Lewis to Preston (NO, REALLY)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 29, 2002.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    not to throw more fuel on an already long-raging fire, but the one aspect of the "Tigana's a jerk" argument I never understood is that Bruce had/could have had Eddie for a number of games where he didn't play Eddie either ( Cuba, Italy (ok, 10 minutes), Holland (ok, 3 minutes), and even Mexico and Honduras, I think. He also only played him for half the Jamaica blowout and half the Ireland game.

None of which is to say Tigana isn't a jerk. I don't know the guy from Adam, but it certainly would have been more sporting to let Eddie play Richmond and Uruguay if he'd wanted, and clearly Tigana had no concern for Lewis or his career, but it seems a bit hyperbolic to suggest that missing that one week of camp and two friendlies (actually a scrimage and frienldy) after Bruce had seen Lewis in 7 games, and decided he did not need to see him in 3 to 5 others was due to Tigana trying to ruin Eddie's career. I mean, the guy had already done that.

2. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That's pretty much why it's baffling. It was over for Lewis already, "Why then?" The damage was done. It's probably a combination of things, from what you I and Dark Knight + a few others suggest. Taking the personal side out of it, it is a business. BUt in retrospect, it's hard to believe that there weren't other players available - especially when Lewis hardly had a shot to begin with.

To be a fly on the wall of that conversation, huh?

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I don't get. I thought players were allowed one transfer on their original permit, without reapplying?

4. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

I think I read somewhere, maybe from Chris Bergin, that the one transfer rule was scrapped.

5. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    The work Permit rules are at www.workpermits.gov.uk.

The rules don't clearly state the 75% rule or one move but seem to leave it up to a committee.

Any Labor Lawyers here?

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Lewis the only guy that Arena had to look at? Not surprisingly, Arena prioritized playing time during the official international friendly dates for those players who actually played for their club side and who had conflicts showing up for the Gold Cup and other friendlies. Arena not surprisingly thought he could have Lewis any time he wanted and planned accordingly.

7. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  8. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Side note: Preston plays Scunthorpe in the first round of the Worthington Cup, not Fulham.

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Eddie.

I guess I missed it in the mist of all the "tiggy is an ass" talk, but how does Lewis figure to fit in to Brown's plans. I would guess he will eventually start on the left, after coming off the bench for a few games.

Who is his competition for PT?

I remember Brown saying he likes Eddie's versitility which one would think bodes well for his chances.

10. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    He's straight into the starting 11. Preston really doesn't have an out-and-out left sided mid.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FREE LIST

[x] Eddie Lewis
    [ ] Mumia Abu-Jamal
    [ ] Julia Roberts

12. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Preston play at 4th place Wolves Sunday.

PNE don't appear to have match audio or text on their site, although they do have decent match reports. I couldn't find anything to follow the match live on the Wolves' site either.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie

Things I learned from the PNE web site:

Eddie will wear no. 17.

Eddie weighs 11 stone, 2 pounds.

I have decided to list my wieght in stones and pounds from now on. No matter how heavy I get, the number fo stones will stay low. I like that.

14. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    PNE has a pay service called White's World which has live commentary.

I was hoping you would spring for the £35.00 and then post the PBP.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    except that the Holland game was after the Richmond/Uruguay missed week of camp and Lewis played 7 minutes. And it didn't really seem to hurt Lewis' time in the WC at all. Again, it was perhaps pissy of Tigana to not release Lewis, but the idea that it was intentional sabotage seems far-fetched. If Tigana really wanted to screw Eddie Lewis he could have sat him for 1st team and reserve matches or any number of other really nasty bits of abuse that are available to managment. I think it's much more likely that Tigana only thought about Lewis when absolutely neccessary and thought "cripes, Al F pays this guy for two years, he's all over my arse for spending so much money, the least Eddie can do is show up for one stinking game." If Tigana game more than a moments thought to the decision, when he was rumoured on the firing line etc., I'd be very surprised.

Let's hope he kicks some butt at PNE. Eddie is a very servicable winger, but is pretty one-dimensional in his game. A team that plays to his strenght he will help. Unless PNE has been vastly reconfigured since the McBride days (last time I followed their play much) Lewis should be able to contribute.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well what helped Lewis' playing time at the World Cup was that Arena decided for tactical reasons that he wanted to use a 3-5-2 with a left wingback and the other possibility got hurt. I would venture a guess that those were two events that Arena was not banking on when he complained about Tigana not releasing Lewis.

As for Tigana's actions, you put forth a plausible theory. I am still bothered that Tigana finally decided to require Eddie Lewis' services right at the time when it appeared Lewis had finally raised his game from the depths and was in line to fight for playing time at the World Cup. But, I guess that the out to get Lewis theory I put forth is much less plausible. However, I don't blame Arena for going ballistic either.

As for Lewis' game, I think that while he lacks the subtleness of Beasley, he is a very talented player. While he often goes to the endline and cross, I have seen him cut into the middle and do good things as well. For me, Lewis has EPL-level talent, though maybe not for a team hunting for place in Europe like Fullham. We shall see how he does at PNE.

17. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Now that is comedy! :D

18. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Ananova

19. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Amen.

He overcame, someday.

20. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Re: It's Official

Great statement by the club for Eddie's "services"...

...which i guess meant keeping the pine warm for a couple of years until someone else showed up.