Let's put our cards on the table...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Grok, Sep 5, 2015.

1. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    I think these 3 sentences sum up my feeling about the current nats better than I've even been able to sum them up in my own head.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lletget is much better technically and creatively than Zardes. Zardes, otoh, is more athletic in terms of speed, length, strength, and stamina. Zardes covers more ground, does more defensive work, and is better in the air. Seb is more likely to score a wonder goal in the box than Z while Z is more likely to get on the end of a cross than Seb.

In my mind Seb is the tricky, skillful player you love to watch. Zardes is the workhorse that you love to watch. If I were drafting my team it would be a tough choice between the two. I might lean toward Seb but it would depend on who I expected to have around them.

There is also the question of which player translates to international play better. Zardes athleticism has allowed him to do well at the international level. In some games, he is the only US player who can move the ball up the field. The question is would Lletget be successful at the next level? Would his tricky moves work or would he find himself stripped of the ball repeatedly? How would his athleticism translate at the next level? I hope we get to find out some day.

barroldinho repped this.
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you basing this on actual evidence or just tired African American stereotypes?

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Of the factors mentioned, the length doesn't change and Gyasi is 4" taller per google (so lets assume a real difference of 3 to 5 inches). The sprinting speed is noticeable on the field (but Seba may have better speed for 10 yards). My judge on stamina is Bruce. He often brings Seba off for a defensive sub, but Gyasi hardly ever comes off the pitch.

TheLostUniversity and WarGalaxy repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah it's stereotype. Cobi Jones was one of the biggest players I've ever seen. ☹

The accusation is actually kind of offensive. As far as length (which you questioned) I was basing my opinion on watching them play, fight for balls in the air, and in Zardes case, reach out with his legs to win balls on the ground. He's a master at this.

Btw, I never looked up their heights before but I just did and Zardes is listed at 6'2" and Lletget at 5'10" so I just might be onto something.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #31 skydog, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    I just realized you might be making a "member length" joke Barroldinho. If so, oops on my part. And haha.

barroldinho repped this.
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

:)

barroldinho repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [This is where an embarrassed, blushing emoticon would go. But we don't have such at thing available so....
    :alien:]

PS - 73Bruin also thought you (Barroldinho) were serious. So there! :cool:

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    If you are going to joke, please make it obvious with an emoticon.

10. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.