Like or hate new bigsoccer

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by WhiteStar Warriors, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Like or Hate it

1. Like

28 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Hate

76 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've given it a few weeks, biting my lip most of the time. But I have to say I'm squarely with the 73% who HATE the new system.

I honestly can't think of 1 thing that it does better than the old software. The UI and the features seem very immature & naiive for a bbs/forums platform.

I won't bother to itemize anything (that's what the "Bugs" threads are for) but I have to wonder what on earth was the motivation to get off the old software and replace it with this sad substitute?

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Huss' response from another thread.

I can accept that.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Like.

I hate it when anyone moves the furniture, but after a period of adjustment on this, like.

The difference in speed is obvious and terrific AFAIAC, and a justification for any number of disadvantages, and I see no reason to believe that the forum tree is gone forever.

I agree that the look is bland and the fonts hard to read; but raising my page to 125% seems to be a worakable palliative-- gets rid of much of the gray and raises the font legibility.

Only problem I have had is not related-- I tried to upgrade to premium, and it won't let me do it without going through the Paypal account that I haven't used in so long I no longer remember how... might want to give us the option to ignore our past there...

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What happened to "Forums" on the home page? Blogs aren't forums

5. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Member since 04 here. I've been coming to the site last couple days and leaving immediately cause it's so hard to read and navigate.

I made it a point to actually find this thread so I can add my name to the "hate it" list. Please do something, this site sucks on so many levels, the last version of BS was perfect minus the occasional jams on big games. Seems like the specific forums I visit have been a lot slower lately too. It's just a hassle to read, navigate, and post here now. Hope it gets fixed or I will not be coming back that often anymore.

Craig P and pwykes repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the Community link

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No server hiccups at all during record CL traffic. Move seems smart to me. :)

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The site still looks like crap, but hey, congratulations on upgrading or whatever you want to call this mess.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Forum" (singular) is back. Not sure what happened to Community. Maybe put out an APB. :)

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with everything being in the center of the screen? Is that to give more ad real estate to the right and left sides?

11. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The old site was centered too Mike

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if it looks good, but runs like shit, you're okay with that?

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why it can't both look good and run well. It's a database driven website. Running one is nowhere near as hard as you're all making it out to be.

Do you have any sort of configuration management process?

14. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate so far. The color scheme/contrast hurts my eyes. The massive amount of white space is driving me nuts. Why is there so much wasted space per post? I used to see multiple posts on 1 screen but now see 1.2-1.3 posts per screen at most. That plus the inability to change posts per page sucks. I assume the latter decision was made get more page views for ad revenue. When I hide sigs, why does all the space for sigs remain? Silly.

The loss of multipage multiquote kills something I used all the time. As others have mentioned navigating after the upgrade sucks. I know the left side menu is coming back but right now I just don't check some boards I used to read because quick nav and using the forums tab to get around is so slow. Probably a bad sign when users have to study a 14 page guide to use a forum. :rolleyes:

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm curious if there's any numbers to share, but the post rate in the Galaxy fourm is way, way down lately (may have something to do with the Galaxy being ********ing terribles, who knows).

The place just seems like a ghost town in all the places I frequent (MLS, Galaxy, FC Dallas, YA)...

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to get that feeling as well (well, not in Customer Service...) like in P&CE which is hardly ever lagging for posts.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My posting is way down since the upgrade. I guess one way to make the site run faster is make it so unusable and ugly that people stay away and don't post. That would certainly make the servers respond better.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  18. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Just logged on for the first time in a couple of months.

Visually it looks a lot better than the previous version to me; don't feel I have to spend twenty minutes with Adblock and RIP to remove the rubbish which littered the last one. More restrained all round, though it would be good to see an option to disable any mention of facebook (and similar).

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we've down for a while. Arsenal, and a couple of other premiership teams where I lurk, are down, as is books, coaching, and some weeks, Movies and Music. I had noticed this before the changeover, but it does seem a bit more pronounced now.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and some of it will be a cross over from the European leagues ending. This is why I specifically mentioned P&CE which seem not to be effected by that demographic on a notable scale.