Lineups, Formations, Tactics, Stats, etc.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say bring on the spoon and the highest draft pick possible. More resources to squander, but hope springs eternal!

DotMPP repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With FC Cincinnati entering next year, I would suspect that the pickings are going to be rather slim...

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a good point, plus the team will probably leave a contributing player open in the expansion draft again like they did with Urena. I know they couldnt protect both Hoesen and Urena, as they wouldn't dare let go of their fool's golden goose, but still, the Quakes may be even worse next year.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: One big question for each MLS team, revisited

San Jose Earthquakes

MATT'S ORIGINAL QUESTION: Can the defense defend?

Nope! Forty-one goals conceded in 22 games is not the worst in the league, but it's among the worst in the league. Left back has been a particular issue, as has defensive midfield, as has goalkeeper, as has centra– you know what? I'll just say that right back Nick Lima's been good and the rest of the situation back there needs a bit of workshopping.

It's all been much better lately with just six conceded in their last five games, though that's come at the expense of their attack. By holding numbers back, they've given up any pretense toward consistent possession or offense (Jesse Gonzalez howlers not withstanding).

BOBBY'S NEW QUESTION: Will Wondo break the scoring record?

The Quakes aren’t making the playoffs. The players are basically playing for their jobs at this point. But that’s morbid, so I want to focus on the optimistic outlook.

Chris Wondolowski is now five goals away from tying the MLS all-time goal scoring record. He’s been in and out of the starting lineup recently, but you wouldn’t know it from his demeanor. When he’s gotten on the field, he’s been every bit as passionate as when he scored 27 goals in a season. I don’t have many biases in MLS at this point, but I want Wondo to get that record.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I like Matt Doyle's Quakes plan better - i.e. #playthekids. I mean I want Wondo to get the record too, but that is not my only "goal" for the team at this point.

alexiskool1991 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really following that chart. We seem to be charting expected shots, versus actual shots per 96 minutes. In order to judge efficiency, we need to include how many of those shots are on frame, don't we? I'm a little confused here.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes get a mention here...

WHY IS ATLANTA'S ATTACK SO DANGEROUS? RUTHLESS CONSISTENCY.

[​IMG]
    Note: yellow means a higher probability, purple a lower probability. The dashed red line indicates that the probability is 50% at that contour.

compare to Atlanta's chart:
    [​IMG]

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very interesting stuff.

So Yefferson is much more likely to make a pass that results in us getting a shot but with a lower completion percentage, whereas Jungwirth is more likely to complete his pass, but with a much lower chance of something good coming from it. (Other than that we maintain possession.)

So the yellow dots are the players with the best completion and aggressive pass combination, the red dots are the safest but least threatening, the blue dots are the most threatening, but least successful, and the green dots just suck.

And only four of our guys make the list. (Not enough time for Kashia? or they made the chart from data before he got here?) Quintana, Cummings, Ockford, Jungwirth, in that order from most aggressive pass and lowest completion to least aggressive and highest completion.

Ockford isn't too far below Cummings on the good offensive pass rating, but he's well above on the completed pass rating. According to this, he may be our best defender in this circumstance.

My take is that Ockford is good, but too slow. I think that we always want to see if the stats correlate with the eye test.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to one day have a player on this list... hey remember when we were going to sign Quintero, or when we were (erroneously) linked to Vela...

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

There are successful teams at both ends of the spectrum, but given the quality of international players we can afford to bring in compared to the top teams, should we be trying to emulate Portland and NYCFC, or SKC and NYRB? I'd argue the latter.

RocktheCasbah4 and markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Sarkar

Sarkar Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since last 4 years, one of my pet peeve about the playing style of Quakes is that Quakes do not practice throw-ins and during a game they typically loose possession 90% of the time, does hot happen for any other team. Expressed my opinion to multiple forums including email to our ex-president Kaval. Mostly people disagreed with me that this is an issue.

Today I feel vindicated when I read at:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/26/jurgen-klopp-appoints-throw-in-coach-liverpool/

"Klopp estimated Liverpool take or defend around 50 throw-ins per match, so it was worthwhile analysing every detail of his team’s performance going into a new season.

After studying his team’s displays last year, Klopp felt his players squandered possession too often from throw-ins. The appointment was geared to rectify that."

Of course the difference with Liverpool is that additionally we do not know how to take goal kicks, free kicks and corner kicks either. Last year Quakes (against Colorado at Denver) conceded a goal from our own free kick, I see plenty of matches of other MLS teams, have never seen this.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw-ins have irked me as well. The Quakes, (as well as other teams) appear to follow some ritual carved in stone that the outside back must take the throw in. And all to often waiting for the designated throw-in taker to arrive allows for the defense to set themselves. I think the Quakes should adopt a tactic where the person closest the ball quickly take the throw-in.

19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This throw-in issue has been with the Quakes probably since 2008. It is frustrating. I would say that the lack of movement is one of the reasons we struggle. Another is either a lack of trust or lack of skill that your team mate can control the ball under pressure. When I watch other games, mostly players would just quickly throw in the ball and get things back to run of play. Our team just take so long and throw the ball to someone's head hoping for a 50/50 chance.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our throwin issues are multifold. First, we rarely have a player near the thrower to make for an easy throw and retain possession. Second, we should try to give the thrower three options, near, medium, and far. And we don't have anyone with a longish throwin, excepting Lima.

The dithering on who's going to throw the ball in is stupid too. As @Earthshaker noted, there's some sort of designated structure to our throws. Whoever is closest throws it in. And we need to practice this. We lose possession far, far too often on throwins.

I've been complaining about this for years. Nice to see other people taking up the torch!! Thank you!!

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

21. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Our major suckage at throw ins also has a lot to do with off the ball movement. Like our suckage with regular passing.

tenfourteen, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We went through Yallop, Watson Dom and now have Stahre. We even have different GMs. Players also come and go. This lack of movement or throw-in issue has been persistent. I don't know why.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One-time Quakes target Darwin Quintero is on that 2018 list, despite arriving after the season started...

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Doyle says if he had to do it now he’d put Yueill on his 22 list based on his performances over the last few weeks... not sure I agree but glad someone thinks so highly of him.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.