Let's talk Games

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by Greddy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Greetings to my old friends here on the forum. The annual BigSoccer fantasy football league is in full swing and there are a few more openings. If interested feel free to PM me and I'l gladly send you the details. We already have Joep and a United contingency down. :D

2. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey, well I used to be a PES fan from back in the day when it was undisputed, but ever since FIFA08 I've stuck with FIFA. I just got PES2010 about a month or so ago and gave it a try after many, many years of not playing. Let's just say that I was disappointed. I mean there are certain aspects of the game I love like being able to edit almost anything, the fact they keep track of assists....but the gameplay I found was not up to par. In fact I would say that FIFA ran all over them. I don't want that to be the case, but that's how I felt. The graphics are much better on FIFA, I guess overall the presentation of the game and the gameplay are better.

If FIFA ever allowed us to edit players it would be over, thats one thing I don't like about the game. I'm not too sure I will ever play PES again, they need all the teams....I thought it was unbelievable that the Bundesliga wasn't in the game. I feel bad because it sounds like I'm trashing PES, but its still a quality game, just not for me. For instance, the Master League outclasses FIFA's franchise mode or whatever.

3. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    On the Graphics, I think PES is better but that is to the eye of the beholder. But yeah FIFA has been the better game lately.

This is supposedly the year PES is back though, but if they don't get it right this year, I don't think I will play PES again for a while.

For the Bundesliga, just download an option file, which has everything edited, all the correct names, all the WC teams, and alot of them have the full bundesliga.

4. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey thanks for the information. We'll see what PES does this upcoming year.

5. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    if you ever read any pes forums, you will see pes fans say that. EVERY. YEAR. lol
    I have pes 2010, after all the love i had for pes4, pes 2010 is such a big disapointment... especially when compared to fifa 10 or older pes'.

6. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    PES forums, like fifa forums are filled with fanboys who defend a brand. I dont care about the brand, I care about playing the best simulation of football.

Fifa 10 is alright for the first few weeks, but then (specially online with over competitive people) its arcadey, not a simulation. FIFA 08 and Euro 08 where awesome closest thing to PES 6 (on the PS2 or PC), which is the best football game of all time. In FIFA 10 you pressure all day with the A/X button (depending on console) and there is no midfield. You see people paying ping pong just mash pressing the pass button all day. Defensive lines dont hold they are a mess. FIFA 10 is not a good game. The WC game got much better but still lacks one thing PES has always had.

That is player individuality, in FIFA you make a pass with John Terry or Xavi and its the same. The success of the pass won't depend on whether you were smart enough to pick the correct player to make a killer pass with, but about how long you press the pass button in the right direction. So you might not have the smartest football brain, but you are a great videogamer, and you can still rock FIFA. FIFA is the videogamers football game. The only attributes that seem to matter in FIFA are strength and speed. So you see players flying, the game is way too high paced, nothing like real life. FIFA 10 is nothing like real football. It even kills it against the AI because there is no individuality so playing against Madrid and playing against Milan feels exactly the same.

The good things about FIFA, is that is feels smooth, the animations are awesome, EA have made the animations so good. But all those animations with broken gameplay can only satisfy a football lover so much. When all people do is pressure all day, and players like Xavi and Pirlo cannot dictate the pace of the game, like they do in real life. The game is too fast, they have to slow it down.

PES 2010 has good speed to the game, but the mechanics are horrible and its just broken and ffs unplayable. I still play a patched PES 6 on my PC.

FIFA 11 has been promised to deliver a more real simulation and the producers have said they will be trying to develop the individuality through a feature they are calling "personality +" and from people that have played the game (early codes) they have told me the game is much slower and much more realistic. The graphics look awesome too from what I am told.

No official gameplay video has come out yet, but they will be coming out within the next few days and weeks. Gamescom in Cologne, Germany will be presenting the game to the public for the first time, and we will have plenty of gameplay videos.

PES 2011 has had alot of people play it (hopefully I will have a chance to play a beta code *crosses fingers* of Master League online) in preview codes and stuff. People who are hardcore like me at football videogames that have played it are saying its back. Here is the very first gameplay video. Looks awesome to me. Watch it in HD, the graphics are awesome, the tight kits are awesome. It looks great. The tactic screen :eek:.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLXc3rYuTc"]YouTube- PES 2011: Preview code gameplay - August 2010[/ame]

For the best of the consumers we get two kick ass games this year, so that we can just have alot of fun.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. Absolutely spot on.

As good as I think FIFA World Cup 2010 (the best FIFA imo) is, and it's really damn good and I think slightly better than the last PES, it still fails my two personal gameplay tests that still make it too arcade-y, and as jcvf puts it, "a videogame player's soccer game".

