Ligue 1 PSGvNantes referee appears to kick player

Discussion in 'Referee' started by TxSooner, Jan 14, 2018.

1. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  2. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Wow. He won’t be Reffing in Ligue 1 for quite some time.

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He should have sent himself off!

PH

superdave and msilverstein47 repped this.
  4. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    i was watching this after watching the barcelona game. kept rewinding it to see if I missed something
    i guess in france, the kicking the player is their version of a "what the hell" utterance
    was the second yellow for a lack of apology:)
    and yes he did kick him, sanctions to come

5. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When I saw the headline, I would have sworn it had to be click-bate. Some innocuous act blown way out of proportion, like the referee attempting to get up, and it just looked like a kick.

Now, what would VAR rule on that?

6. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    That's what I thought, too - but having seen it there's no doubt in my mind that it's a deliberate kick by the referee (and not just an attempt, he actually makes contract). To make matters worse, the referee seems to be the one that caused the collision in the first place, by cutting across into the player's path. Then, to add insult to injury, he sends the player off for something that he himself was guilty of causing.

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the video on a different site. Absolutely unacceptable from the referee. First of all, it looks like he knew someone was behind him and close. Second, you just can't do that as an official. I'm guessing the red card is rescinded and that this referee's retirement is quietly expedited.

8. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Forget about VAR, wonder what the other officials were saying during all of this?

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same! 4th and trail AR should have seen and intervened. Absolutely embarrassing decision from referee.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I was also really curious about the rest of the referee team. The R obviously did not see what happened as he was clipped from behind. He doesn’t t bounce up with the red in his hand, so I would surmise that he had some input before he pulled the card.

One other thought. Do we know that the send off was for the trip and not for something that was said afterwards?

12. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The referee showed a caution first, but it was the player's second. Maybe dissent from the kick out?

13. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I believe after the kick out occurred, the player was walking away from the referee and said something before the referee gave him the second caution so it was probably dissent.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    File this under “Things you contemplated doing but knew you should never do.”

me116 repped this.
  15. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman and Cactus837 repped this.
  16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how he can do any professional match for the rest of this season.

Even him coming back next season is a "we'll see then" situation.

17. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read somewhere that he had already had his retirement papers in. He is 45 I believe. Maybe he was just trying to get something off his "bucket list"????

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time I've imagined dissent meaning "complaining to a referee that he tried to trip you when he actually did do just that." :)

Some of you suggested the rest if the referee team getting involved. Is there any appropriate way to do this with a guy so clearly out of line? How would you do this and not have it devolve even further?

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, short of refusing to continue, I'm not sure what the others could do besides hang on. Chances are they weren't 100% confident that the referee was in the wrong. After all, they've got their own responsibilities to pay attention to.

Such a bizarre incident.

20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it was a second caution, seemingly for dissent, absolutely nothing.

But why would they be watching the referee? Not that they should be watching the ball, but there eyes should be either watching behind the referee's back or another potential danger zone, perhaps on the wing. I'm sure they would have the referee in their peripheral vision, but I am also pretty sure it wouldn't be enough to tell the referee the trip was accidental.

Moreover, the misconduct took a few seconds to issue, after the player was walking away, and it was a 2CT. That indicates dissent. So even if they could say with certainty that he wasn't tripped intentionally, I don't believe they'd have a way to prevent the red card, given how it all went down.

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    We also don't know what was said. While the referee's conduct was clearly not acceptable, that doesn't give the player carte blanche. The second caution and resulting send off could well have been the completely proper decision.

22. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if any of you saw the update on the scenario, but there was not dissent. The yellow card was issued because the CR thought he was intentionally tripped. Yellow card was rescinded.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Happen to have a source? That really doesn't make any sense--if the ref thought a player had deliberately tripped him it should have been a straight red. I can't see any way that you can get from tripping the ref to a caution.

24. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I haven't seen a longer replay, but if the ref felt that he was deliberately tripped, he should have restarted with a DFK under the new rules. I would be interested to see if he at least got that right...

25. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longer version of the video appears to show him signalling for DFK and then PSG preparing to take the restart, so my assumption that it was for dissent appears incorrect unless he got the restart wrong or he waited to give the IFK signal until play was ready to resume. I'd love to figure out at what point he blew the whistle, because that might help us piece things together:

It's all very confusing. The DFK is correct if he felt he was deliberately tripped, but then the 2CT is wrong unless Chapron somehow reasoned that a deliberate physical act against an official could be UB. This makes the hypothetical VAR question all the more interesting because while he sent the player off for an act that should have been a straight red card, the fact that he issued a 2CT instead would have prevented the initial mistake from being corrected. So it's a weird situation where two mistakes ensure that the first mistake can't be fixed. Granted, we're unlikely to see something exactly like this again, but it does illustrate a weird dynamic that could emerge, where referees might have an incentive in the future to go straight red for SFP or VC over a 2CT in some instances, just so they have the safety net of being able to correct themselves if they totally screwed up.

socal lurker repped this.