Lifting Sal's ban

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by P to the Wee, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yep that was a "I understand your POV but you're wrong and it doesn't matter what context" classic mod response. Don't like it, we'll shut it down.

Calcio Pauly and Midfield General repped this.
  2. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The moderator circle jerk going here is hilarious.

No, really.

Top notch entertainment.

3. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    They're doing the Lords work.

4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sal must of shagged Coochs sister......and she must of loved it ....only explansion.

They don't call him squritle for nothing

5. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Or the Palestinean redhead.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    #156 dark knight, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    So this is why this discussion is difficult for me. We've been convicted of crimes that cannot be erased by facts, words, or reason. By trying to explain, we are mocked for our opinion and told that if we don't bend to your positions that you are taking your ball and going home because it's no longer fun.

Sometimes I can't tell if all of this seeming faux outrage is just another wind-up, because there is very little acknowledgement that Sal brings a lot of this on himself and tries to play mods for fools.

So, whether anyone cares or not about the facts as I see them - here they are:

1. I've never accused Sal of being a racist, nor am I particularly interested in a debate about whether what he posted is racist. What concerns me is the fact that there is tons of outrage for our trying to do our best to reduce racism on these boards. The best way to clear up mix-ups of this kind is to apologize, take your infraction, pledge to do better next time and move on. Instead, what we get is a bunch of folks outraged about it and Sal not exactly apologetic. That is just a really out of whack reaction, in my opinion. I've been accused of being "racist" towards Italians and I'm certainly not going to get all bent out of shape and outraged about it.

2. I did not delete his account, and it's very rare that I would do that. Y'all keep repeating this but it's not true. There have been no decisions about the length of the ban. But the army of hostile outraged folks any time we apply Big Soccer red cards to this guy has to factor into the equation. Why should we subject ourselves to this abuse? I've seen like one guy in this thread be polite and say Sal is a nice guy. You know another way to get second chances here besides not continuously blowing smoke up our ass and trying to understand why you keep having problems with us? -- It's to have a bunch of cool posters speak on your behalf in a way that is both understanding of what went down and why he deserves more second chances.

3. That thread posted earlier with scantily clad women while surely adds more fuel to the fire of your conspiracies does not change my answer. This site survives on advertising and advertisers don't want NSFW stuff in our forums, and we want people to be able to browse at work without fear of problems with employers. Again, not something most folks would mock, ridicule our try to play gotcha with. If you have no sensitivity for this point, I'm not sure how we can move forward in any discussion. That thread that was linked was set up originally to be unknown unless you had the URL and it's supposed to be PG, although I don't monitor it and truthfully I forgot it was still alive. See #4 below:

4. Not that it should warrant a comment, but playing gotcha with my sal's mom joke is just another example of why this doesn't seem like a serious discussion. Don't rep a clear joke like that and then because it suits your agenda try to spin it as something horrible. None of these outraged posts seem to take into account that this isn't a one or two isolated incidents in a vacuum.

5. I get it, no answer other than @Sal is great and should be freed will make y'all happy but after this latest instance and the fall out, I'm not in a big rush to make decisions about that. Clearly, we can't win. If this makes BigSoccer unfun for you, then maybe what makes it fun for you is not consistent with what we think this site should be about.

Thanks.

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    and then instead of saying sorry he was the one who took the flamethrower to ciuccs' eyebrows.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  8. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You guys are a bunch of Commies.

Vote Trump. Make America great again.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  9. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Why would one apologize for being accused of something that isn't true?

"Sure I don't agree with them calling you a racist but hey, just accept your punishment and move on."

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is a reason BS is free. There are rules. If the people in charge think/believe you violated them, you are punished.

You can join some other form if you want. No one is making post on BS. In fact someone already made a gofundme for that exact cause.

https://www.gofundme.com/FREESAL

11. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Yes BS is free and they can do whatever they want and I have the right to challenge whatever they do and they have the right to delete, censor, ban me or plain out ignore me. No one is arguing otherwise.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    As have the mods been doing with Sal labelling his post as racist.

Yet none of the mods will answer the question:

How do you determine calling those who were destroying private property/business establishments in that neighborhood animals wasn't because of *what they were doing* but instead chosen to be interpreted that it was because of their skin color?

