Life At Slavia Prague's Academy: Alex Wesolowsky

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by PhillyFury, Nov 26, 2017.

1. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend, the boys headed west to Germany and four-on-four indoors. This weekend, it was Slovakia in the east for two full-field 11-on-11 games against two top Slovak clubs. After leaving Prague on Friday at nine in the morning, they arrived in Nitra, not too far from Bratislava, at a little past three. At six thirty under the lights on a frosty turf field in the shadows of a centuries-old castle, they faced off against FC Nitra. Wearing turfs, some of the Slavia players were slipping and sliding, and after the first third of the game were down 0-1. After that, they adjusted in the second third, getting two (first by son) to go ahead 2-1. Final third was a formality as our fresh players outran them, scoring four more to win 6-1. Second game was today against FC Spartak Trnava. This one ended with the same score for Slavia 6-1. Son scored two in this one. Said Nitra was much better than Trnava. The coach called this a mini-camp. On Saturday, they went for a run and then spent most of the day at an aquapark, swimming and what not. Good weekend overall. Next week, Polish side Katowice comes to Prague to play us.

2. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A photo after a big win late last year against top local rival Sparta Prague. 45311634_10156841626159708_2693109374091526144_n.jpg

3. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under grey skies, but with the thermostat above 32 degrees for the first time this week, Slavia's U13s welcomed GKS Katowice, a second division team from neighboring Poland. Polish boys were big and fast, but were pretty much outmatched, defending for much of the game, which Slavia won 5-1. Son had one and should have had another when he rounded the goalie, but the ball got a bit away from him and he didn't score. Had a goal and assist for the day. Not too bad. Here's a few pics of him from the game.

|Son battles for the ball.
    DSC_0078.jpg
    .... and one more....
    DSC_0100.jpg

TxEx, Gacm32, UniversalAdvice and 3 others repped this.
  4. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The boys headed east to play FK Pardubice on Saturday. Pardubice are apparently putting money into the program, building a new stadium for the -- for now -- second division team and earning a reputation as having an up and coming academy drawing on boys from central Bohemia. Anyway, the team is leading their division as can be seen here: http://fkpardubice.cz/tym/U-13/. As for the game, probably closer than anyone thought. Slavia won it 4-1. Son had two and reportedly the opposing coach rated him the top player on the field today.

UniversalAdvice, appwrangler and Winoman repped this.
  5. Isnot it bloody cold to travel around now over there?

6. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Prague is further south than Berlin, so it's not really cold here, especially with all the wackiness with the weather lately. Although, after they played that game, a big snow storm came thru and blanketed much of the country. This morning it's minus eight Celsius. Brr... By the way, should have an update soon on the anticipation trip to Heerenveen. Should be all officially confirmed soon, or so I've been told.

7. :thumbsup:

PhillyFury repped this.
  8. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bet I shouldn't have made, but I'm glad I did. With a rare free weekend, (Czech spring holiday break is upon us), I headed out to one of the few open turf fields I know of in Prague. As my son warmed up, I threw him a tennis ball. As he started to juggle, getting a good groove going, I told him I'd give him the equivalent of $10 if he could juggle it at least 100 times. After he breeze by that, I upped the amount to $20 if he could get 200. When he got that, I said no more money, but told him to just keep going. In the end, he juggled the tennis ball 405 times. But I had also set one other condition. He had to rotate feet with each kick, which, he did. After this weekend lull, things are back to normal with a game on Wednesday against rivals Sparta; game on Saturday against Teplice and then next Tuesday they head out of Prague for a week of training which coincides with spring break for the district of Prague where the school is located: Prague 10. On the promo front, I've sent a video of his last game to the US scouting division. I've been in touch with them on and off over the past year. He's only a 2006 birth year, so it's still early. I doubt anything will come of it. But, at this point at least, he's played against some of the best teams in Europe, and held his own, including Bayern Munich(tie in Munich last spring 1-1), Ajax Amsterdam (beat them 1-0 at Dutch tourney last May), Feyenoord (big win 4-0 at same Dutch tourney) and on and on. So, competition-wise, hard to argue he's not coming up against some of the best. Problem is will US soccer see it that way...

