half time and if Almeyda can make the proper adjustments then San Jose will out perform expectations.