Life At Slavia Prague's Academy: Alex Wesolowsky

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by PhillyFury, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Happens all the time, even between highly respected academy teams of Feyenoord, PSV and Ajax. We a few weeks ago did beat Ajax U19 5-3.

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    That’s because nobody plays any defense in the Netherlands :sneaky:

PhillyFury and Winoman repped this.
  3. :DNope, it's the way we toughen up our CD's to become studs like de Vrij, van Dijk and de Ligt.:p Others should try it too:)

4. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of it has to do with the length of the game. At this age, they play three periods of 25 minutes. By that last period, a lot of sloppy goals are scored as usually the losing team loses its mojo. Plus, the regulation goal means pretty much any high shoots on target go in. But it all varies. For example, Slavia's U14s tied Nuremberg 2-2. On the other hand, Slavia's U19s beat Sparta the other day 7-0, and that's definitely not an age group in the kiddie category....

5. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season winding down now, which is a good thing as the injuries mount. Son's dealing with this Osgood Schlatter knee problem, which makes running over stretches of time tough. Hopefully, a month or so of rest will fix that. Anyway, he played a half yesterday in a friendly against local side ABC Branik's U14s. Essentially, this is a 'farm' team for Slavia. Interesting to see that the boys from Branik at 14 were much bigger and stronger than what I remember from months ago. Tough game. Son came in for the second half with the score tied at two. In first fifteen minutes, Slavia took control, scoring three quickies in about fifteen minutes. My boy got a pass on the wing from our right back and barreled into the box, shooting into the far corner for a nice goal. Coach praised him, saying the team was much better in the second half. Off tomorrow for a friendly in Bavaria against SpVgg Greuther Furth. Should he feel okay, he'll head to Germany next week for a tourney with an impromptu "Czech" team...

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  6. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, boys headed this morning to Furth, which appears to pretty much abut Nuremburg. The game against SpVgg Greuther Furth was played fullfield, 11x11, in three periods of 25 minutes each. Wasn't too happy to hear they played on astroturf, which is tough on the joints. Son said he played not sparingly, but was subbed a bit. Still managed to score two and set up one. Slavia won the game 7-3 against a decent German side and the coaches appeared pleased from the reaction we got over whatsup. Maybe one more tourney next week in Germany with this Czech select side and then a game or two with the Prague select team to determine the champs of the country. After that, he'll have a month or so to get his body into shape.

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread as always, thanks. Not sure how I feel about a kid as young as yours getting wear and tear from games and training, but if he's happy it doesn't matter. Thanks for all the detailed updates, really interesting look into elite Czech youth soccer :D

TxEx and PhillyFury repped this.
  8. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #208 PhillyFury, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Yeah, the injuries are a concern for all of us. My son's relatively okay, although this has put off him going to Heerenveen for that week of training that I mentioned earlier. Hopefully, that goes forward in the fall. There are other kids on the team who are literally running from one practice to another, not only with the team but individually. Plus, there's one boy who's playing not only for Slavia but another top team about seventy miles to the east. He's very small for his age, and I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact he has nothing to grow on. He's literally skin and bones. Not surprisingly, he's out now with some kinda strained thigh or hamstring. My son's about five six now, and he hasn't started going thru puberty yet. The doctors say he will be big. Just struggles a bit getting used to his transforming body. In the past, I worried whether he was training enough. Now, it's whether he's getting enough rest. Last year in Andorra, talked to some of the parents from the top Spanish teams there and was told at one team at least, can't remember which, they were still only practicing as a team three times a week. The other time the boys were honing their skills individually or resting. Given the way the Spanish play, seems a smart strategy. On a non-related note, starting next season, I'll put his name on this thing. Seems kinda silly at this point to keep it all anonymous. Can a top honcho tell me if I can do that or do I need to make a request to change the title?

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Has the youth training regimen and fixture schedule always been this intense or is it more recent change? I guess I'm wondering if it is club trend or just the nature of youth player development for that age group.

10. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think here at least in the Czech Republic it is pretty standard, at least at Sparta and Slavia...

11. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down to the last few days before the curtain comes down on the 2018-19 season. One last game against Austria Vienna on Friday and maybe a few games at a tourney on Saturday, including the U13 Chinese national team. Overall, son had a good season limited a bit by this Osgood Schlatter thing. That was likely caused by the big growth spurt he experienced the past month or so. If he was healthy, would've probably played with the U13 Prague Select side at the national finals this week. Bummed he missed out on that. The Heerenveen trial has been put on hold to October. Scout there told me they are still interested and he can come then.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Oh the memories!

