Libertadores 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by celito, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Good job by Botafogo in defeating (and ousting) the defending champions Atl. Nacional. They are in the round of 16.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo is the team that has most failed to get out of the group stage in the history of Libertadores.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's unfortunate, because they have a very good roster and destroyed CASLA 4-0 in Rio. But they played too defensively and CASLA had no choice but to attack.

Granted, many times, scoring once and then staying back on defense works. But that requires a defensive position that can quickly switch into a counterattack. Flamengo did not do this.

Botafogo on the other hand has been bold. Even after being up 1-0 it went forward, and it was duly rewarded. A time cascudo this Botafogo... not too deep, but cascudo. Colo Colo, Olimpia, and now Atl.-Nacional have fallen victims (with the last team losing at home too).

It remains to be seen whether Botafogo can finish the group as the winner, although that'd also require Barcelona to draw or to lose at Atl.-Nacional next week. Estudiantes is also out now, but I wouldn't expect them not to go for a win to leave the tournament on a good note. A win in La Plata would only add to Botafogo's confidence come the round of 16.

Incidentally, I don't like this draw thing. Must we copy Europe even with the Libertadores bracket? I preferred the old system as it was strictly based on performance. Anybody wanna bet we'll have at least one Brazilian team vs. Brazilian team round of 16 matchup?

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #104 Mengão86, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Prass falhou.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A blooper... but Palmeiras wins it 3-1. Gotta give it to Zé Roberto... many have retired younger than he is and he still keeps very fit and plays decently.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Went out there to get a tie from the start. Hate that tactic. Away goals are important. Deflected goal at the end was a bit unlucky, but it was bound to happen when you give the other team so much space. Deserved to lose.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How many times have Palmeiras won in similar fashion? :p

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Hope you guys have had a good summer so far (and winter if you're in Brazil). SPFC needs major restructuring and it irks me that they have not done so for a while, while other teams prosper. My only hope is that with Hernanes back and Dorival Jr. as manager, that we will escape relegation.

Looking at the Campeonato Brasileiro, Copa do Brasil, and Libertadores, it's difficult for me not to look at Grêmio and think that this team is the next big thing. While I will grudgingly acknowledge Corinthians to be the likeliest candidate for the national title this year, Grêmio defeated a good Atlético Paranaense with a global 7-2 score and defeated Godoy Cruz 0-1 in the Libertadores' oitavas-de-final. Granted, Godoy Cruz isn't a timaço, but Grêmio kept a clean sheet and had no players ejected. And Grêmio is very much a candidate for the Campeonato Brasileiro.

This team has been doing well under Renato Gaúcho. I would not be surprised if they reach their 6th Copa do Brasil title, and I expect them to be in the quarterfinals of the Libertadores.

I think Santos, too, is going to be a team to be reckoned with this year. As for Palmeiras, I frankly expected more of them, given how much this team spent on its roster. I can totally see them overcoming their defeat to Barcelona de Guayaquil, but if they flounder in the Libertadores, they'll only have the Campeonato Brasileiro to salvage the year - and Santos, Corinthians, Flamengo, and Grêmio are ahead of them at the moment.

It's weird to be talking about the Libertadores' round of 16 with August a few days away. But possible confrontations such as Santos/Atlético Paranaense vs. Palmeiras and Botafogo vs. Grêmio are definitely going to be worth watching.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gremio are through nicely to the final 8.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No tactics, just a bunch of player trying hard like headless chickens trying to solve things by themselves. The number of stupid passes being played is just mind boggling.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't believe Barcelona left themselves that open on the counter.

Moises makes it 1 x 0.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Grêmio wins and advances. Palmeiras and Atl.-MG win and draw respectively but it's not enough.

Hopefully Santos or Atl.-PR and Botafogo will do their part tomorrow.

13. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    River Plate vs Gremio final???? Thats gonna be lit.

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    well... just as we won 3-0 at Ecuador, nothing means Barcelona can´t do the same in Porto Alegre. We must not make mistakes. It's 10 years since our last final and 21 years since our last Libertadores title.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You're being realistic and humble, because no one wins before playing. But I strongly suspect Grêmio will reach the final.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As long as they don't pull a Fla when they played America in the knockout of the Libertadores 9 years ago, they should be fine. But if most Gremio fans share the same mentality that AcesHigh has, that'll rub off in a positive way on the team.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yes, I personally expect Grêmio to hold it together and advance.

On a different note - Renato Gaúcho has done a good job with this team. Granted, the team fell in production, but with one excellent game, the press is saying Grêmio has recovered the great soccer it was playing months ago. I wonder if Renato Gaúcho will be the next big name Brazilian manager.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gremio will be fine.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quick poll ... which would you rather your club win:

Libertadores or Brasileirao

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Libs.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will go with the Brasileirão. I feel the Libertadores is a challenge, but there is no feel you're the best team in the continent. Plus, after UEFA started attracting all the top talent in SA (at younger and younger ages), the CWC has lost any appeal that it used to have where you were comparing the best talent of each continent ... well back then just SA and Europe with the Intercontinental Cup.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Congrats to @AcesHigh on the win. It’s been a long time waiting for a big title and you’ve won one of the biggest again. I’m happy for Renato. How he has won it once and been the runner up as coach. Not bad.

Century's Best repped this.
  23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

I wrote this 4 months ago.

@AcesHigh I wonder how bad your ressaca is. :D

And regardless of Grêmio's results in the Club World Cup, what do you hope for re: team management to keep the team competitive for what will be an attempt for a fourth Libertadores title?

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As shaky as Real Madrid are right now, I could see an upset ... if Gremio make it to the final that is. :D

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Regardless of Grêmio's performance, what will be interesting is the transition from Libertadores to CWC with this new format. From decades of the winner waiting from June to December, the winner now has a few days (given Grêmio players are likely taking 2-3 days off to rest before the team gets back together and the delegation packs and flies out). At the very least, team chemistry won't be harmed.

Wydad Casablanca and Urawa Red Diamonds earned their berths in the CWC on 11/4 and 11/25 respectively, for context.

Real Madrid alone is the only significant participant whose berth was earned several months ago.