Let's talk Games

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by Greddy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd start a dedicated video game thread. Seems better than putting things in the Pro Evo line-up thread by default, and since I'm assuming that a lot of us here partake in the gaming, it could possibly justify breaking away from the Random Discussion thread.

So... watcha playin'?

Aside from occasionally playing NBA 2K7 (yeah, 2K7. I love hoops, but I'm also a cheap bastard who refuses to pay $60 for a roster update), I've mostly been gaming on the go. I picked up Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP a little over a week ago, so I've been killing time on the train with that. I've also recently become addicted to "Texas Hold 'em" on the iPhone.

I played the demo for Braid on 360, and it's friggin' rad. I'm definitely looking forward to playing the heck out of that when I get some time, along with the new XBL Bionic Commando.

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really been meaning to catch up on a lot of games... played the new Madden, and I'm not enough of a Maddenite to be able to pick up on any detailed changes. We played it on its hardest setting and it still seems like a floated ball thrown 30 yards upfield near the sideline will be caught 50% of the time, and can be determined by manual control of your cornerback not at all in the slightest.

FYI the Bionic Commando games (which I loved on the NES) is in development for Capcom by a studio called GRIN, which has recently opened an office in where? The Torre Mapfre skyscraper on the Barçelona beachstrip.

I'm DL'ing that demo and the NHL demo. Right now I think I'll play some Naruto.

I still haven't purchased a 360.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://kotaku.com/5039684/fifa-soccer-09-to-get-weekly-player-stat-updates

No doubt we are only mere moments from having an uber-realistic experience actually being Ronaldinho, where you reach for an XBOX controller and it turns into a cheeseburger.

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to build that functionality into Gran Turismo, updating Ezquerro's licenses on the fly! (ba-dum-bum)

Anyway, I'm interested to see how it's going to work. They've mentioned doing that with the basketball games, the example he gave being Kobe scoring 81 points in a game, and then having that hot hand represented in the video game. Would that just be for exhibition and/or online play?

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably online play also, and you can only play other people who had the same current data you have. Here's the way this will likely work: there's a stat tracking service that EA uses which provides them data every year on every player. So, either every week the service updates EA with current stats, or EA has learned how to do it themselves and it's done in-house. Then you log into XBLA every week and download a small patch that updates the stats database. It pretty simple.

Which is why I can see why people are upset that it isn't free.

6. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Still playing 2K7?!? :D

2K8 was far superior FWIW. The game play was more realistic but 2K7 was so addictive and easier pick up and play.

Might not be worth the $60 though.

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing. I plan on buying 2K9 though.

Just saw this gameplay footage of Mirror's Edge on Kotaku. Could not be more hyped for this game.

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks fun. I'm all in favor of quirky fun games, I thought Portal was fantastic.

9. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    madden 09
    fifa 08 waiting for 09
    the halo and god of war series

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of it. :p

Actually, I just saw that Kratos is going to be a character in the next Hot Shots golf game.

Did anyone play the Bionic Commando Re-Armed? I'm REALLY tempted to buy it after checking out the demo. It's every bit as controller-twisting infuriatingly fun as I remember from the NES.

11. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bionic Commando was my favorite game from the NES. This updated version looks awesome.

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mother********ing seconded. I might have to get this, not that I have time for games anymore... :eek: :(

14. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Can't wait for FIFA 09! Watch this amazing trailer! It looks awesome :D!

Never mind the first 20 seconds! :rolleyes:
    [youtube]pZI6cDZbQjk[/youtube]

By the way, I have got a new account so I have a new user-name on ps3.. add me (if you have a ps3!)
    It is: ViscaElBarca_M10

I really want to get the Spanish version of Fifa 09! But they don't have those in New Zealand, and ebay.es does NOT deliver parcels overseas! :mad:

I think that Messi is the new face of PRO EVOLUTION Soccer 09

[youtube]7Q_5ds3ttQM[/youtube]

15. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I play

Pro Evo, although I was massively dissappoined by the last ps3 installment. I hope the next one will be better

Football manager, on a network, with two guys in my house. Lot of fun

GTA, although not as much anymore, and next up will be MGS 4, which I've been anticipating for a long time. I've played the GOW's aswell Monty, don't worry :p

historically, FM, too. Been playing it since 97. I've always loved Age of Empires and am a big fan of the Total War series. What can I say, bit of a history geek.

and last but not least; I will destroy each and every one of you playing Mario Kart for SNES. No joke :D

16. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ur playing rite....

god of war rules

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I get into my post, I just want to point that I completely forgot about Football Manager. Honestly, I've probably played it every other day for a few years now, with only maybe a few months off here or there. It's shocking just how much it's become a part of my routine. I honestly didn't even think of it when I started this thread, as booting it up and playing it in the background of whatever I'm doing on my computer has just become second nature. So, yeah, Football Manager is king.

Now, onto my real inspiration for posting, Jonathan Blow. I mentioned the game Braid earlier in this thread, and I really think it's a remarkable little game. That said, one of the more... shall we say... thought provoking aspects surrounding the game has been the comments made in interviews by the game's designer, Jonathan Blow. He has some pretty strong views on game design, and gaming as an art form. I highly recommend reading the interview he did a while back on MTV's Multiplayer blog (don't let the MTV part scare you, it's actually a great blog), "A Higher Standard".

Whether or not you agree with what he has to say, I think he raises a lot of interesting points about game design, and gaming in general. I was spurred to post this after listening to the latest 1Up FM podcast, which was basically a solid 1 hour conversation with Blow and Rod Humble (The Marriage, Sims 3) on a lot of the same themes brought up in his MTV interview.

Once again, I highly recommend checking both interviews out.

18. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Guys (and Jimmie), who has FIFA 08 on PS3?

19. THE PIBBER

THE PIBBER New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    ah, hello.

i'm waiting for messi to play like that. honestly, he'll need tons of time and work to get to the level that dinho has set for barca#10. i like messi, i do. in fact, barca is my 'second' club.

anyways......

would gutiesun************** be in bad taste, when i get my first barca jersey??

or would calderonamorlaspingas be worse?

would either fit on a jersey. i mean, venegoor of hesselink has his name on his jersey. it could be done. right?

viva barca!!

20. THE PIBBER

THE PIBBER New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    ok, mar..i...co...n got censored.

21. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey guys, as I expected earlier; Messi is on the cover of PES 09 (Pro Evolution Soccer 2009)...

[​IMG]

I am going to buy it this time around! And I am going to buy Fifa 09 too! I wonder why CryRonaldo wasn't on the cover this year as well :rolleyes:

22. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *drool*

That is beautiful. Hope the Champs League music plays as I take Barça to their third cup!!

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally got the time to read the whole interview. Very interesting reading, I'm curious as to where others stand on "video games as art" and also "video games as social criticism." I'll post more, but I got to get out of this office. Friday night! :)

BTW, my PS3 controller totally died on me... at first, only the PS button worked, then I reset it by pressing the little button on the back, now only the buttons on the left side work. Totally weird. Never seen a controller do that in my entire time. Janky ass PlayStation!!!

24. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just got a 360. Gamertag is INKISMYDRINK

I only have Halo 3 but yeah...