PhillyFury repped this.
  13. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please tell me this is nothing serious. I've read and read what I can find about it and it seems just something unfortunate associated with growth when the bones are basically longer than the muscles, putting strain on them, in this case the tendon below the knee.....

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's what I remember being told when I went through it [REDACTED] years ago. I don't remember if it happened to everyone, but I recall it being basically a common part of growing up.

appwrangler and PhillyFury repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Happened to both my kids. Not serious, but very painful.

PhillyFury repped this.
  16. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's okay if its one game or a practice. But when it's an all-day tourney, it's bad. Luckily he'll have a month or so of rest. We'll see. I saw there's some kinda brace you can buy to support the tendon that causes the pain.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I coached a couple sets of teen girls' teams, probably close to half had problems with Osgood Schlatters and it would stay with the individual girls for the better part of a 3.5-month season, but I don't remember it lasting to a 2nd season for any of them.

18. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, that's the case here. Fortunately, there's a break now. So, he can rest it for over a month.

Winoman repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I remember having it in middle school, and it really bothered me one year playing indoor. I had to take ibuprofen constantly and ice my knees after playing every time, but I think it went away in maybe 6-8 months, leaving me none the worse for wear.

UniversalAdvice, PhillyFury and Winoman repped this.
  20. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DSC_0126.jpg

Thanks for all the encouraging words! Lifted my spirits. Anyway, the season is done for my son, just a week earlier than planned. Finished on Saturday, making a brief appearance in a tourney in Prague. Got into games against tough opponents. Against Austria Vienna, played first half, twenty minutes. It was 0-0 at half, after subs came in, Austria scored two quickies, and son got sent back in. Unfortunately, one of his shots hit the bar, but Slavia lost this one 2-0. Austria had a few boys, Bosnians, who were just bigger and stronger than most of our guys. Even my son, who's grown a lot was a bit smaller than one of their guys, who seemed much older than 13. In the other game he played a lot, against Zbrojovka Brno, had a nice goal, beating two defenders before putting a nice shot passed their goalie, who was voted top of the tourney. That game ended 1-1 and Slavia lost on penalties. Son had his effort stopped. Now time to give him a month or so of rest so he is ready for next season. At U14, they will be playing in the top national league. So, no more friendlies, but regular season games every week 11x11 with five subs allowed. So, coach told us it's likely a lot of players will be seeing a lot less playing time....Someone pass the Tums.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's heartening to see a true Osgood Schlatter reunion crew here. I am also an alum.

largegarlic and PhillyFury repped this.
  22. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    July 22. The first day of the new season. And new is the word. New coach, new players, new league, new school (more about that later). Son was at Slavia's training center at eightish this morning for a first go. Said the new coach, Lukas Jarolim, a former pro player, is terrific, and nice. So, so far, so good. They will train again on Tuesday, before heading out to Nymburk on Thursday for a week-long camp, including a few friendlies. After that, practice in August, with lots of two-a-day sessions, and a tourney in Croatia. Son's knee is good. Seems the time off has helped. We'll see....

23. :thumbsup:Good to read that!

PhillyFury repped this.
  24. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Just FYI, we are still on for Heerenveen with a schedule ETA in late October....

UniversalAdvice, TxEx, eliwood and 2 others repped this.
  25. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, son is off for Nymburk, about 40 miles east of Prague and the sports center there, which I've written about in the past. Lots of fields, pool, saunas, whirlpools, the works. Good spot for jocks to sharpen their skills. Goings on in the team so far are veiled in secrecy, at least for us parents. It seems at this age, the boys are expected to be mature enough to communicate directly with the coach. So, we kept asking our son if the coach had told them what time they needed to show up this morning to get the bus. In the past, whatsapp was the tool of communication between parents and coaches. Now, it seems that is largely over. I guess that's the way it should be. I'm sure the world over, parents are the ultimate coach's headache. As for the training this week, Slavia's U14s and U15s will be there till next Tuesday. Temps are high across Europe now, so not exactly the best weather for running around, chasing a ball. While there, they'll play two games, including one against Slask Wroclaw, a decent Etraklasa side from Poland....