Libertadores 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The referring I guess was "normal" for the Libertadores, meaning it wasn't good. I didn't care for the Vitinho sub. I think he could have came in for Arao, but we both know one of Abel's biggest flaws is not being aggresive enough. Para was absolute trash last night and probably the main factor in the loss. That's what happens when you start a player of his quality for over 2 years now.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea it was pretty bad and flamengo started getting pushed of the ball completely in the 2nd half . It was hard for flamengo to get out of their own half the whole 2nd half . I haven't seen them that passive in a long time

I see people blaming diego on the 1st goal. Very harsh imo .

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Atlético Mineiro out, Flamengo with 9 points in a competitive group and 1 match to go (at Peñarol, where the home team is 2 for 2 as a host).

Cruzeiro and Internacional through and as group winners; Palmeiras and Athletico Paranaense through and needing only a draw to win their groups; Grêmio needs at least a draw to advance.

I expect these 5 clubs to be in the round of 16. Some are saying they envision a Gre-Nal in the first knockout round.

Too bad there will be a gap due to the Copa América.

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    still not sure how gremio is going to make the last 16. incredible luck.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They're coming together at the right time, in part because Renato Portaluppi made some pivotal roster changes in the matches vs. Rosario Central and at Libertad. To win at Libertad isn't easy at the moment; Paraguayan clubs have been solid at least thus far in the group stage.

Grêmio will advance only as group runner-up should it draw with or defeat Universidad Católica. The Chileans need to win at all costs, and as such they're not going to sit back. Grêmio has the means to take advantage of this and I expect them to.

6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coming together???? They just got woodshedded by Santos at home with santos's three best players sitting on the bench until late in the second half.

Renato Gaucho is great no doubt , him being able to advance in the libertadores given their position before last rd is a magic act.

And libertad is legit, i agree. Only reason they looked bad last match was because they were resting recalde.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yes, coming together. Look at the starting XI for the first three matches in the group stage. The midfield to the front was composed by Romulo, Maicon; Luan, Marinho, Everto, Felipe Vizeu (and one match had a variation).

Starting with the match vs. Rosario Central at home, the team had Matheus Henrique, Jean Pyerre, and André Felipe as starters. The team has performed more fluidly and it has two straight Libertadores wins with an aggregate 5-1 scoreline.

The defeat to Santos was an eventuality. "Faz parte;" even the best teams sometimes lose. As well, Santos has been quite good under Jorge Sampaoli's direction; a very offensive team which goes forward and presents a lot of trouble to opponents. The second Santos goal, by Felipe Jonatan, was off a terrible error by Allison. Without that goal, the match ends 1-1 after Grêmio outshot Santos 25-8.

Not to mention Vanderlei being clutch in a late, close-range shot by Diego Tardelli.

Last but not least: I was referring to Grêmio's resurgence in Libertadores play. The 1-2 vs. Santos was a league match, but despite the result, Grêmio still played quite well. In a difficult and competitive tournament like the Campeonato Brasileiro, Grêmio looks like it is still a force to be reckoned with.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    rosario central is a complete mess.... come on now. Their group was a layup. Have to disagree with the game against Santos, It was quite easy for Santos up to the 70th minute , of course Gremio created chances while Santos was enjoying the spoils of a two nill lead and like I said with the 3 best players on the bench. Not taking anything away from Gremio but I don't think they are coming together. They have a great manager. Also looked terrible in the final of the gaucho against inter.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Rosario Central being a mess or not is irrelevant insofar Grêmio played a much better level of futebol during the match it won 3-1 than in the match it drew at Rosario Central 1-1, the home loss (0-1) vs. Libertad, and the away loss (0-1) at Universidad Católica.

"They are coming together" - not sure what your meaning of that phrase is. If you think it means Grêmio is turning into the second coming of the Brazil of 1970, then I guess not. But if it means that Grêmio is gelling and improving and evolving - which any good team with talented players in its roster and under a proven manager should do over time - then Grêmio is very much coming together.

In the Libertadores, at least. As I wrote before, a tie and they're in the round of 16. Of the 3 known group winners at the moment - Internacional, Cruzeiro, and Libertad - I think only Cruzeiro would be the favorite vs. Grêmio.

That said, I hope for no all-Brazil matchups in the round of 16. If that has to happen, let it start in the quarterfinals.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fla missing opportunity after opportunity. I’ve seen this before. They’ll concede a trash goal.

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i know flamengo is a lot better team but after the red card i was shocked by the lack of response / plan from penarol. credit to flamengo for sure but that was poor from penarol.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Liderança não Scarpa ... @V_Park

:ROFLMAO:

V_Park repped this.
  13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They let us off the hook for sure after the red card. Flamengo always gets a player sent off on the road in Uruguay. All the ingredients for another choke job was on display last night.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Athletico Paranense GARFADO. Boca Juniors with an offside goal and a descaradamente, blatant ball/hand contact not resulting in a PK for Athletico.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Godoy Cruz ... sweet ... I think.

Flamengo x Emeleclecleclec

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Palmeiras , Gremio, Flamengo, Inter all on the same side of the bracket. Could be a Palmeiras x Gremio .... Flamengo x Inter QF.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's the first thing I thought - that side of the bracket could become a "Copa do Brasil" quarterfinals. Will be interesting.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PQP Libertadores :mad:

Se perder dessa porra de Godoy Cruz carros irão queimar.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow Morro Garcia still exists. To think he scored against Fla many years ago....

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ugh ... gotta score at least 1.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Crazy 1st half. Pulled one back and Weverton saved a PK. Take that as a gift.

Play wasn't bad but shooting has been awful.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Golaço Borja ... makes it 2 x 2.

Borja não joga tão bem assim desde ... nunca ! :ROFLMAO:

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    O teu time ganha facilmente em São Paulo. Esse time do Godoy Cruz é esforçado, mas claramente inferior ao Palmeiras.

Já o Cruzeiro, não sei. O River Plate dominou o primeiro tempo e o Cruzeiro foi muito rabudo com aquele pênalti no finalzinho.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo digging themselves a whole. Bad result specially being a man up.

Boca sticking it to a Brazilian team yet again.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Diego might have a broken ankle.