Let's Talk About Fox

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimmyHoward, Jun 8, 2016.

1. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Oh, wow! I suppose it could be much worse...

Redmen Rule and Beerking repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for warning us with a Not safe for work warning.:rolleyes:
    Would have been great to play that at work.:p

3. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    If Klinsmann doesn't get a coaching job for an Asian national team, I see Fox hiring him closer to 2018 for World Cup coverage.

4. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK is finished...:ROFLMAO:

5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Strong would go easier on reciting 45-second bios in the middle of play.

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he did that because it was a primetime network broadcast of a cup final. I'm sure Fox thought casual fans tuning in might need more background. My memory is that he sticks to soccer during the regular broadcasts. I think he's pretty good.

Friedal and (sadly) Holden, on the other hand, are the Jürgen Klinsmanns of announcing: their analysis is always "who wants it more...who digs a little deeper...the players have to make plays..." all non-specific motivational nonsense.

Twellman, on the other hand, is almost always talking about stuff actually happening on the field. If you listen to him, he is often pointing out flaws or strengths and match ups that wind up having an effect on the game. (If Friedl talk about something on the field it is usually to tell us that the keeper had his feet firmly planted, that the foul had no malicious intent at all and a couple of other comments he is fond of repeating even when they contradict the evidence of our eyes. Seriously, he is the worst of the ex-player color men on Fox or ESPN.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard him do it in previous games, but I agree that he is pretty good.

I'm not sure what I think about Friedel, but I have gotten tired of the way that he goes berserk after goals.

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel was talking about Seattle leaving it 2 v. 2 in the back a lot. I'm trying to remember if he made any other tactical observations.

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannot stand FOX. There is no need to have a sideline reporter give an update every 5 minutes during MLS Cup. Their pre and postgame has no substance or analysis. FOX has also admitted they dumb things down for the non-soccer viewer. The World Cup is going to be a joke with them broadcasting.

It took ESPN until 2010 to do a decent job and then they're outbid. So now we're stuck with FOX.

Tom Collingsworth, jnielsen and Marko72 repped this.
  10. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping for the Confederations Cup.

Dr. Joe with his vital insight during the buildup to the first goal.

11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    How does this man keep getting hired? For ANY soccer related job?

12. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's actually a pretty good TD (I would've been more than willing to keep him on in that role, just not at the expense of having him stay on as head coach). I could see China trying to hire him, I don't think he'd want the job but they could offer him enough money that he wouldn't turn it down

Gilma1990 repped this.
  13. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Opinion on Fox's coverage of the Confederations's Cup?

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    So far the worst tournament coverage they've had. I don't want to lay too much blame on the announcers. I think they're being poorly served by the behind-the-scenes crew. There have just been a lot of weird factoids taken to extremes. Like tonight's discussion of Martinique's political status. Or the weird one about the same ref being at the last game where Morris scored. At other times, the announcers just seem poorly prepared. Like they haven't studied the teams at all.

15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one providing any type of analysis is Aly Wagner. The rest is bland platitudes pandering to the casual US fan or non-soccer fan.

matabala and Ironbound repped this.
  16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Lalas is the embodiment of the Peter Principle. How he continues to get work is nothing short of amazing.

danielh, Beerking, puttputtfc and 2 others repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Stu is good. Landon works well with him. I wish someone in that box added excitement from time to time. Wagner is always good. Cobi is usually decent, but not in this tournament.

take something like in the Canada-French Guiana game. Sloan Privat scores for FG. At that point he had six goals in four international games and had scored in every one of them. Pretty remarkable. And wiithout Malouda, it wasn't like there FG is just overflowing with success stories. Does it rate a mention? Not at all. There are too many times that I just don't feel like they've done much research on the teams and it makes the announcers and commentators seem like they're just showing up to the games cold.

Burr repped this.
  18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I may be the only one but I really dislike that floating camera that hovers over the field.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If you ever met him in person you wouldn't have such a high opinion of him. ;)

Redmen Rule and juveeer repped this.
  20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty distracting in the stadium at times.

Beerking repped this.
  21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just American sports broadcasting. Some will not like it in a soccer match, but others may find tidbits interesting. I did find the topic of Martinique's political status vs. FIFA status somewhat interesting, I was not aware of it.

The biggest complaint I have about FOX so far is that they like to use commentators (not including Strong) who overly praise simple skills or plays on the field, and at times they even speak too soon (i.e., a guy does a step over, half-way beats his marker and the announcer will say "nice move there by [insert name]" and immediately the guy gets dispossessed). JPD (can't help but have a soft spot for the guy) is often guilty of this. FOX needs to find announcers who are a little more nuanced in the game, and I don't mean they have to possess accents.

22. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Fox sports GO app is incredibly buggy for me. Anyone else? It's always been that way. Maybe fox sucks at everything.

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had issues with it in the past but not lately.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Hey does anyone know a place where I can find precise kickoff times for US soccer games on Fox? The official kickoff times listed on the US Soccer website and on Fox seem to always be off, often by 15, and I believe sometimes by up to 30 minutes, which makes it frustrating trying to schedule things around the games.

Based on the last game, should I assume that the semi-final match against Costa Rica will start at 10:15 ET?

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I realize that's not a problem specific to Fox, but this seemed like the most appropriate thread on the front page to ask that question.