Why is that?

meazza repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having not gone that far into this other than what I've seen in this thread, the big objection many of you have is that Sal is being unjustly accused of racism, and by extension, his ban is unjust.

Let me let all of you in on something: It doesn't matter anymore.

If a player gets a completely undeserved yellow card, he has a right to be upset. But if the second the referee puts the card back in his pocket, he goes in studs up on somebody, HE'S OFF, and HE'S STUPID.

None of you are acknowledging that he's gone off the rails several times. Even if the one ban you're all fretting about was wrong, he's been given second, third and fourth chances and still can't stay out of trouble.

I'm sorry -- you just don't have a credible argument.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Ah ok I get it now.

[​IMG]

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, in polite society if I offend you intentional or not, I'm likely to apologize. Of course you don't have to do that, but if instead you get outraged and blame me for being offended by what you said, don't be shocked if I'm not jumping up and down to keep you as a member of the polite society.
    I'm not revisiting that again. Like I said, I'm not accusing Sal of racism nor is that what's at issue here. But to my point above, if nothing I say matters, why am I even trying to explain anything to you?

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan

Isn't that the issue here? One mod said he was racist, the others agreed, then he was out under the microscope and all we hey is: he did something grave. I'm very interested in the mods putting money where their mouth is. Let's see the animal post and the ones where he allegedly "quoted white supremist websites". I'm pretty sure I know what that one was about, and it wasn't a white or a quote from a white supremist, but I don't want to assume at that point. Let's see the facts.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This is a complete waste of time. I refuse to give sal a second chance until this group here a) acknowledges his responsibility in his current situation, b) agrees to stop with the hostility and sarcasm and treat the moderators who work for free with at least some respect, and c) if he ever whines to his friends about mistreatment like this again, he's not coming back.

18. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Since when does the behavior of other people have an impact on the person at hand? What if I hated Sal and wanted him banned forever, wouldn't this just motivate me to continue further?

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Then Sal would be even more screwed. I don't see why we should take endless amounts of abuse from people who won't listen to anything we have to say. If Sal wants to come back he needs to stop telling people lies about why he was banned.

20. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Let's be real here Sal won't be unbanned regardless of what is discussed here.

21. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

22. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Can we sacrifice one of us to bring sal back? Head on a platter

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  23. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course I repped it. I'm always laughing at jokes about Sal's mom. Doesn't mean it won't upset it, but if I laugh I laugh. Sue me.

But of course it doesn't seem like a serious question. I expected nothing else from the mods here. Funny that a mod in the Italy forum took this stance, but nothing was done to maintain it. Or maybe rules don't apply to the mods:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...015-16-edition.2023814/page-100#post-33418243

How many infraction points were given? 0?

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...015-16-edition.2023814/page-139#post-33555834

Maybe there's an exception for when those jokes can be made?

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...015-16-edition.2023814/page-106#post-33435056

Nope guess not.

Again, I'm being serious, but as I said, I don't expect the mods here to actually explain how this situation is different to me. It's okay, lets put it under the rug and just say "Silly P to the Wee, always making stupid posts!"

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

It's not serious because you don't actually give a crap about this other than trying to score some points in Operation Prove Mods Are Mean To Your Friend.

25. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The behavior would be called animal like if it was a group of white people doing it too. Again, we won't agree on it, but can't you at least see our point of view, even if you don't agree with it?

Yes, but the previous ban and extension of it seem questionable. Of course it won't be discussed because it's all about flexing mod muscles on here.

Maybe with some/most posters but I believe that Sal had a target on his back, especially in the Italian forums. The guy can rub people the wrong way and I have no doubt that he did that to the Italian mods, hence why they were quicker to pull the trigger on him than others.

It's unpaid work but it's also a choice. If you choose to do the job, you should be expected to do it correctly. I use to moderate a huge basketball forum, it wasn't easy and that's why I stopped and told myself I would never mod again. But at least you admit you make mistakes, as you can see for yourself in this thread, some flat out refuse to because they're too proud.

Can you honestly tell me anything is really being debated? I just see a lot of internet flexing going on and lecturing. No actual discussion.