Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if Arsenal can manage to be a Europa league team for much longer. We either don't have or refuse to spend enough money to continue to perform at this level.

cantona94 and Super Llama repped this.
  2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we have settled on being a Europa League team for the long term. With sp*rs CL money, and new stadium bringing up their matchday revenue, there will be quite a gap in finances between ourselves and Chelsea/Pool/Spurs, let alone United/City.

We will be the 6th richest team, with no real plan or motivation to change our situation. Kroenke, Vinay, Raul, basically anyone with any power is perfectly content with our position. Eventually Kroenke will need funds for some other venture and will sell this stagnating asset, and maybe then we will get some accountability.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree. The long-term trend is downward in terms of performance, position in the table, and revenue relative to the rest of the league. I don't see anyone at the club now who is capable of correcting the slide.

cantona94 repped this.
  4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we have enough money to make dropping out of the top 6 really difficult outside of extraordinary circumstances (players revolt against the manager etc.).

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For now we have enough money. But in 3 years we'll probably be closer to Everton than Spurs

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the problem i always had with the fan boy analysis that Arsenal could be smarter than other teams

We are actually dumber than other teams and make worse decisions for years now.

Can it be turned around?

cantona94 and Super Llama repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) IMO the issue is less about the money than the particular ways it's being spent re: personnel. Let's be honest, if Arsenal pip Leicester for the title a few years back, and/or if the likes of Ozil are playing to potential and the team is in the CL (at least more frequently) then the scope of the money issues isn't there or at least isn't as bad. But this marks (I believe) at least 3 years in a row where Arsenal's spending exceeds their final table standing. Couple that with the seeming absence of a player investment strategy that looks toward the future and you get the discontent we see now: A team not investing enough to win today but likewise not rebuilding enough for tomorrow. Yay!

B) The fact that the team allowed Wenger to use his financial acumen to micromanage player purchases yet failed to apply a financial strategy at the top level speaks to what many of us have bemoaned for years - The lack of investment and vision at the management level. By all accounts everyone took for granted that Arsenal would continue to roll in CL level funding without respecting that sports teams require meticulous management of the on-field product in order to sustain success. (ie: the f****n' New England Patriots)

Can all this be undone? Of course, but it will require the effort and wisdom to make the right moves, especially on the roster side seeing as that's the primary product. The question is whether or not KSE cares enough.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sobering stuff indeed. I read through about 8 slides/charts until it got too depressing. :cry:

Failing at Top4 and UEL Final, and the way in which we did it, looks like the nail in our coffin.

9. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly believe we will struggle to qualify for the Europa League this year. I think we probably will but it will be a massive battle this year. Given the progression this club seems to be following, it wouldn’t surprise me to see this/next year as our last forays into continental competition for a while.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do t be down lads, we are about to sign a winger who scores 4 goals a season and costs 80 mill

Super Llama, cantona94, Tonerl and 2 others repped this.
  11. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No we are going to pretend like we're gonna sign him until the end of August, keeping all the fans on the hooks, then he's gonna do a CPFC YouTube official interview on Sep 1 kissing the Crystal Palace badge and saying "the rumors were never true, I love Crystal Palace and this is my home club," and then he's gonna be sold for like 50m next year to Real Madrid

DaPrince84 and thebigman repped this.
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    fixed

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This club is just lame, but its motivated me to play more football so that's something I guess

DaPrince84 repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1490 GunnerJacket, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    The club needs depth! You good enough to replace, say, Kolasinac?

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ramble with a great tweet on Arse cash flow juggling in the window

maskito and mebeSajid repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa! Josh Kroenke speaks! On today's BBC 5Live Football Daily.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07l5bkb
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...61291929#episodeGuid=urn:bbc:podcast:p07l5bkb

Perhaps a bit of "victory tour" interview with Ornstein, after surprisingly vibrant and successful transfer business.

But no doubt it's good to hear from him through such a big mainstream megaphone.

Amongst other things he said...

"Challenging for the EPL title is always our goal", almost implying this season! Yeah right Josh. Top 4 buddy.

Anyway if he can come out from under his Dad's introvert MIA shadow, it could be a very positive thing.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At least someone is speaking on behalf of the ownership, even if it is very general and conventional spin. The more they say publicly the more material available for use in holding them accountable to slightly higher degrees.

NorthBank repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So some of the bad financial news is in

Top line Rev looks awful, and payroll still very high

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Embaressing

all comes down to shit contract negotiations (ozil wage and losing Alexis on the cheap and ramsey free)

useless club from the ground up

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well the absence of CL football is starting to really hit, as well, which means not only the direct impact on UEFA payments but also chips away at the potential to increase commercial revenues.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is we are bad at everything

We still have the economic damage of late phase Wenger hanging over us. That meant we didn't get value on assets that could be reinvested.

Now we made new investments but we get bad results on the field lowering their value

AND we get no CL, NO EL and even bottom 10 league position can cost 5-10m :ROFLMAO:

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, this was an epic screwup. Unless the Kroenkes are just idiots (which is possible), we should expect Sanllehi to be fired soon.

Shen-O and GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the difficulty in attracting top talent on the pitch, because of no UCL. And now it's looking more likely of no European football at all.

As I said in today's MD thread... sobering.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hope so. That was my Christmas wish offered on Counter Attack last week.