Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Love ramble, but seems to be some issues with this. I know for fact (it’s in the club earnings release) that we were still selling property to tune of 100m+ in 2009/10.

Not that it matters. The one that really stands out is this one.

Also, I was just thinking king about spuds new stadium and remembering that AW said the banks made him sign a long term contract to secure the loans. Wonder if spuds have some similar situation with poch.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of a sudden, apparently sparked by Emery's comment yesterday about not being able to buy permanent players in January, can only consider loanees. And possibly linked with the fact that KSE sole-ownership means that we no longer have to publish the accounting info as often or as detailed as we used to. The fanbase has gone a little apoplectic about the state of the club's finances.

From another thread I saw these:

Sure, I guess our wage bill must be our biggest line-item cost, or at least the biggest cost which we have some control over (compared to say, loan refinancing) but I heard Arseblog mention how the club sent out an email to staff, over the holiday period, asking them to cut costs in general, any way they can.

So something else to add to our current list of worries: winning games, shoring up a leaky defense, cracking top-4, solving the Ozil problem, players physical and mental health... and the club's overall financial health?!

4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I’ve defended Kroenke to a degree because he seems fairly hands off and didn’t seem to extract anything out of the club other than a few quid. While it’s possible he is doing that now, I’m not going to get up in arms until I see a) real evidence and b) it harms the club’s performances. If we win the league or CL and he wants to pocket a little dividend I don’t have any more problem with that than giving the players/staff a deserved bonus.

But if we are playing shite while he is taking value from the club then I will drop Arsenal like a hot turd until he stops or sells. I love arsenal and have invested a lot over the years, but I want to support a club that I can feel part of as a fan and not just a customer hanging on to some glorious history.

Based on what we know, I can see three scenarios of decreasing probability:

1) It’s status quo and Raúl is just gathering as much dry powder as possible to build Emery a competitive squad in the next three windows.

2) Their is a lot of financial reshuffling after going private and there are some temporary constraints on cash flow.

3) Kroenke is mixing Arsenal with his other assets and extracting value by piling on debt with the club.

I’m hopeful it’s just 1, but feel it may be a combination of 1 and 2. Activity this summer will shed light on the situation.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even if loans are an option, just offer a small fee and potential fee at the end of the year if it works out to get something over because we are shit atm

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1456 NorthBank, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Here's the latest PR propaganda video from Vinai & Raul about the Kroenke's:
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/owners-are-hugely-ambitious-club

Nice how they wore the same uniform, even down to the shoes! (although they miscommunicated on the socks)

Edit: And here's the longer (full part 1?) interview where they talk about other things about revenue generation, academy, contract renewals, etc, etc:
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/were-so-pleased-unais-impact

Vinai especially said a lot of good things. But we were burned a bit by Gazidis who seemed longer on talk than action. Now we just have to see how many pieces of their clear vision can be achieved. Proof is in the pudding mates.

7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that Kroenke is using the cash assets of Arsenal as collateral to get loans for his LA project, which is a $5 BILLION project that Kroenke is personally contributing $1.6 billion to.

I have little doubt that we are looking to sell players to make up for the CL money that's not being made. If PEA and Laca are being pursued as described in the press then they will probably go. Right now AFC is being asset stripped to pay for the LA Rams.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #1458 The Jitty Slitter, May 22, 2019
    I am not sure it is that simple.

Arsenal have just been played by Ozil, Alexis and Ramsey via the contract wind down approach

Utd, having been gamed by Alexis, are currently being played by De Gea with the same bitch move, as he is demanding they reup him on the open market price, or he "pulls a ramsey"

So this means you end up having to pay a signing on bonus, equivalent to a transfer fee - to your own player.

I argued for a few months now that the only way to stop this is to immediately sell any player who doesn't reup at the 2 year mark, and ideally have contracts with a unilateral 1 year extension like Utd do.

Arsenal made the mistake 3 times with Ozil, Alexis and Ramsey

So now with Auba - Arse likely have to sell him if he won't reup.

mebeSajid repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1459 NorthBank, May 22, 2019
    Man you sure have a bleak outlook on Arsenal! I'm no fan of KSE and I don't know if their plan is to strip assets as you say. But one thing is for sure... we still have a chance to make CL and claim the financial/recruiting prizes that come with that. And I for one am bigtime rooting for us to do this, by winning our first Euro cup final in 25 years.

10. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pretty much, which is why I think Arsenal really need to sit down and look at what assets are actually players you can build with. Unilateral extensions in the second to last year are going to be key for the club.

11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the trajectory of the club since Kroenke bought in it's been a downward slope. If you look at the trajectory of the club since Kroenke got control it's a steeper downward slope.

cantona94 repped this.
  12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    NorthBank repped this.
  13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    This literally is the only approach that makes any sense from a club point of view.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We made 140 odd milk last year

Kroenke keeps 100 we get 40 to spend

bandwagongooner repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In no way am I trying to defend Stan, but something tells me the math is not quite that simple. I'd guess we spent that 100 on some other things. The smallish one that comes to mind is Suarez who cost us something close to 5MM?

16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz has been that we’re going to post a huge loss in the next round of reporting.

I’m guessing the Guardian is piecing this together from publicly available data that isn’t representative of the whole picture.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This makes really bad reading - especially the operating losses.

NorthBank and Super Llama repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I've often wondered why Gazidis was paid to much for presiding over such poor commercial rev.

Super Llama repped this.
  19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Kroenke isn't that smart. He made his billions building strip malls with Wal Marts in them. What made that easy was being married to a Wal Mart heiress.

cantona94 and mebeSajid repped this.
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just finished this

People blame Kroenke for this disaster but it happened before he even took majority control of the club.

mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  21. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really incredible how badly the club managed the new stadium and its consequences. They made the wrong decisions at every turn. The focus on long-term commercial deals for the stake of stability essentially sidelined the club for the 10-15 years of explosive growth in the market. In addition the failure to recognize that players are the fastest appreciating assets in the game has cost the club maybe 300-500 million dollars.

cantona94 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What will always get me is sitting on all that cash and not buying players. That was the moment to step it up and we did nothing.

And of course Ivan Gazidis is charlatan.

Super Llama repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The thing is though - even when we got free of the long term deals, we didn't manage to jack the commercials at all

We've simply see the commercial deals inflate in line with the market - but anyone could have got those deals.

But that is actually fairly typical. The clubs themselves haven't tended to innovate - they've just cashed in on the explosive growth in media rights.

Look at what Bayern has done in the US as an exception to the rule - because they couldn't rely on someone else to sell them into that market

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of all the decisions, the decision to "keep the powder dry" and not spend on transfers before 2013 may be the most ruinous for the club and prove our downfall. It's been a huge reason why we have no players that have sale value, which in turn has allowed Liverpool and Tottenham to catch up and succeed us financially. We are going to be the only team in the Premier League to show a fall in revenue (a significant one) YOY.

We are truly a Europa league team now, thanks to abject mismanagement. We're fcuked.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And unless we get some billionaire to do a City or Chelsea, we are screwed for the near future.

cantona94 and Super Llama repped this.