Let's Talk About Fox

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimmyHoward, Jun 8, 2016.

1. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Copa America in full swing I thought we could discuss how Fox is performing from a provider stand point.

For me, it's been lacking, especially the in-game analysis. I'll use the Mexico-Uruguay game for my example. When Rafa Marquez scored the goal ahead goal Fox continued to show replay after replay showing the play to be onside. Not once did they notice the Uruguay players pointing to their arm for a potential handball, thus leaving the viewer in the dark (can anyone confirm if Univision got this correct?).

God Bless JP Dellacamera but he just doesn't do the job for me as a lead play-by-play man. Perfect example, last night on the USA call, he had to ask Stu Holden when the US switched over to a 4-4-2 in the first half. That's something that he should know. I shouldn't complain to much I suppose, as it could be Gus Johnson behind the mic instead.

All in all, I hope they can get their act together for the 2018 World Cup. I'll be tuning into ESPN this weekend for the EURO's and I'm sure will be reminded of how good we once had it.

2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    As far as I am concerned, any telecast with Lalas in it is a bad one.

CREN, JackBlack21, Redmen Rule and 7 others repped this.
  3. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    The camera work bothers me. Will hang to long on a coaches reaction or replay and miss the action. They should hire the producers from NBCs EPL coverage because the camera work is great.

Chicago76 and jackiesdad repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #4 HomietheClown, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    I am just glad they invested in this tournament and things are looking pretty good.
    U-S-A vs. Costa Rica was the most watched USA (Mens) match on the network ever.
    It got better ratings than any of the USA Gold Cup matches and the CONCACAF Cup Championship match against Mexico.

Let's keep that in perspective and take note. A Group stage match on a Tuesday night against a team with very little population within our borders got the most views in FS1's history. Just imagine how good things can be against Brazil in the second round or if the USA advances further.

As for commentary, sure it has been bad at times. But I just switch to Univision if it gets really bad.

Mahtzo1 and CeltTexan repped this.
  5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are spending 5? hours a night 2 games and long pre, post and between game shows, I really dont know how you can fault that.

Broadcasters are never really 'loved' in any sense of the word, maybe Ian Darke has some goodwill, but for the most part people are going to find fault with whoever is broadcasting the game. Holden usually has to be asked a question to say anything...he's not quite a natural broadcaster yet.

Viewers rarely if ever go out of their way to praise broadcasters.

vaquero28, Mahtzo1 and SeminoleTom repped this.
  6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    It's incredibly disappointing that 0 of the knockout round games are on Fox (all FS1 or FX). I get that they're trying to boost the numbers on FS1 but this has really hurt awareness of the tournament in the US.

exref and iggymcfly repped this.
  7. "username"

"username" Member

Northern Virginia United
    United States
    Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 "username", Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    I hate everything that Stuart Holden says. I don't know if he's trying to overcorrect or something, but he seems to really enjoy talking up opponents of the United Staes. Yes, there are objective observations that one can make, but Stu practically sounded disappointed/surprised when USA began to run the table against Costa Rica. Only in the final third of the broadcast he began to change his rhetoric to a sort of acceptance of the way things were going.

Maybe he's trying to hold the team to a high standard, but the players don't - nor will they ever - tune into a broadcast of their own game with commentary from Stu. It just seems potentially damaging to the casual fan who tunes in only to hear about how the United States is basically a disorganized and undisciplined group of scrubs that have no hope of winning while a team like Costa Rica has 'definitely shown up more prepared than the United States today - Just look at how he is hustling to grab the ball and giving it to Brad Guzan after he misses!'

Wow! thank you fox for the sky cam angle of Joel Campbell retrieving a missed shot that bounced off the video board in the 5th freaking minute of the game. That early unnecessary hustle really paid dividends!

DeAndresHaircut repped this.
  8. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost everything about the broadcast has been subpar, it really shouldn't be surprising but it's still disappointing. I'm fairly concerned about Fox having the WC rights until 2026.

Justin Kucher (a college football commentator) has commentated 2 games I've watched and he's said something like "there's a flag on the play!" when a ref brings out a yellow card on multiple occasions... I'd rather have Gus Johnson back if that's what we're working with. Also, I don't understand why they feel the need to show meaningless replays or shots of the manager just sitting on the bench while there is actual play going on in the background. The whole production has been disorganized in my opinion. ESPN's on-site studio for EURO2016 just flooded and I'm sure they'll still blow whatever Fox is doing out of the water.

