Eric Lichaj at Fatih Karagümrük SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Forest is a club I'd like seeing back in the Premier soon. Very traditional, old blue-blood club. I watched them in their years of glory, late 70s-early 80s. A very fun team to watch in a time when most English clubs were playing rather formulaic footie. Anyway, I'm happy Eric is there, and doing well.

2. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Lichaj playing today. Doing well once again. Tim Ream and Danny Williams who look average at best in Championship get callups, but not Lichaj. #JurgenLogic

3. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Jurgen CALL HIM UP you damn stubborn fool. We don't have any RB backups for Brad Evans (the fact that Evans is the bonafide starter is something I don't agree with, but I am willing to accept). Parkhurst doesn't play, Chandler is Chandler, Cherundelo is injured. Stop taking your stupid pills and call Lichaj up.

4. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he completely balled out in the first half but I watched the second and he was poor. A handful of very dangerous giveaways, foul in a dangerous position (should have been booked for) and then a yellow (which would have been his second) near the end where he basically just grabbed a dude. Didn't see anything going forward either. Maybe it was fatigue or the heat but he was slow on the ball and slow to make decisions.

Doubt Klinsmann saw anything in today's game that would make him think Lichaj was a better option than Evans.

BimmerBenz95 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    It constitutes being a backup. I never said he should start. Parkhurst doesn't play. Lichaj's problem is reckless aggression. That can be tamed/disciplined on the USMNT.

6. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just responding to you saying "doing well one again."

I kept seeing and reading people talking him up so I decided to check it out for myself this morning. He was okay but nowhere near the praise he's received the last few weeks. Could have just been an off day.

I mean sure maybe he deserves a look but he's not a slam dunk option. And I'm not sure a national team camp is the place to correct playing issues like reckless aggression.

7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Lichaj got booked twice but wasn't sent off.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was their first dropped points of the season (and first goal against?)

9. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I just looked at the ESPN score/commentary. Says he got booked once in '87 however also had some fouls earlier in the match. The two bookings originated from Watford's commentary they probably got him mixed up with another Forest player.

10. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He clipped a guy right outside the box and should've been booked. It showed the ref with his hand going towards his pocket but never showed the yellow so I guess he decided against it.

11. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    So he got a yellow and had one below average half (apparently he had a very good first half) in his past 4 matches for a team that could very well get promoted. I'm still a fan of him getting a callup.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

13. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not against a call-up. But calling Klinsmann a damn stubborn fool if he doesn't call him up is a bit much to me, especially while at the same time, you're brushing off what Evans has accomplished in the last year as nothing. This is the Yanks Abroad forum so I'll stop here but I'm annoyed at some US fans' obsession with always wanting to find something newer and/or different than what we have, under the assumption that it's guaranteed to be an improvement. I actually saw somebody say "drop Dempsey for Johannsson" on a different thread FFS.

I'm actually planning on following more of the Championship this season so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Lichaj. I found a site that posts the Football League Review Show every Sunday so it makes it easier.

14. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    There's a need for a solid backup RB. Currently there is no solid backup RB. Thats all there is to it. If Parkhurst were playing, I wouldn't be emphatic about the need to call in Lichaj. That is reasonable.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 bungadiri, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Folks, please leave the national team discussion in the national team forum.

Yes, this is an arbitrary distinction to make, but we do make it and have been making it for many years. We have multiple threads to discuss Lichaj's exclusion from the USMNT in USA Men and the US News and Analysis forums, where it's perfectly logical to size up Lichaj againts Evans, Parkhurst, the 2010 version of 'dolo, etc. But the core function of this thread--tracking his club performances--quickly gets lost in the tide of national team-specific talk.

Deeneaus repped this.
  16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Glad to see him doing well and playing well. Kinda feel he should of been given more of a chance with Villa but he will her his shot back in the BPL with NF if they do her promoted which they should this years.

17. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not in the 18 today for the Capital One cup but he's just getting some rest I imagine.

18. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    According to Nottingham's Int'l release he has not been called up the the US

19. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started and went 90 in Forest's 2-1 loss to Wigan. I read that he played well again and had some nice crosses but he picked up another yellow card.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ckl26 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the fans nickname/chant for Lichaj?

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 Tom Collingsworth, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    There's a need for a solid starting RB too...

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    JK wants his inclusion of Lichaj to be a huge SHOCK.

23. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a different forum.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Off the field news, Lichaj married his long time girlfriend over the weekend.

25. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes this even better! ;)