Let's Talk About Fox

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimmyHoward, Jun 8, 2016.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    oh ok so what would you say the real ratings for soccer are?

what are the usmnt REAL ratings?

I mean I assume you are saying that tv ratings aren't accurate?

just an fyi...same methods are used for everything.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what the real ratings are but I know Nielsen Ratings are not accurate nor have they ever been. Actually had a conversation with a friend who works in a newsroom who got in depth with how these things work. He said CSPs have the ability to track ratings for what everyone watches at all times, but the system is set up so that Nielsen ratings are the only ratings that matter and are the law of the land. All advertising revenue and basically all of television revolves around them. So your average cable tv show or soccer game may suffer but ABC still makes millions of dollars because Nielsen Ratings say that Rosanne is drawing 13,000,000 viewers.

3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah all gov't conspiracy, they could give real ratings but they lie to trick advertisers and low ball it because financially that hurts themselves which is a good business practice apparently. I heard that the usmnt is averaging ratings that were actually just over 450,000,000 which seems like a lot because that is more people then there are in the us but it includes the 65 million illegals who voted for hilary so they don't really count in the census so its a pretty accurate number.

I think you misunderstood ur conversation the neilsen ratings work; they apply the same rules/technique to everyone. There may be a 100k here and there either way but the ratings aren't off by 3000%. the ratings are really really close so any argument that secretly the 2.5 million is actually 5 million or even 3 million is crazy. it may be 2.6 but that would be a far reach its more like 2.5001 million.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Fox have the rights for three World Cups? I could see TV networks not wanting to decide until they knew where it would be?

TV ratings don't say why the people watch. For example, when Barcelona plays:

What percent of the viewers are fans of Barcelona?
    What percent of the viewers are fans of Real Madrid or another club wanting Barcelona to lose?
    What percent of the viewers are fans of Messi who wouldn't watch Barcelona if Messi left?
    And this season, are people watching to see if Barcelona can finish undefeated?

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Fox's media rights deal may have been extended to include the 2026 WC due to FIFA moving the 2022 WC to November/December.

And you they did: https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/12/fifa-fox-usa-tv-rights-world-cup-2026-telemundo

Love this quote: Tweeted ESPN’s Bob Ley, one of the signature anchors of ESPN’s soccer coverage: “Did FIFA just grant rights to WC2026 without opening it up to bidding? #typicalFIFA"

FIFA better watch out Rocco and Rico will sue them too for not having an open bid process. I'm sure they'll offer to buy them for more then Fox is paying them too!

6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. You’re clueless. I even agreed with your original point but now you’re just being immature and argumentative.

I’m done talking about this

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lol thats too funny

somehow people are arguing people watch things they don't care about...but do they not watch mls/us because they care ? lol

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    at the end of the day it was a simple question

how many people are watching mls matches if the number is inaccurate and how many people are watching the umsnt if the number is inaccurate?

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As stated in another post FOX got the rights in a back room deal/negotiation due to the Qatar World Cup being held in November/December which is a conflict with College and NFL football. So in order to appease FOX and their legal team that is ready to sue them they just gave them the 2026 tournament on a discount.

As for the Barca analogy I have no idea what that has to do with my post.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't have to do with your post.

What USMNT and/or MLS players do you think are more popular in the USA than Messi and Ronaldo? Do you think people NYCFC fans watch the Red Bulls to root against them? Do Galaxy fans root against LAFC to root against them?

11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know anything about Telemundo's coverage? I'll probably be watching that, but then I'm a Spanish speaker.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Burr repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. No cheaping out here.

Three and Three repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I think you missed the point of my post

I was saying ratings are higher for things people are interested..thats why they watch they are interested lol.

they don't watch things they aren't interested in.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've kept an open mind with Fox and I think they're fine for USMNT games. I prefer Darke/Twellman but Strong/Holden are fine and I like that Fox gives USMNT games pre and post game shows instead of sandwiching them between college basketball games like ESPN does.

That said with World Cup coverage, Fox has been a massive step down from ESPN so far. Their studio stuff is garbage, Fernando Fiore's charm wore off about 2 years ago, and outside of Holden/Strong (who are mostly fine), their commentary teams are really bland.

Jazzy Altidore, TKyle, olephill2 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like JP and Tony Meola. Not dynamic but JP is always clear and accurate and Meola makes good observations.

I really dislike Stuart “Word Blizzard” Holden. Not only does he never say in five words what he can say in forty-five, his comments fall Into two categories. He either tells us that the sun is hot, or he points out that water is wet.

Most ex players need time to learn how to announce and timenso that they are no longer announcing games involving ex teammates. Twellman has made that transition. Holden has had enough time; I don’t think he’s going to.

striker, jaykoz3, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #292 Three and Three, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Stone: "... loses his footing on the turf...and....also loses his footing on the turf."

Holden: "This is only his second game since the injury layoff that he picked up."

They're both horrible. I'm going with Telemundo. Listening to Cubillas today was a pleasure.

18. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fiore has to go. There has to be more to a South American observer than emoting and clowning. And the "I'm an Argentine therefore I'm an authority" presumptions annoy.

Meola has been decent, but likeable JP kills me with the statements of the obvious:

"This penalty kick could be a game-changer."

"Australia to tie France would be an upset."

Like I said before, I have to go Telemundo on this thing.

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP: Player 1 has the ball, he passes it with his foot to player B. Player B has the ball on the left.

He does radio play by play and I want to scream.

tyguy and kba4life1 repped this.
  20. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s true enough. But I think his primary job doing the play by play is keeping the action clear, and I think he does that well. It’s in the pauses where he makes obvious comments.

21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telemundo has been quite excellent. I think I like them more than when Univision had it. Guess I'm not missing much.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is good. SUMs it up quite well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/11/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fox still doesn’t “get” soccer – much less understand basic things like which professionals play it, are going to be at the tournament, and so on. “What are Alexi Lalas and Rob Stone looking forward to the most in Russia this summer?” asks one video segment. For Lalas, who helpfully if strangely notes that “he grew up in the 1900s,” it’s the junket (“the one place I’ve never been is Russia”), while Stone, Fox’s resident gummy bear of an anchor, is really interested to know “what’s going to be the vuvuzela of Russia, what’s going to be the Icelandic clap of Russia.” Forget about the football – all the Fox guys want to know is which annoying gimmick this tournament will be hate-remembered for!

Anyone else notice this? There's never any real analysis. Can't believe it but I really miss the ESPN roundtable question from previous WC's.

That’s about the only good news, though; run your eye down the list of in-studio and match-day talent and the pickings are slim indeed. “Talent” is, of course, a cruel expectation with which to burden these poor souls. Lead anchor Rob Stone always looks like he’s lost or about to get punched; and Lalas is, well, Lalas, the ram-jawed doofus American soccer just can’t do without. These two will likely be balanced out, to some degree at least, by gruff master manager Guus Hiddink and former Inter and Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo – decent pundit selections for which we can offer grudging praise. In addition, we’ll be treated to the pedantic droning of “Dr” Joe Machnik, and the manic clowning of Fernando Fiore, the fun uncle from Fox’s 2016 Copa America coverage who’s probably stayed at the party just a little too long.

Accurate.

owian, chad and Burr repped this.
  23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telemundo has Viviana Vila calling a game right now, so Fox doesn't even have that.

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m about to start my fourth World Cup game of the day.

People, this is where the training, preparation and focus pays off!

USA-Zebuel, chad and Burr repped this.
  25. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    It is only day three going into day four and I am fading fast. 3:00am games to work to family to bed at 10 might actually kill me