Libertadores 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Mengão86, Dec 23, 2015.

1. voltaje

voltaje New Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    São Paulo x Toluca, Atlético-MG x Racing, Grêmio x Rosario Central, Corinthians x Nacional.
    Atlético was the best brazilian team at Libertadores until now but got the hardest adversary. Anyway can see Atlético and Corinthians going further. For São Paulo it was already really hard to go through the groups phase and, without Calleri (red card) who's being the most important player of the team and with an interrogation for the goalkeeper position as Denis also got a red card and the supplent keeper is recovering of an appendicitis surgery, the situation seems more complicated.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Idk why the atletico fans are celebrating so much. Sure, they got the better of racing but it was nill nill.. In the last 3 years nill nill is a pretty decdnt/favorable result at home, since you can sucker punch with an away goal on the 2nd leg.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Another mediocre night for Brazilians.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Só deu pra assistir Racing x Atlético Mineiro, e até que o Galo jogou bem. O Robinho deu dois passes muito bons mas o Pratto e o outro jogador (esqueci do nome dele) não aproveitaram. Acho que em BH, o Galo consegue.

Do que li do jogo do Grêmio, o Grêmio nem jogou. Agora vai ter muito trabalho na Argentina.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Indeed. But based on performance alone, Atlético Mineiro actually could have won its match. Assuming you watched Grêmio's and Corinthians' matches, can the same be said for them? Corinthians will at least have the chance of winning on home ground (and to thus exorcise the Guarani ghost of 2015). Grêmio however will face a terribly hostile crowd on top of having to score two goals and to suffer none.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tonight, São Paulo hosts Toluca, who won its group and who has proven to be a very tough team. We’ve had tons of instability for more than 1 year now, and tonight we will not have Calleri (this tournament’s top scorer thus far).

Corinthians and Atlético Mineiro got nothing beyond 0-0 draws as visitors and Grêmio lost 0-1 at home. Hopefully, São Paulo will win tonight so that Brazilian soccer has at least 1 win in the first leg of the oitavas-de-final. We absolutely must win tonight as Toluca has home field advantage.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How bad was corinthians tho ? I didn't watch the late games because I was watching the copa nordeste.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The only game I managed to watch was Racing vs. Atlético Mineiro. Based on the post-game reports I read, Corinthians didn't play all too well, but nowhere as poorly as Grêmio. I read newspapers from Porto Alegre and all said that Grêmio was absolutely unrecognizable.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Got outplayed for most of the match, especially the first half. Real sloppy game from them in transition from defense to attack.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    "Atuação de gala" by São Paulo, which I honestly did not expect. It is true Toluca was missing several players, but São Paulo did its job and won with absolute justice and incontestable superiority. I don't remember the last time I saw my team play with such intensity, focus, and solid teamwork. We didn't even miss Calleri and Centurión (of all players) scored two goals.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    São Paulo and Atlético Mineiro advance to the quarterfinals and reprise the 2013 matchup after eliminating Toluca and Racing respectively.

Corinthians had a PK in the 2nd half which André missed in the most pathetic fashion ever. He simply passed the ball to the keeper. That Corinthians tied it at the end (PK) simply meant it didn't lose - but for the second straight year, it's been eliminated at home. At least this year it fell against a former Libertadores champion, a team with tradition in this tournament.

Grêmio has a very tough task tomorrow at Rosario Central. I don't expect them to succeed, but if they do... you never know.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Congrats to São Paulo ! That's already a great accomplishment for a team in such turmoil.

Curinthia ... What can I say ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The amount of PKs they have missed this year is just poetic.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Você que é palmeirense deve ter vibrado. Ainda mais porque o seu time eliminou o Corinthians em Itaquera ano passado e porque os caras perderam mais um pênalti.

Não estamos em “turmoil…” somos um time em processo de amadurecimento, mas considerando-se tudo, até que as coisas melhoraram desde o início da Libertadores.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gremio laying an egg.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flamengo-esque performance by Gremio.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    My memories of the better Grêmio in Libertadores past was in 2002, when it vanquished River Plate in Porto Alegre and Buenos Aires, and was on the cusp of winning it all. It went far in 2007, but fell quite short in the finals.

It's odd that a team as historically successful as Grêmio has gone through such a long drought - and that tonight, a team that did rather well in the group stage just collapsed like a deck of cards.

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Surely you weren't expecting much more with last year's squad picked apart.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Andre was a brain aneurysm away from the total opposite.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm hearing a lot of talk this morning about Brazilian clubs falling behind and all that but in reality the rosters in Brazil are much better and there isn't a gap in managers like some people say. The big difference why Brazilian clubs always struggle with Argentinian , Uruguayan, and Paraguayan clubs is because they actually put the ball into the box. Brazilian cbs aren't used to the barrage even though they are better in the air by a far margin in most cases because they simply don't face it domestically. Even serie d teams in the brazil play the same way serie a teams play, there are a few exceptions especially from serie a clubs in Santa Catarina but not much. Look at Leicester , they clear the ball in defense and they don't try to play out of the back and they put the ball into the box. Putting the ball into the box opens up more space for meias too which Brazilian teams are reliant on. You just aren't going to play through teams in the libertadores all the time, the physicality makes it impossible

21. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And as a domestic fan I enjoy the slow build up and technical showcases but it backfires in the libertadores

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who's to say you would have had the second PK if he converted? You get what you pay for basically. No one is going to do much relying on André and Guilherme for goals. André has proven to be a small club player IMO.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I have no idea why you posted this eyes-rolling emoticon. Corinthians has enough talent to defeat Nacional, but André's horrible PK encapsulated your team's round of 16 performance.

Hopefully your team will rebuild and perform well in the Campeonato Brasileiro.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Im rolling my eyes at the way Corinthians lost the tie. It was agonizing even though Corinthians was playing bad. It was borderline a typical Corinthians game.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Given you approach the game from a tactical perspective, how would you rate Edgardo Bauza's work so far?

When São Paulo hired him, I didn't think much, as we'd lost Osorio months earlier and as the team had gone through a long period of instability.

I remember his 2008 Liga de Quito and 2014 San Lorenzo as tactically disciplined squads (especially the latter - it was sometimes an irritating team to watch). São Paulo definitely has talented players, but I'm quite pleased with how Bauza has "arrumado" the team. This São Paulo generally doesn't play pretty soccer (minus some of those flashy triangulations as seen during the 6-0 vs. Toluca), but it is tactically focused.

I noticed that São Paulo players have been more defensively careful, and that when we don't have possession, the team marks a lot more intensely. That's definitely Bauza-esque.