Liga MX is ending promotion and relegation...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Coyote89, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/liga-ban...-relegation-could-have-dangerous-implications

I've been among those who have argued AGAINST pro/rel for MLS on the basis that the league needs stability to foster the hundreds of millions of dollars in investment that are required to build new stadiums, training facilities, development academies, or even to sign elite players and coaches to lucrative, multi-year deals. Sponsors want stability too.

But it's rather interesting to see another league abandon the pro/rel concept based on huge financial disparities between the first and second divisions. They will apparently follow a MLS model.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I wouldn't call it a MLS model. They are not going single-entity. Liga MX is not even going closer to the NFL which shares almost all revenue. MLB would be the closest parallel where the teams share national revenue but local revenue differences create huge disparities and they don't have much of a salary cap. Liga MX will be a closed league (for a while). That is really the only similarity to MLS.

The Franchise repped this.
  3. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Agreed. When the article referred to it being more of a MLS model, I presumed they meant the closed league aspect.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ending promotion and relegation?

Doesn't quite say that in the article.

5. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
  6. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The four year proposal sounds more like a preliminary for a permanent switch than something actually temporary. But Mexico's population and geography is probably better suited to a permanent-membership first division than it is for the more traditional pro/rel model of a small number of contenders and a rotating list of also-rans. It's a large nation, with more wealth than most Americans think.

The limited pro/rel of the past will mean the switch won't be that hard. Fans there like having more teams contend for the league titles than in most leagues. They'll see some expansions to Juarez, Merida, the north side of Mexico City, and maybe SLP.

oknazevad, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now if Mexico doesn't qualify for the 2022 World Cup, Eric Wynalda will run for president of CONCACAF.

mschofield repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what I read, they are ending Relegation but not promotion.

They will expand to 24 teams, then I am not sure what will happen.

They do have standards that promoted teams have to meet to be allowed promotion, I think only 7 out of the 16 teams in D2 meet those standards.

So if one of the other 9 wins then they can not get promoted, but they get a few million dollars for their troubles.

Unak78 repped this.