Libertadores 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Mengão86, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's hard for me to judge bauza fairly because he was a disaster in the paulista, those experiments with Carlinhos/Bruno on the wing with talent on the bench was pretty infuriating. I thought it took him way to long to figure out his volante situation and back 4 but he has obviously figured it out now. I just have to say maikon and Ganso have been amazing , maikons form has been the most important factor to Sao paolo's libertadores run. I think bauza is better than Osorio but I'm still not on the bandwagon. For a team with a really good CB and a defensive posture I still question their ability to defend. A lot of people blame the gk position but tactics play a role.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How defensive did Aguirre send out atletico in the first leg? I only saw the second leg

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    More defensive. Played three volantes -- Urso, Donizete and Carioca.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Which makes no sense... they had to score. Aguirre also took out Carlos for Carlos Eduardo; the former had been very active in the first half. However much they pressed, they didn't the first half's momentum.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He was referring to the first game in SP. But yes, I was also puzzled by that substitution last night.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Ah, I see.

Do you personally believe Maicon is the best zagueiro playing in Brazil? Some say he is. He did definitely make the backline solid (the first atleticano goal was partly bad luck as the ball rebounded off Denis' feet).

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I need to see more before I say he's the best CB. He's probably the most in-form CB at the moment. Does his contract extend past June?

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Unfortunately, no. Porto owns his rights, I believe - and that means SPFC now must scramble to keep him for the semifinals.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PVC – Como você vê hoje a diferença num confronto Brasil e Colômbia? Como é a diferença hoje?

MATURANA – Não há mais diferença. No passado, sim. Hoje, especialmente em jogos de seleções, num dia ganha um, em outro dia ganha o outro. Há um equilíbrio absoluto e não há mais favoritos. Acho que isto também pode ser representado no confronto de hoje, entre São Paulo e Atlético Nacional.

I hope SPFC can show their coach otherwise @Century's Best

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oooooops ...

I guess São Paulo wasn't really expected to be in the SF. I doubt they can revert this result.

Sorry @Century's Best

11. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    That game was tough. They were the better team until an idiotic move made the team collapse. I was surprised they were still pushing forward after the red, then they conceded and fell apart.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not to mention that they are heavily reliant on Ganso to create opportunities. They just bombarded the box with crosses all night. No creativity.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Maicon blew it for the team. With him on the field, SPFC was relatively secure and a 0-0 draw would've been feasible. Now, São Paulo will have to play a perfect game on hostile soil, against a very good team which soundly defeated the supposedly best team from Argentina (Rosario Central) 3-1.

You may well be right, Celito...