Lineup for Jamaica? [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Allamerican74, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I was thinking that for the last 2nd round WCQ that Arena probably should bring in only MLSers for it with the exception of maybe Spector. This of course wouldn't include any players on the MLS Cup Final clubs since it is only 3 days earlier. Most of our Yanks Abroad will be needed by their clubs and the travel will cost them. I'm thinking McBride, Reyna, Beasley etc.

This way we can also look at some players we haven't seen much. Gaven, Dempsey, Buddle etc and bring in Cannon or Walker. Wouldn't go crazy though and call up Adu!

Any thoughts about this?

2. randall_pink

randall_pink New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tampa, via ATL
    What a game. What a result. The rest of Concacaf should be concerned.

Wont be surprised to hear Panama crying a bit if we dont pick a good squad fo the Jamaica game... I am guessing that Bruce brings in only MLS players, (maybe a few who arent getting games overseas,) but goes for a nice mixture of old and young. Remember, we can knock Jamaica out of the Hex Round with a win, potentially. That would be huge to have a lesser team in panama or el sal go through... The office is not a place Bruce wants to go again, certainly...

I think the lineup goes something like this:

Walker
    Hejduk, Marshall, Pope, Convey
    Donovan, Dempsey, Gaven, Noonan
    Johnson, Wolff

Cannon, Cobi, Pablo, Martino, and Twellman coming of the bench.

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    [I think the lineup goes something like this:

Walker
    Hejduk, Marshall, Pope, Convey
    Donovan, Dempsey, Gaven, Noonan
    Johnson, Wolff

Cannon, Cobi, Pablo, Martino, and Twellman coming of the bench.[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty good...like to see Buddle though

4. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Bruce will definitely bring in some new players, but I wouldn't expect to see as many wholesale changes as listed above. He's got an established record of slowly introducing people to the national team, and it's just not his style to start players that quickly. Some of those players I expect to see in the Jan/Feb camps though (Marshall & Dempsey).

The starting team there includes two players without Caps, 4 players who have never played in a WCQ, and 5 who have never started a WCQ. I think you'll see Gooch called in to start a game (even though he's in Europe), Johnson start with Wolff, Pablo or Zavagnin in the middle (I still think Pablo's the better player), and Gaven either starting or off the bench. I'd love to see these new plays all get significant minutes; at the same time, I don't want their confidence shattered after one game, which a high-profile mistake or two can do. EJ is sky-high right now because he's been brought in at the right time and at the right pace.

The big issue is who makes it to the MLS Cup Final. That will largely dictate who he calls in.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that a close loss was of no value to Panama. 0-6 wasn't any worse than 0-1. They subbed in midfielders for defenders after the first two goals, in attempts to tie the game. That left 2 tired defenders and a large midfield to stop a fresh EJ!

6. randall_pink

randall_pink New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tampa, via ATL

Good point. I think maybe dempsey and marshall were a stretch looking back on it. I would be encouraged to see us make some larger efforts to getting dempsey games soon, since we have aging stalwarts at that CDM position and he appears (at least to me) to be a good solution long term.

Very versatile player too, it would be nice to have him in the side for the World Cup, maybe....

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    What I'd like to see, if we're willing to call in at least some of the Euros...

...........Johnson McBride
    Beasley Donovan Zavagnin Gaven
    .......Boca Gooch Pope Sanneh
    ..................Friedel

A mix of old and new. Really, the lineup will greatly depend on club situations and who Bruce feels comfortable calling in from Europe and who is still involved in MLS.