1) If your opponent turns the ball over to your back line, in two passes you will 9 times out of 10 be able to get it to your forward in a good position, almost 2/3 of the way to the goal already. Buildup is almost pointless because you can just get it to your forwards and try to score quickly. And since you can do this almost every time, so can the guy you are playing against and it just becomes a battle of who gets it to their forward and scores more.

2) This is even simpler, and is similar to the Xavi/Terry example above. Say you are attacking left to right. There's a ball behind your player to the left and you are making a beeline to the ball (in both games, you'll be auto-attracted to the ball.) You are holding your controller to the right and mashing the pass button so you can immediately pass it to a teammate who is directly to your player's right. Here's what usually happens:

FIFA: beautiful turnaround and pass to the teammate's feet, or a smartly placed backheel
    PES: not even Xavi makes this pass go straight to the teammate, the teammate will have to run back to collect

If you were playing PES and actually took the split second to get the ball and turn before passing, your pass has a better chance of being completed. In FIFA, why bother. Just hold right and mash the pass button. It'll get there.

One other thing. EA is no dummy. The FIFA team definitely knows that they've been resting on their laurels and that although PES took a step back when it went Next Gen, they are on their asses now. FIFA will be focused on stepping up the gameplay over the next few iterations.

As always, competition is breeding better games for all of us to enjoy.

8. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've been loyal to FIFA for the simple reason of the licensing. I can't stand the fake names in PES. Who wants to play as Man Blue or Middlesbrook? I don't know if PES will ever get the rights, and I know the names can be corrected. But it's just so much more engrossing an experience to hear Clive Tyldesley exclaim things like, "Messi gives it a go from long range..." or "This is Xavi, pulling the strings..." or "Barcelona, swinging the play this way and that..."

I haven't checked out a recent PES edition to see how their commentary's come along, but it's a dealbreaker for me if you can't have those kinds of personalized team and player comments.

That said, my PC version of FIFA 10 has an extremely annoying glitch I haven't found a patch for: whenever you play at the Camp Nou, Clive introduces the match with "Here we are at the Vicente Calderon..." :mad: By halftime he seems to have figured out which stadium he's in. :rolleyes:

9. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    FIFA 10 on PC has to be the most arcadey of all! its ported from the PS2 version of the game....but I agree the commentary is ace.

FIFA 11 on PC though will be ported from the New Gen of consoles, so expect some kick arse graphics and brand new gameplay.

BTW I hate the PES commentary too, so I turn it off and with friends we comment on the game together, its fun cause we talk trash along the way. He picks Madrid, and I say "There goes Cristiana with the ball", much better than any video game commentary. :D

BTW Monty is spot on with what is wrong with FIFA. Nonetheless PES mechanics are horrible right now (not the theory of how the game is supposed to be played, but how it feels) so I'd still rather play FIFA 10 than PES 2010.

10. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good discussion on here. The thing that I really like about PES is how much more in depth they get within the game, especially in the Master League. Even something like counting assists properly (which FIFA doesnt always do), having players go away on internationals, or using the player cards, overall I think its much easier to change tactics. I also like being able to edit players (for instance, Pedro).

You're right though, the thing I can't stand is the mechanics, its too choppy. I can't play and enjoy it because it doesn't run smooth. At the end of the day, I will play a game because I enjoy it and I find that there should be a level between regular and professional (second and third levels) because I feel that there's too much swing in difficulty that a player like me can't find the right balance of opponent level to play. If I had more time I could play the game tonnes like when I was younger, but I don't so its tough to come home and play on the third level of difficulty (or fourth) and have the opposition just ping the ball around for the whole game.

I think that's where PES may have something else to work on. Yeah FIFA may be more arcade like, but I can easily find and play at a difficulty level that I will lose sometimes, draw sometimes and win at as well. In PES its either I'm dominating so no one has a chance against me, or if I move up a level then I'm get slaughtered. That's no fun. There may be some game settings I can tweak, I don't know.

Anyways, PES 2011 looks like its more smooth.

11. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Having played 2 seasons of be a legend and 3 seasons of master league in pes10 I can safely say fifa wc 2010 has MUCH better gameplay, and how are you guys saying fifa is arcadey?? :S if anything is arcadey its PES, the shooting, the dribbling, the animations, ben-haim can dribble just as good if not better than messi, everything just seems so fake, back in ps2 days it was the opposite. fifa was the arcade game and pes was realistic.

Hopefully Pes11 will be an improvement but I really doubt it. Pes6 seemed to be the peek.

12. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I hate PES 2010. I am talking about PES of old.

BTW been playing PES 2011 beta Online master league all day. I cannot play another game. I only have it for nine more days.

13. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :eek: beta for ps3 or pc or 360?? These new gen Pes' ruined the name of Pro evo soccer. Dont know how they could get it so wrong after their games were so good on ps2

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just my guess, but what happens a lot with franchises is that the development team tries to port over as much of the code from the old generation into the next gen and they don't quite hack it enough to everyone's liking before it has to go out the door. IOW, Konami had a perfectly awesome PES6 running on the PS2. Next year's PES is going to be on PS3, which is a brand new piece of hardware and totally different from the PS2. Do they have the time to make a new engine for PS3 from the ground up, with the specs for PS3 in mind? Hell naw they don't, so what they do is they take the engine from PS2's game, put in PS3, see what is totally broken, and cram as many band-aid fixes on to it as they can before Marketing calls and says, "Hey, your game goes on shelves in a month. Ship it now. Framerate drops? Through balls don't work? Tough. You have 3 days to pick what you can fix, and what horribleness you'll just have to live with."

So the game goes out the door looking and playing terrible, but deadlines were met, Messi got paid to be on the cover, they sold enough to cover themselves. True, they took a hit in prestige because they rushed a game out the door, but that's alright... we got another year to fix all those problems...

... only what happens is that 9 months later, the same problems didn't quite get fixed in time. Plus we had to add these new features and a better Create a Player and make online salvageable, all things that suck bandwidth out of fixing the problems that last year's game had. So those same problems make it into next year's game. But don't worry, we'll get to them for sure next year...

and on and on and on, until the even Newer Next Generation consoles come out, and Current Gen problems just become legacy issues with Next Gen.

*rant over*

15. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    haha nice post. Agree.
    I kind of felt like they dont really try to improve it all that much. Pes 08-09-10 felt pretty much the same. (although slowly better and better)

And with the amount of sales it gets(i think it gets just a bit less than fifa overall), maybe the developers feel like they dont need to improve it.

16. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Monty got it right. The thing is FIFA did not port their crappy engine from PS2, they made a new one. Which is really great, but still arcadey. I find that FIFA 08 and Euro 08 are the best titles EA have produced. Really good speed to the game, and tactics matter.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EA also took a year off when PS1 went to PS2 to revamp Madden and the results speak for themselves.

18. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You think the programmers for Madden are the same bunch that do the FIFA series, even back then in the PS1 -> 2 shift? I'd reckon that FIFA is enough of a cash cow to merit its own dedicated staff... well, now for sure.

I repped the bajeezus out of that rant of yours. So, uh, if your looking for bajeezus in your rant, it ain't there anymore. :D

19. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ofcourse they have different programmers. They always have had diff programmers for each game lol.(well i hope so lol)

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, different teams work on different franchises, but I hear at EA the producers run the show.

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    EA canada does the FIFA series. That is pretty much the only thing that studio does. FIFA's Producer as monty well pointed out runs the show. His name David Rutter.

22. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Guys just want to say, PES is the game this year. Have you seen the fifa vids, that game plays like virtual striker! I am pissed at EA for effing up, but I am excited for Konami, for bringing in what seems like a footballers brain into play. EA care too much about the casual gamer, I guess that's what makes them money. Ping pong passing is still there, the super high pressuring is still there, and the speed of the game is just too fast. Arcade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1ctLomxIw&feature=player_embedded*

On the other hand look at this gameplay video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H50v_yD5A4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- [Pro Evolution Soccer 2011] Una partita completa a PES 2011 dalla Gamescom 2010[/ame]

A person on another forum said this:
    Its not that PES is perfect, far from it, but its simulation of real football with good enough animations, that will last me a year. (unlike FIFA 10 which lasted about 3 weeks for me)

23. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is this your first year watching beta gameplay, features etc? Because the amount of times ive heard that exact same sentence in the last 3 years is incredible. Theres even a cycle for it(im not saying you are a pes fanboy, just saying thats what they sound like)eg.

Ill admit it looks better, just saying i wont be surprised if it ends up even worse than the last.
    [​IMG]

24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I am playing the beta ;) this game has me addicted. First time since PES 6. Anybody who has followed PES has seen that cycle thing. Bring new material. :p I played FIFA 08 for the 08/09 season, I then played FIFA 09 for half the season as my main game, but got tired of it and went back to PES 6. For this past season I stuck with PES 6 again.

If I could have it my way, FIFA would be the better game, that way there would be no need for editing and its just straight up playing. With PES you have to do the downloading of patches or Option Files.

I've been playing footy games since 1993.

I am upset at EA for catering to the casual fans too much, and harcore footy fans get turned away. There has to be more passing error, yet you can still ping pong. Slow down the game, and its still too fast. Punishment for pressuring to much trough stamina, yet players don't get tired. Make tactics have a realistic outcome in the game, and they dont matter as long as you play a 4-2-4.

So PES is the game this year for the football fan who wants to play the more realistic brand of football....and they have a stadium editor.

25. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thats good, i like pes(have pes4, pes6 and pes 2010) but I just get tired of the false hope. People always expect a very good game but i was disappointed with 08 and 2010...very disappointed.