UniversalAdvice, TxEx, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. When scouts see it, they will follow:)

10. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #160 PhillyFury, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    A lot of soccer this week; two games, practices, athletics, gymnastics....My son is probably drained, and it showed today. FK Teplice, a first division team from the north, bussed in this morning for a game at the U13 and U12 level. Both Slavia teams simply dominated with the U13s winning 16-0. And despite not having the best of games, son had three goals and two assists. Agent was there to watch and said he needs to improve his acceleration. I think he is just pooped. Anyway, here are a few photos from the game!
    DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0037 (1).jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Gacm32, dougtee, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  11. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the U13s are off for their annual week of spring training at a sports center about 40 miles east of Prague. Two training sessions a day, plus two games scheduled. From age of 11, the boys have these spring camps, along with the summer preseason one. Interesting game will be played on Saturday against Polish side Slask Wroclaw, a good side. Also got a bit of good news from the coach, who told us he will select our kid for a Czech select team that will play in a big tourney in Germany in May. It will be his first unofficial "cap" with the Czechs.

12. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Whatsup message came just after nine last night. The coach was sending out the "nomination" for today's game against Slask Wroclaw. To our relief, our son's name was there. The only one playing in this game and the earlier one this week at their training camp. That game against Hradec Kralove ended 3-1 with son bagging one. That was wonderful, but what was a bit worrying was the fact it was mostly.... b-team players. That are son was included made us wonder whether he had slipped down the pecking order given the information vacuum. That also came after the scout tracking him said he needs to up his acceleration game. That had me worried too. However, things apparently are good. One of the coaches, a Brit of all people, said our kid's doing well, especially absorbing what they want him to do on the field. Plus, my son got an odd Facebook message yesterday from another sports agent telling him to tell us, his parents, he "really wants to represent" him. Roller coaster of emotions this week. If you want to take the plunge into the topsy turvy world of youth soccer, you need nerves of steel or lots of bottles of booze....

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  13. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems the week of soccer training really paid off, if not leaving the boy a bit battered and blistered after so much play. The last game against Slatsk was a good one, a 4-3 win against the Ekstraklasa side. Two of the Polish team's goals came at the end when subs were brought in and there was a bit of a let up. Boy didn't figure among the scorers but was very solid anchoring the midfield. He and two other players were picked by the coach as "man of the match" standouts. With the new players being brought in, Slavia's U13s are suddenly much bigger and stronger in the back. Son no longer the giant out there. A few boys are nearly six feet tall, and one even looks like he's about to start shaving. Kid's about the only one from Prague still in the starting lineup. More fresh faces expected to be brought in in the summer. Constant pressure to either sink or swim...So far, he's holding his own. Next weekend, Zilina visits from Slovakia.In April, there are tourneys in Luxembourg and Croatia, plus Bristol comes to town for a game. Things always heat up around April-May-June as far as tourneys go....

Gacm32, UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  14. I wonder why Yank clubs donot join in the Christian Holidays tournements in the Netherlands. The only time I remember was the U16 or U17 USA team a couple of years ago.
    There are alot to choose from and most of the times foreign participants can stay with people volunteering as guest hosts.
    https://www.foooble.com/nl/voetbaltoernooien
    https://www.tvgsports.nl/en/dutch-tournaments/

15. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I remember two years ago, FC Dallas was at a tourney our boys were at in Germany, so that was U11 at the time. They didn't do well. I guess at the younger ages, Americans just don't want to travel the distance. I'm a Yank, and think most parents would probably be a bit wary. Plus, there's the travel cost of a round-trip transatlantic flight. That's not cheap. For our guys, they either bus or parents team up to take them. Heck, they even traveled more than 20 hours in a bus to Andorra. It probably took its toll on their play as well, as the first day they were pretty awful. Just slow and tired.....But you're right, the tourneys on offer are multitude and I can definitely see organizers wanting to lasso in a US team or two for promo reasons if no other....

16. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSK Zilina were in town this weekend to play Slavia and Sparta. We had them Saturday night under the lights at Eden. Slavia's U13s controlled the game, winning 3-0. Son had two helpers. Odd game. Coach barked a lot at him during the game, while two other assistants were upbeat, saying he had a strong game, especially switching play from one side of the field to another. So, don't know why the head guy was so critical of him....He said the first half was the strongest they've played all season. Zilina had most of its chances late in second half when son and a few other starters pulled. This weekend, boys head to Poznan for a game with Lech. Strong academy in Poland. Coach has told the parents that the game will be played in the bubble there at their training center, which is off limits to parents; so he told us it would probably make little sense making the five-hour car trek for the game. He's probably relieved by that....

17. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At seven in the morning on Saturday the boys boarded the bus for the six-hour ride to Poznan, for what the coach told them would be the toughest games of the season. After arriving at about three and settling in to their hotel, they walked to the Lech Poznan training ground for their first match against Polish titans, Legia Warsaw. The Poles were big, fast, and pretty technical. Slavia's U13s, however, outplayed them, winning 6-0, an impressive result. Son scored one, got taken down for a penalty on another, and had an assist. Played nearly entire game, which was two halfs, each 35 minutes. That's about the best indicator that the coach was pleased with his play, as other players can be rotated in and out at this age. On Sunday, it was Lech Poznan, the club where Robert Lewandowski got his start. Son said Lech really wasn't better than Legia, but they had a beast of a stopper who liquidated lots of Slavia's attacks. After a goalie mishap at the end, Slavia lost this one 2-1. Son, again played nearly entire game, hit the crossbar and the post, and said was exhausted when it was over. Finishing around three, they quickly showered, got back on the bus, and amidst a big storm with strong winds, they headed back to Prague, arriving here at about 11 last night. Good experience, against two very good teams. These are the type of matches that push the players to improve...

18. Indeed. Wonder if/how the academies of the mls clubs manage to get adequate competion matches for their pupils, because of the distances involved.

19. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beats me. Haven't lived there in over two decades. But you're right, the geography of the country makes it tough for the best teams to square off too often. But the level of play seems to be rising there, slowly but steadily. Even here, I wish they'd travel a bit more to play tougher teams. Red Bull Salzburg and Leipzig aren't too far away as are Bayern Munich, Nuremberg and Augsburg. Plus, Polish clubs not too far away either. Besides the struggle to find top competition, clubs with boys at the age of 12-13 have to deal with players who are coming of age, becoming more independent, and maybe not so keen to play soccer/practice day in, day out. A few boys on my son's team seem to have reached saturation point, even some who a few years ago were very good, and, more importantly, very enthusiastic. Now, hanging out after school, eating fast food, playing video games takes precedent. My son likes his Fortnite but still looks forward to playing, except for the 730 gymnastics practice on Friday mornings. Not a fan of that....

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  20. :D

PhillyFury repped this.
  21. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the camp at Heerenveen is on for April. Scout there told me today that he is looking forward to meeting us, although I don't plan to go. Firms dates should be coming soon. I'm probably more nervous than my son!

22. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting up for gymnastics at six twenty on Friday was a bit tough for all of us. The night before witnessed one of the most dramatic games I've ever seen live, along with many of the youth players from Slavia. It looked like Slavia let slip its chance to get through to the quarters of the Europa League after Sevilla scored deeped into extra time to take what seemed an insurmountable 3-2 lead. However, Slavia didn't quit, scoring one at the end of the first, and a second and winning goal just seconds before the final whistle to win 4-3. Absolute bedlam at the stadium and now Chelsea of all teams will be here in early April. Everyone is looking forward to that. Anyway, on the field on Sunday, Slavia's U13s hosted Viktoria Plzen, and after a nervous first half with Slavia down 2-1, the boys turned it up a notch, winning 7-2. Son scored three and looked strong on the ball as a central middy. Before the game, cleared with his coach the week at Heerenveen. He seemed okay with it is about the best way to describe it.

Gacm32, UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That ending against Sevilla was amazing as a neutral, so I can only imagine what it was like live with the fans. Do they give the youth players tickets to big matches?

UniversalAdvice and PhillyFury repped this.
  24. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States