Levi's Ad - STOP IT

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Father Ted, Aug 31, 2011.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    After a few days I check back and the first thing I HEAR ARE THE YELLING ADs.

I'll check back in a few more days.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - the problem was that I saw this thread late because we changed the way our help desk functions and I'd been relying on new thread notifications for new issues. And sometimes I just miss them. Not a great excuse, but I hadn't seen it until I responded in the thread - which was sort of the point I was making about how we aren't always able to get things as quickly as we would of course like.

Unfortunately - Huss manages the ads and given the holiday weekend and that I saw it late has delayed it further - I'll follow up with him but because I'm not directly involved, I can't give a time frame. If I had seen it immediately and contacted him, he likely would have responded already.

But - it makes it harder to surf when you are work if you aren't sure when your computer is going to start playing an audio so hopefully we can get this sorted quickly. It's part of the reason I don't like ESPN.com because no matter how many times I click it, it seems to keep defaulting to autoplay video.

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Bravo.

If user response results in BS shutting down, BS should look in the mirror to understand why, and not blame the customers.

4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Sigh - I really made a mess of this one.

Guys - I screwed up by not seeing this thread sooner and I have only made it worse with my comments - let me see what I can do to get this sorted asap because we don't want this noise while at work.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Isn't it more than one ad though? I think I've seen an Olive Garden one but not sure I've seen the Levis one.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I haven't seen the Levi one, but the Olive Garden one pops up all of the time. I don't mind ads or even the roll over pop ups (although they can be annoying) but the Olive garden one (and the Levi one I assume) is just over the top bad.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's the OleTeve ad square. Mostly seen on the Home/Blogs page and possibly on MyBigSoccer. Silent video from them runs in the flowplayer. When it gets to the ad (Olive Garden, Citi, Levi's for sure) the sound turns on and does not offer an option to turn off.

Thx,

Jay!

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a bunch of them, and they seem to be on a loop. Go to http://ad.simbiotico.com to see them

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The Olive Garden ad is incredibly annoying, BUT, this site is awesome and it won't stop me from visiting.

10. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I commented a few days ago that the ads were "intrusive and rude", since then they have actually gotten worse.Before the the ads just rolled the first time the "flowplayer" loaded on a visit.Now the ads role every page the flowplayer is on.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume there are agreements with the ad companies which bar the audio ads.

But funny enough the ad companies seem to always "forget" them on 3 day weekends where it take longer to correct. IIRC, not the first time this has happened here.....

12. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I kept getting a slightly different version of this ad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtMcoafUHw"]212 VIP MEN - The Film - YouTube[/ame]

Annoying song. :mad:

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let me know if you see the ad.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turned AdBlock off, and the ad seems to be gone.

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's gone for me.:)

16. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gone. Thanks for taking care of it.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank you thank you thank you.

18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Belated thanks from me as well.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK, we've got a new annoying ad, the Marine Corps ad that is the width of a thread. If you roll your cursor over the ad, the ad plays, which for me is fairly frequently. You can close the ad easily enough, but to move your cursor around the ad and then onto the threads is a pain....

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let me see if I can get it, but unfortunately - these qualify as user activated ads and likely are within the parameters of what we allow.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let me see if I can get it, but unfortunately - these sound like they qualify as user activated ads and likely are within the parameters of what we allow.

22. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Major League Soccer Soccer Dot Com also has them. That settles it, I'm not joining the Marines.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Seems like there are three Marines ads.

One that rotates banners for a hispanic heritage motif that takes no user input.

One that has a "click here" option for more information.

One that says "rollover for more". Problem with this one is that it tends to be right underneath your cursor when you switch pages using a "my big soccer" or forum link. It automatically starts up when the page loads because of where you have to position your cursor to change pages. This seems to violate the spirit of the "user activated" rule, considering we were never given the chance to activate it. Options one and two are much more acceptable.

Thx,

Jay!

24. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I understand that the ad companies will always try to bend your allowances to the fullest, but...

If your reaction to a really annoying ad is, "unfortunately, we allow that type of ad," you can hardly blame people for turning to blocking software. The alternative is not visiting your site. This type of ad is simply intolerable.

I have always said, and will continue to say, that ad blocking software would not be necessary, and might not ever have been invented, if webmasters were more vigilant about keeping the ads on their sites quiet, small, and tasteful. Unfortunately, since that is not the case, we need the blockers to deal with situations like this one.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Okay - I still haven't seen this one for some reason - but let me know if it keeps occurring frequently.

Of course I can't blame folks - and as I demonstrated earlier in the thread - I'm a little ignorant about whether ad blocks work on just the annoying ads or whether it blocks all ads. That audio ad that started this thread was truly offensive because you had no option to stop the loop, pause, mute, or do anything to prevent it. I do agree that the accidental rollover ads are annoying - and I'll look into whether it's something we can pull. I would point out that I just got rollover ads with both NYTimes and ESPN - and sometimes on major sites I get those window freezes while they make me watch an ad.

I'm just asking folks who block all ads to remember ads are one way we pay for expensive servers. And, that we do offer an ad free way to support the site. Not saying anyone is obligated to do anything though - any kind of support has always been voluntary.