Let's Talk About Fox

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimmyHoward, Jun 8, 2016.

1. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    FOX of course is really awful at sports except for the NFL. Everything else they touch is a disaster and sometimes downright offensive. Joe Buck's MLB broadcasts are just a vehicle so he can interview players during the game and hear himself talk.

The soccer broadcasts are just awful. You do not need a sideline reporter in soccer. You probably don't need one in any sport in this day in age.

You also don't need three men in the booth. Two is all you've ever needed. I think Holden does a good job. As far as John Strong, he's not cringeworthy like most American PbP guys but he talks through the action too often rather than give the game the space it needs. But with three men in the booth there's no space. Just a lot of talking.

2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree on the sideline reporter thing, and besides, ESPN does it too so we can't give Fox crap for doing the same. Heck the games I watch in Argentina do it. Sometimes you want to know what's going on as far as subs or what the coach is instructing his players or saying to the officials.

I agree on three guys in the booth though.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  3. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox's direction has been poor during Gold Cup. Too often I find myself saying, "Why are you showing me this?!?" as I hear the crowd roaring for something happening on the field while Fox shows a replay or Bruce Arena waving his arms.

4. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Except the sideline reporter in fox (and espn) broadcasts, if they don't have any injury or sub info, will typically give back story about players. This is something we don't need to hear during the broadcast. Anyone remember the GC a few years ago when Grant Wahl was the sideline reporter? He would just ramble on about how great Landon Donavan is to the point it was nauasiating.

5. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Fox needs to give Dr Joe more airtime.

6. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally, I am just happy as can be, to finally see soccer televised. I remember times when one wanted to find results of games one had to buy foreign language papers. Any broadcast today is so much better than NONE in the past!

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am pretty much in the sane boat.
    It was not too long ago the Gold Cup could only be seen on Univision with a couple matches on the now defunct Fox Soccer Channel.

We have come a long way in a short time.

8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. That seems to be an obsession among American broadcasters in general. I can't stand it either.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This has nothing to do with Fox.

What you see on TV during tournaments is the global feed. There are plenty of complaints that you can make about how Fox covers sports, but that's not one of them.

Sorry to be blunt. I just see this complaint all the time and it's misguided.

Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I've watched a couple games on Univision this GC and they had the same issues so it's the same feed.

11. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know, but it will be much less satisfying to yell at some faceless unknown production team.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

13. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    But Uni doesn't have a narrator who says "reset" every ten seconds. They do, however, have the semi-literate Marcelo Balboa.

chad repped this.
  14. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Why did Fox choose Fernando Fiore? Is he just there to add some low brow humor and be South American? What does he know about soccer?

Three and Three repped this.
  15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During game we have that dude who just doesn't ever shut the ******** up and is a moron.

During pauses in the game we have Lalas and Fiore.

Fox SUCKS.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  16. ForceMultiplier1994

Jul 5, 2016
    Filthadelphia
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh I was pretty satisfied.
    Minor gripes would be Fiore running off at the mouth and Lalas on the end constantly making stank faces, Donovan and his monotone voice in the booth.
    But those are all VERY minor.
    I love that Rob Stone lets his fandom show thru, Stu Holden's commentary in the booth and Eric Wynalda and the chick in the studio who I thought had the best tactical analysis of any of them.
    Overall I was very satisfied with their work and ecstatic that I didn't have to watch Telemundo or Univision for all the matches like back in 2007 and before that.
    I hope they keep carrying the tournament.

BeefEater repped this.
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are trying to replicate their NFL crew which is a bunch of jocks teasing and joking with each other the whole time. I don't think that fits soccer, though. Fiore was great on Republica Deportiva as the main host, but this is a weird spot for him as a foil for Lalas.

chad and BeefEater repped this.
  18. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Stu Holden has done a terrific job. He has transitioned into broadcasting like a true professional. I also like the work Herculez Gomez is doing for ESPN. I wish we could have Stu & Herc together.

ForceMultiplier1994 repped this.
  19. ForceMultiplier1994

Jul 5, 2016
    Filthadelphia
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more, Holden is a really sharp, well thought-out guy and I love Gomez and that he doesn't jack around on camera too much and prefers to comment on the players and tactics.
    That's why I liked Wynalda and the female, can't remember her name.
    Holden and Gomez would be a terrific tandem.

BeefEater repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aly Wagner is the woman in the studio.

ayers repped this.
  21. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, they missed a goal in the Atlanta-Orlando game. They were showing a replay and got smoked.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox decided it would be a good idea to hire Arena as an analyst for the Portugal game.

So they did.

They're shoving more Arena down our throats the first game after he resigned. Unbelievable.

TxEx, juveeer and Three and Three repped this.
  23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm, that's actually a pretty interesting broadcast hook. I wasn't going to watch but I actually might now. :p

24. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have Rob Stone you're OK in my book. Fox should hire Arena for color commentary. He was awesome after 2006. Arena called Donovan's Ecuador hat trick if memory serves.

edcrocker repped this.
  25. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox already hired Arena? IMHO very good move.