Libertadores 2008: Draw and qualified teams

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Mengão86, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?! This is madness I didnt know Concacaf or the mexican league had the power to do that.

2. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate

If this is true, this just devalued the Copa Libertadores.:mad: Freakin MLS clubs can't even win their coveted CONCACAF Champion's Cup.:eek: What makes CONCACAF think they can compete with the likes of the Boca's, River's, Sao Paolo's, Colo Colo's, and so on??

3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    But that's like saying that because Venezuelan, Bolivian, Peruvian and Ecuadorian teams haven't won the CL they should not even compete in it?

If the Mexicans get their shot, I don't see why the Americans shouldn't. :)

Metro

4. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll be angry about whatever I'll be angry about.

Potential cash? These idiots are happy if they break even after a season.

5. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    They should change the name of this tournament. Its already bastardize.

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Mexicans did not get their shot. They had to earn it.

Clubs had to pay $1 M usd each to play against their Venezulean counterparts and that still did not secure them a berth to the Copa Libertadores.

Personally, I dont think MLS should be handed a berth to the CL. I think they should earn it.

------------------

Futgod,

you misquoted what was said on futbol Picante. David Faitelson did not say MLS was going to participate. He said he heard some some sources that SUM (Soccer United Marketing) was trying to negotiate Mexico's 3rd slot.

SUM is a sports entertainment company. They have no power as to who can go.

7. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol your right, hey while we're at it lets invite a team from Asia too :rolleyes:

8. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wish we played in europe instead of southamerica. :(

9. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    no creo.

Como dice bosterosoy, para clubes y torneos organizados por la CONMEBOL "todavia" se va a poder. Esto q los clubes si pueden pero las selecciones no, hacen ver mucho mas ridicula esta norma de la FIFA.
    http://www.peru.com/futbol/AutoNoticias/Eliminatorias2010/2008/01/12/DetalleNoticia99380.asp

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed. I don't think Mexican or US-American teams belong, but since Mexican teams in the CL are a reality its only fair to have an MLS team too.

11. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    if this is true, i think its great, the only way mls teams can get better is if they test themselves against some of the best teams around. this could also attract more south/central american stars to the mls.:)

12. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One of the worst "journalist" in Mexico came up with the story.

A guy who is known for extending the truth

for exaggerating every little detail

and for making up stories.

For instance what power does SUM have to make that decision?

Are they Conmebol? Concacaf? Mexican Federation?

NO, they just organize and promote games in the US.

I'm sure they want to have MLS in the Libertadores and it might happen in the near future. But I'd be worried if I were in the Bolivian or Venezuelan federations, those are the teams that might have to give up a place.

Because $$$$$$$ rules in Conmebol

13. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You are correct i did hear wrong and I apologize for my mistake. Here's part of an article i found written by Faitelson that talks about this. Its not a done deal but its being worked on and apperantly Conmebol is a big fan of this.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i hope you're right

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    POR QUE NO? a nadie le gustan las fechas del interliga (caso pumas/ferreti) - les deberian dar un cupo a un MLSer por buen dinero para los mexies y que pelen a punta de goles.

asi recuperan la inversion con la federacion venezolana cuando pagaban 1millon por el partido de repechaje

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    $$$ for the CONMEBOL, to the expenses of having teams like, for example U. de Chile, going to New Jersey to face a 2nd class team of the MLS and hand their ass at them 4-0, which would turn those travels in a big waste of time.

And that the americans "deserve" it, c'mon get real.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is there any other good reason besides money? But like I said, better to have both FMF and MLS invited than just one. They've already tainted the CL with Mexican clubs, might as well bring an MLS club in for even more money at this point.

18. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    so picky....who cares man, bring in USA and Japan if they have the money...this tourney has been 'bastardized' a long time ago, CONMEBOL might as well make a profit out this...

19. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    yeah, well the mexican teams should get the hell out of conmebol, unless there's one big cup for the americas. i dont see many japanese teams playing in uefa competitions. really think they should make one big tournament for all of the americas, never will happen though

20. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Totally agreed.

At this point i think would "begin" to make sense if CONMEBOL and CONCACAF merged, while i don't completely like the idea.

21. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Japan playing in EUFA is not the same as mexico playing in Conmebol. Mexico is in the same Continent as Argentina and the others. In the US they teach theres 7 continents and count the Americas as two but in Mexico they count it as one, and teach theres only 5. Is this also tought in South America, if thats the case we are all part of the same continent anyways.

22. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i want to know who's the president of EUFA!

23. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    another thing i think you're wrong, we all know there's 7 continents!

south america
    north america
    africa (mama!)
    asia (cochito mare!)
    europe
    oceania/australia
    antartica

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Huh? :confused:
    You mean Australia playing in Asia, perhaps? :eek:

Metro

25. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It depends on which country you are educated in.

In the US they decided to make it 7 continents around the 1850s. They separated North and South America because of modern plate tectonics. In Latin America schools this was not the case since it was viewed that America was a single landmass.

If we are going by plate tectonics then yes North and South America should be separated.

However, in the US we are taught that Europe and Asia are different continents which is wrong if we are going to base the continent model on plate tectonics. Since Europe and Asia share the same continental plate.

Thus the 7 continent model would be wrong? And the model should be 6, right?

Well, no.

Because then there are smaller plates like Arabian and Phillipine plates, etc.

Which ones would we count?

Should we count all of them?

At the end of the day, countries decide what they will teach their students in the classroom.

In the US, Canada, India, and China and many Western European countries they use the 7 continent model.

In most of Latin America, Portugual, Spain, Italy, and Israel they teach that America is one single continent.

Russia prefers to teach that Europe and Asia are one single continent Eurasia.

So to answer your question no not everyone knows there are 7 continents.
    Just like people in the US don't know that other countries teach their kids differently.

As far as the futbol discussion is concerned, when will you guys stop bitching about the participation of Mexican clubs or the national team.

We get it

You don't like it, but there is nothing you guys could do already.

Its futile to even discuss this again.