Like or hate new bigsoccer

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by WhiteStar Warriors, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Like or Hate it

1. Like

28 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Hate

76 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree. Slower functioning and in general the loading speed is disappointingly slow compared to the old forums. It's a shame because I was thinking about forking out some dough to support this forum before the change.

As long as they still bring exactly everything back from the old forum setup, including the better speed, then I still might do so.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, FYI, we've used a third party service to test loading speeds and forumdisplay pages are loading in 47% less seconds, threads are loading in 54% less seconds and the main forum list is loading in 6% less seconds. Higher on Chrome. Lower on IE. But higher than old forums in all cases.

Lusankya repped this.
  3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I see the forum I paid for as part of the original premium package has vanished without a trace.

BobanFan repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Since I already bitched I should post some things I like.

I like that my avatar is the indicator that i've posted in a thread vs. the old arrow icon.

I also like the auto alerts when people quote/reply to your post and give it rep.

It definitely feels snappier, and the posts seem to go through instantly (thought I find it strange they just get shoved on the bottom of the current page, even if there are futher posts and your post appears to "move").

5. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    This new version is UTTER SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't find anything, takes longer, aesthetically unpleasant and because ******** you that's why.

Problem?

Huss repped this.
  6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Permissions appear ok. You don't see any of the premium forums?

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got banned for nothing. no card. no explanation. unless MLS users are sensitive.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were banned from the MLS forums because you were banned from them pre-upgrade and the upgrade cleared all forum bans. If you want to have your an lifted, PM Ismitje and request it.

9. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I dont see the personal premium forums . I tried searching for my posts via my profile and no posts from my forum shows up .My direct link to the forum says the forum doesnt exist .

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe its latency to do with you?

For me its lightening fast

11. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    speed? speed?

that is like getting a ferrari to go watch a cricket match when before we used a toyota to go to a champions league game. how hard is it to bring back the yellow? black text on white post background and gray page background?

no 'who is viewing this forum?' how hard is that to implement. also bring back rep comments and in the rep page show the comment of the person that repped you with a link to your post. simple as that.

12. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Okay kids.
    I work in design and advertising and also develop typefaces, so I understand user usability and information design well. :p

There are 3 tremendously huge problems. 1) legibility and hierarchy issues that make the eye not being able to focus on what you are looking at, 2) proper use of space, 3) organization of key information.

There is no real contrast with this new layout. Everything just feels too flat and gray. Some text like "dates" should be a little bigger and most buttons should be darker and more visible.
    Also, look at the top of the site. The important information like menu items, links are small and not too visible. This is quite possibly the most important part of the entire site. The search box is by far the most prominent elements at the top of the site.
    So, the menu items are tiny and then there seems to be a huge waste of space everywhere else. There is a lot scrolling now. The space between posts could be reduced.
    Everywhere I look it feels like you can't tell where something begins and something ends.

We are all going to get used to these new skin, but it will slow down navigation through the site... from page to page, from thread to thread. At the very least tighten the space in between elements, posts and increase the size of menu items and "clickable" text like links, and the site as a whole will be a little better.

Serif fonts are not legible on screen. The one used here is Georgia and it is probably the most legible on screen serif font there is. Garamond and Times New roman were created way before computers existed and the letterforms are distorted on monitors. They are really awful choices, not to mention not all computers have Garamond installed. Sans Serif fonts are what should be used here. As much as some people might hate it, Verdana is the way to go. It's ugly as hell, but it is quite possibly the most expensive font ever created with only one purpose... to perform like no other font on screen. Arial would be an obvious second alternative.

joe and spejic repped this.
  13. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh yeah... forgot to mention the site looks a little sad, depressing and very uninviting.
    It's almost as if Bigsoccer wanted us to not be here that much and for other people to not feel like joining.

We appreciate the effort coz it does look like "aesthetics" was in mind, but in this case it affected usability.

joe and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  14. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I like it. Less clutter, nice muted colours (I actually like the white/grey/black). I spent all of 5 minutes getting used to finding where things are now, which I thought was pretty good given the magnitude of the changes. I had no problems finding my subscribed threads and forums, updating my details, etc. And it does seem faster.

Well done, I say.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow.... a Sarabella sighting. That's one for the books.

sarabella repped this.
  16. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Where's Banter gone?

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

[​IMG]

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    there is some bug with the premium forums..
    They havent been visible for 3 days now .

19. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ah right, thought they had been quiet until i tried to find it today.

20. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know, I know... it's a monstrosity.

Let's just do this...
    font-family: Helvetica!!, Verdana, 'Trabuchet Ms', Arial, sans-serif;

;)

21. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little bland in my opinion, and the avatar feature seems to have been messed up, but it won't stop me from visiting. =P

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Just go to Comic Sans and all will be well. :p :eek:

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    WTF, so now we can't delete our posts??? Bush league.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can delete your own posts within a certain time frame... There is a Delete link next to the time stamp st the bottom of the post..

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Ah I see. I was used to deleting them thru the edit function. Thanks.