Fiore is a keeper though, he's been just about the only positive of this tournament coverage so far. They were smart to give him his own little after-show later at night.

Redmen Rule repped this.
  9. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-0531-copa-america-tv-20160530-snap-story.html

I'm not sure how much control Fox has over the actual images being sent, its all FIFA controlled.

DeAndresHaircut repped this.
  10. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redmen Rule repped this.
  11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Their production values/level is light years behind ESPN's World Cup coverage 2 years ago. Be interesting to compare Fox's Copa vs. ESPN's Euro coverage.

Really, Fox always seems to be one studio upgrade over a local Sunday morning public service announcement program.

Redmen Rule repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People should just stop bringing up ESPN in this thread. They did not want this tournament. They are focused on the Euros.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Fernando Fiore or whatever his name is a moron. Why does Fox need Terry Bradshaw level stupidity on every broadcast?

Len, Mahtzo1 and SteelyTom repped this.
  14. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like most broadcasting threads, this thread is chock full of stupid
    Congratulations. You have entered a balanced, thought out post in a broadcasting thread. It will be weeks until another one pops up.

Americans act like there was a 50 year history of great soccer announcers and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, *poof*, they all disappeared and now these poor people have to suffer through this new wave of contest winners that won a chance to walk off the street and call a soccer match.

Just like MLS is slowly growing stronger, so is the broadcasting of the beautiful game but there will always be the douchebags with the arms crossed in their "impress me" stance, constantly crying about how they are being screwed by a network because the announcers don't fit their criteria.

15. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Stuart Holden's commentary has been very good. He offers a lot of insight into what's going on in the match, he's very articulate and intelligent, and he brings a good amount of energy to his commentary. As he gets more comfortable as a broadcaster, I'm hoping he'll begin to inject more of his personality into his commentary.

Redmen Rule, exref and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    My opinion of Fox is that it looks good but that there's not much behind the podium.

[​IMG]

CeltTexan repped this.
  17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took awhile for ESPN to get WC coverage right. I'd say 2010 but especially 2014 they were great. FOX is way behind them in terms of production value and content. In 2018 will they actually send commentators to the stadiums? Are they going to bring in a bunch of British pundits from Sky Sports to help?

Rob Stone does a good job, but he's no Bob Ley. Lalas is Lalas. Herc Gomez was good. Fiore adds personality but can't help but see him as the token "Latin" person up there. Holden is smart. Friedel has smart things to say occasionally but talks too much during the game.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Here is the thing, instead of looking at ESPN and growing their broadcast off of that to set the standards, Fox uses Fox Soccer Channel or Champions League coverage as their benchmark.

They are woefully behind.

When you get a property you seek to advance it past what the previous broadcast was. Hard to say Fox has done that.

And again. Why the need to have Terry Bradshaw-level stupidity in every sports broadcast?

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to another discussion board, Host Broadcasting Services is the company responsible for production and they are an experienced soccer broadcaster. Of course, they might be using local producers on the game (I'm sure the camera operators are local) or are handcuffed by immigration or union rules that require local hires.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Fernando Fiore is silly and has been silly on television for more than 30 years. He has his groupie fans that have been watching him ever since the Univision days in the 80s/90s when he was going around Miami with Sofia Vergara sightseeing and making jokes.
    People from Miami to Chicago to Los Angeles to New York all know him as "EL Presidente". And he brings Latino eyeballs to the screen. FOX knows this and are happy he is a part of the Copa coverage.

seeds repped this.
  21. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redmen Rule repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    But are those viewers going to suddenly drop watching Unimas/Univision in Spanish, just to watch him clown around Fox in English? I don't think so.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There are people like me who switch over at halftime to hear what he has to say. And there are people watching his Copa tonight show.

With the millions of Latinos who know who he is all they need is a little sliver of that pie to come over and it does affect things a bit.
    He also provides a unique South American perspective they need. He has corrected the FOX staff on a few mistakes that should have been fact checked.

Redmen Rule and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Beerking and striker repped this.
  25. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's found a way to fix his 'deer in the headlights' constant stare into the camera, that would be a good step one.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.