Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morer?

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The House passed an anti-lynching bill 410-4. Justin Amash was one of the 4.

sitruc, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeap. Unconscionable.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read anything from him. Did he try to justify it as "not wanting to federalize more criminal law" ?? That's the usual libertarian argument.

charlie15 repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I dunno.

My understanding is that it was a bill to define lynchings as federal crimes, and AFAIK they already were, and the FBI pretty good at working them already.

I may be ignorant here, but it seems to me like one of those window dressing bills that may actually make life harder on those working against the phenomenon. Have we been experiencing a raft of lynching's that have been going uninvestigated and unpunished?

Moishe, Timon19 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    C'mon - we know why. Government overreach and States' Rights!

Republicans accused the legislation of being an overreach by the federal government and encroaching on states' rights. The legislation, if enacted, would add lynching to the list of current criminal civil rights violations.

"The Constitution specifies only a handful of federal crimes and leaves the rest to individual states to prosecute," Massie told Newsweek in a statement. "In addition, this bill expands current federal 'hate crime' laws. A crime is a crime, and all victims deserve equal justice. Adding enhanced penalties for 'hate' tends to endanger other liberties, such as freedom of speech."

Although Yoho said he'll continue to condemn the "horrific act of lynching" and advocate for perpetrators to receive the "harshest penalty under the law," the retiring congressman also felt the text took away too much power from states and was redundant.

https://www.newsweek.com/four-feder...aw-lynching-cite-government-overreach-1489313

charlie15 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to track down the link, but I heard an NPR story about this yesterday, and I'm pretty sure the Congressman interviewed said he was surprised to learn that lynching (per se) was actually not a federal crime.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're trying too hard. He's a libertarian.

sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is either there or not....If there is a new law to define it as such, it is likely not there. In any case, that was a shitty move.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But the resultant murder or attempted murder is though, isn't it? :cautious:

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Federal crime? well it seems that it is not, and it will continue to not be if the Senate does not take up the bill.

Not all murders are federal crimes.

https://www.wklaw.com/10-ways-murder-becomes-a-federal-crime/

Think about it like the EU, if you were a French citizen and you murder someone in France, who gets to put you on trial? the French government (at what ever level) of the EU government?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you asking a question?

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The Soros Supreme Court of World Lib'rulism, of course.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I suppose.

I'm just not clear what difference the method of murder makes.
    Well, asking for confirmation I suppose.

I assumed if somebody is killed then the state, at some level, has to charge them with it. What difference does it make whether it's by hanging, gunshot, knife or any other method.

Anyway, whatever!

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think within a historical context why the feds might have wanted to criminalize certain types of crimes regardless of whether the states had similar laws.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Byron de la Beckwith says hi from hell.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I get that aspect, (although I'd appreciate it if you just made a statement rather than asking a rhetorical question), but unless murder wasn't illegal in a state how does this make any difference?

But with reference to your point about the historical context, I could have seen the point in doing it in the past but, now?

I wouldn't go as far as calling it window dressing, (not least because I think signalling the complete rejection of of hate speech and action is very important), but, in some ways, it seems an odd time to be passing this sort of law, tbh.

But, obviously, everyone should have voted to pass it ad the few oddballs who didn't deserve all the shit I'm guessing they'll be getting.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    #3293 taosjohn, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Well, keep in mind the distinction between state and feds is real and sometimes meaningful.

The feds have been known to prosecute things the locals don't care about at all. Or approve of. And in the current climate there's apt to be new Sheriff Arpaios springing up here and there and anywhere.

xtomx repped this.
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, that is the context in which this makes sense -- the Mississippi Burning situation.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #3295 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    It was basically ceremonial. But I read it took over 100 years for Congress to make it a federal crime. So for many decades it was a pressing issue (or not, if you were a States Rights-er) in the US that wasn't addressed. How these 4 fvckwads could still vote against it is even more mind-boggling then

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who reared them? Who voted for them?

Find the answers and it won't be mind-boggling at all.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and russ repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this comment here shows you don't get it. Of course, murder was illegal in every state. But whether something is deemed a murder under state law is determined by state officials (charged, indicted, tried). Imagine that. The feds can't just criminalize murder as that's garden variety common law and thus for the states to control under our system of federalism. They have to tie it to some aspect of federal law. Lynching is more specifically characterized as an extra-judicial murder, usually on the basis of race or religion. So this bill tied lynching to a violation of civil rights, which is under federal jurisdiction.

I'm guessing a lot of minorities over the last few years, aren't sharing your confidence that this is only a relic of the past.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whaddaya mean? Racism is OVER! We elected a Black president, remember?

Oh, well, maybe racism was over...

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rand Paul voted against the coronavirus bill

sitruc, Cascarino's Pizzeria and dapip repped this.
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm sure he wants to let the market decide who lives and who dies.