Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is not crazy and it is true.

1) There are way more college educated people (as a percentage of the population) now than two generations ago.

2) Many are young and unemployed/underemployed.
    Think of the millions of millennials working in stores, bars, coffee stores named after Battlestar Galactica characters, offices, Best Buy, driving for "drive share" companies, etc. waiting for their "break" to come along.
    Not to mention the hundreds of thousands living in their parents' basements, playing PS4 all day and, perhaps, enjoy a bit of herb now and then.
    The vast majority have college degrees and the vast majority are loyal Democrats.

I am not all surprised that the percentage is 14.3%.

luftmensch repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only millennials and people who (hopefully) will be in better professional situations a few years from now. This would also include "low income" people with college degrees such as teachers and social workers and other professions that require education but don't pay as well as some other jobs.

xtomx repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. Professional do gooders are reliably Democratic (as well as mostly female).

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article as far as I can tell did not specify the income level of the lower income people.

The use the top 2 quartiles as defined by the link below (above 77K) for high income.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/household-income-quintiles

I am not sure if by low income they mean the bottom 3 quartiles (below 77K) or the bottom 2 quartiles (below 47K)

I think most teachers with a few years of experience are above 47K, at least in cities. The link below has starting salary by state, national average is 39K so that is above the 2nd quartile mean, but about 8K from the upper limit.

http://www.nea.org/home/2017-2018-average-starting-teacher-salary.html

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1191519589676572677 is not a valid tweet id

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well Trump's droopy ol' balls won't lick themselves

russ, dapip, chaski and 2 others repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1191783574921498624 is not a valid tweet id

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    At least Red & Dotard agree 100% on ME drone strikes, right?

dapip repped this.
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Beshear is governor, Matt Bevin is not, and hundreds of thousands of Kentuckians will keep their health insurance, because a Libertarian ran for the seat and took away 28,000 votes, and I'm willing to bet that most of those 28k would have voted for a Republican over a Democrat were there only two options.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why? Bevin is very unpopular. That is why he lost. You give us libertarians way to much credit. When the unpopular Democrat loses it is because of libertarians (boo libertarians are bad), when the unpopular Republican loses it is because of libertarians (hooray, libertarians are great).

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not a libertarian.

fatbastard and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Funny, since you once claimed the moniker. You are not a libertarian.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The only way to solve this is with PKs, gentlemen. Unless you prefer drone joysticks and best out of 10 takes the Libertarian label.

dapip and stanger repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you tweaking us liberals, or do you have data on this?

I don’t think Beshear is an existential threat to Kentucky democracy, so I’m not sure tweaking would be on point.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I miss the old days when if someone impugned your reputation you could simply challenge them to a duel at twenty paces (yes I am that old).

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Until the Republicans try to strip the governor of his powers, have sessions with no quorum, filibuster, vandalize, cheat and steal, like they have done in other states (WI and NC) come to mind.

fatbastard repped this.
  17. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    A Florida library wont carry the NY Times because its mean to Trump. That certainly qualifies as a librarian failure.

chaski, Funkfoot, russ and 6 others repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Au contraire, this has nothing to do with libertarianism, but your post certainly qualifies as a fail.

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What really annoys me about the grifters like Rand Paul is I am way more libertarian than those guys.

Now before Timon's head explodes, I actually came up under Thatcher Turbo Triple +++ Capitalism

Sweeping dereg, financial liberalisation, privatisation, user pays, slashing of the social safety net etc etc

Some of it was bad, but also some of it was really important reform.

As an entrepreneur who has started multiple businesses and hired a lot of people down the years I believe in free markets and hate crony capitalism.

Especially I am sick to death of my taxes subsidising the poverty wages paid by multi-billion pound businesses.

But yeah - i am not full muppet. I don't believe free markets are the right solution for all aspects of society. I believe in alternate distributive means like Universal Income. I believe new modes like the sharing economy / collaborative commons will continue to develop and become way less shit.

But all jokes aside I am just fed up with the frauds like Paul who are just crooks.

IMO fundamental to libertarian free markets is the rule of law must apply. When my dude is just rubber stamping crime and corruption in broad daylight he is just one more grifter.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    @Timon19 now both Jitty and Brummie are claiming the libertarian moniker. We do indeed live in interesting times.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read better.

xtomx and VFish repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    "We can't win anything, but since we spoil one of you guys all the time, you should pass some legislation we like"

1191922176225497088 is not a valid tweet id

ceezmad and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I came up in one of the most libertarian business environments of the time. I think NZ and if memory serves me, Estonia, were the shining lights of the deregulated market economy

We never finished our reforms. As the tradeoff for all of the user pays and loss of pensions etc, we were to enact a 21% flat tax

But then the devastating stock market crash of 1987 scuppered all progress.

Nevertheless we moved from a rigid economy with wage and price freeze and 66% top marginal rate to a fiercely competitive free market system.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky division of elections site is down, but once all the numbers are up I'll compare statewide and county totals in races that didn't have a Libertarian candidate to see how the vote percentages/roll-off broke down.

Assume I'm going to try to back up my argument.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Clever. These librarian jokes in the libertarian thread never get old.

Librarian or libertarian?:
    [​IMG]