Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Although, in fairness, EVERYONE knows that civil forfeiture is ridiculous and disgraceful, not to mention thoroughly unconstitutional. That's not really a "Libertarian" position as much as a "Say What?" position.

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone? I dunno. My guess is there are a significant number of "law and order" types who are fine (get it?) with it. But it's definitely an area where libertarian and most liberals' belief circles intersect in a Venn diagram sort of way.

crazypete13 repped this.
  3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've never heard anyone outside law enforcement say anything positive about civil forfeiture. I will be happy to see it gone, whoever gets the credit.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Excessive" meaning what?

That is, one worries that it might pull the teeth of "real" RICO impacts without protecting the really abusive cases, which are mostly smallish-- not sure that would be a true libertarian success?

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excessive will be defined on a case-by-case basis. And I'm of the opinion it will protect against the really abusive cases, like the Indiana case at issue. But the main issue is the fact that states can no longer argue that this aspect of the Eighth Amendment doesn't even apply to them.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, LE confiscated the man's car, and the car was worth much more than the fine for the offense.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rand Paul is going to Canada for hernia surgery.

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    "Rand Paul is not my libertarian and he is free to do what he pleases with his health".

Then move 3.4 ticks down and 5.2 to the left.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ironic, although not actually contradictory to his politics, since it's a private hospital.

VFish repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    KY doctors & hospitals "Why that motherf'er!"

charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They should pull his head outta his ass while they're in there

El Naranja, chaski, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Unless he's one of those who say the US has the best health care system in the world.

charlie15 repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is paying out of pocket for services rendered at a highly renowned private hospital. Please explain how this violates his libertarian principles?

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Reading comprehension much? If he is one of those who goes around saying that the US has the best healthcare system in the world (I don't know if he is because I don't pay any attention to this twat, but it is pretty standard GOP bullshit) it is a bit of a contradiction to leave the country to get a hernia fixed (pretty routine surgery). I never said it would violate "libertarian principles," which is just everybody can do whatever the hell they want.

A bit off topic, but we could have universal health care and private hospitals, too. Just like Canada. But tyranny.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Ouch, touchy much? Perhaps you should try decaf, all that caffeine can't be good for your health.

Even if he goes around praising the US healthcare system, which is completely different from our health insurance system, going to a Canadian hospital wouldn't be hypocritical. Since he is paying out of pocket, I am sure he can get the quality same quality care in Ontario and as he can in Louisville, but for much less money. What can be more libertarian than that?

As for your off topic, you can also have universal healthcare coverage without a single payer system, but … tyranny stupidity.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup. The current system is shit. But it's as good as it can get when one political party doesn't even view universal coverage as a worthy goal.

Auriaprottu, xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    And really going to Canada for his surgery is extremely libertarian. He has the money, he can go wherever he wants and get whatever he wants. His poor constituents? Screw 'em.

xtomx, Q*bert Jones III and charlie15 repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jokes aside, I think that's right, per his beliefs. It's not the government's responsibility to take care of people who can't help themselves. Rand figured out what he needed to do in life so that he didn't need to go begging. So should they.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Get born into a wealthy family????

fatbastard and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sure, that counts.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think the real question here is why would Rand prefer to pay out of pocket rather than use his gold plated Congressional health plan to get his hernia fixed?

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not to fear. Captain Rand Paul Jones is in charge up in heah.

Sen. Rand Paul strongly suggested that President Donald Trump is poised to begin scaling back the U.S. presence in Afghanistan and will follow through on his promise to pull out of Syria, the Kentucky Republican told reporters Wednesday.

Paul met with Trump privately and in a larger meeting with other senators on the president’s plans to wind down the U.S. presence in Syria. While Paul would not talk specifics of Trump’s plans, he said that the president recognizes “we’ve been at war too long and in too many places.”

Sweater vests & perms always instill such confidence.

download (4).jpeg

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/16/rand-paul-trump-syria-afghanistan-withdrawal-1106975

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Never Change, Randynov Paulovich, eh?

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He's fully aboard the Trump Traitor Train

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Weird world we live in where doves are pushing for prolonged military engagement.

stanger, Timon19, Moishe and 1 other person repped this.