Lets just recap the season already, who cares

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 96er, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mostly joking anyway because I dont expect us to get anyone like that (not that its impossible or that i wouldnt want it to happen)

Yeah I dont care about having the 2 of them here. Federico needs to be done.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    eboe, LaMacchia and hangthadj repped this.
  3. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Also, stop with the 4-4-2 nonsense. Porter is a lazy, ignorant coward and he'll stick with his insipid 4-2-3-1 like his life depends on it.

Kyle Crew and hangthadj repped this.
  4. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    It's pretty early to wildly speculate because:
    • We don't know what the new player contract will look like.
    • We don't know who we'll lose in the draft.
    • We don't know whether Higuain will be back (he wants to, I'm not sure the team would bring him back based on age, injury and production)
    • We don't know if Bez gets his player who didn't want to move to MLS yet.
    • We don't know if Cadden is the planned replacement for Afful.
    • We don't know if Porter played 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 because of the personnel available and would switch to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 after the winter transfer is completed.
    • We don't know if Porter sees Santos as a potential solution as CAM (Santos says he likes that he has more space there but like someone else said, we need more than 4 assists from that spot).

Tobias C, stanger, TRUJDUB and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pot. Meet kettle.

To clarify, Crew are not making the playoffs.
    A poster about five posts ago has already made that point. Without a poor, personal assassination of character (yes, it is possible. Maybe not with you, but with some other gentlemen.).

stanger repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @DGA57v2 I mentioned the 4 assists, I'm pretty sure none of them have come from Pedro after his move to the Pipa role (maybe 1?) Anyway, for 27 games 4 assists from your DP winger/wide play-maker is sub par.

All the unknowns you mention are what is so frustrating about where we stand. The old Fitz and Andrulis days where "we just need one more piece" to get over the hump is certainly not the case. We're below average in talent at just about every spot on the field. A $4M DP #10 would make us better but enough to be a contender? Since we don't know what we're trying to build we don't have an honest chance to think about what is needed to build it.

A rebuilding year with no rebuilding 30 games in.

hangthadj, DGA57v2 and Alneri repped this.
  7. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we can dream can't we?

TRUJDUB and Jim Bach repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be nice if someone - anyone - in the Columbus Sports Media asked Porter what his vision for the team is?

But, alas, it's football season. Sigh.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diaz goal v. Cincy. Also he has a hockey assist that game as well.

10. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Also, stop with the 4-4
    Well, sure. And I should be clear I'm not just complaining about Porter here. GGG didn't want to deviate from the 4-2-3-1 either, and there's tons of much better coaches who are equally tactically inflexible. In his early days, being such a disciple as he was of Arrigo Sacchi, Carlos Ancellotti sold Gianfranco Zola and refused to buy Roberto Baggio, simply because neither fit comfortably into his preferred 4-4-2. Like someone much smarter than me said, 'time is a flat circle', and I cannot argue with that.

hangthadj and LaMacchia repped this.
  11. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Porter is awful. He needs to go back to yelling at college kids or something. GGG had teams with similar talent making nice playoff runs. This chode can't even beat an expansion team at home.

Robbo Crewfan and Jim Bach repped this.
  12. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you expect his answer to be?

I figure a two paragraph word salad that includes stuff like the roster dictates the formation, attacking, possession and pressing used quite a bit. Also we want to score goals, lots of them, and not let other people score on us.

In the end he won't answer in anyway that will satisfy the board, even with competant follow-ups for mythical reporter person.

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably more right than I want to believe about his response, but wouldn't it be nice if someone would at least ask and put him on the spot like, ya know, a coach who's having an historically bad season.

I've stopped reading anything local not written by Arace and it's a damn crying shame that the Athletic re-orged out of local MLS writers (if their general-MLS coverage wasn't so good I'd cancel my subscription).

I miss Shawn Mitchell.

eboe, FootyRef, zman31 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did beat that expansion team on the road, though. And the MLS Cup holder at home during a monsoon. And Guillermo Barros Schelotto, too.

Not defending him, but just wanted to point out the holes in this hyperbole. If you're gonna call the man a choad, at least have decent supporting evidence.

the_rickler and Jim Bach repped this.
  15. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    OK. 31 points.

Jim Bach and LaMacchia repped this.
  16. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #41 Jim Bach, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Well, isn't this the problem? On the one hand you get the Dispatch, which for most of the season couldn't care less, except for the times Arace pays attention. Which I get because we're not his regular beat. Then there's the national press, who don't care about us unless the owner is trying to move us to Texas. Which leaves the local, amateur press, who couldn't write worse if they learned composition in law school (which maybe explains the lack of critical thinking...?)

I get that there's a vocal faction who would argue we should just be happy we have a team at all, and I understand that argument even if I don't subscribe to it. But even if it's valid, how long should that last? I've no confidence the current coach can manage a professional sports team, nor do I have any confidence the current owners can, well, win at anything. So I guess we're stuck.

LaMacchia repped this.
  17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in our bickering, lesser men would suggest that we should start a blog and fix what's broken our damn selves. I'm very glad that we're past that, and I'm even more glad that we got past it together.

TRUJDUB, Alneri and Jim Bach repped this.
  18. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until he gets a legitimate chance with players acquired in the offseason and a fully staffed FO.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, you should see other MLS cities. Assuming they even have a newspaper. Given the state of newspapers these days, the Dispatch is pretty decent (I've been in quite a few MLS cities in my travels and I like to read local newspapers). Sure--could be better. But it's ok. We usually get a pregame and postgame story and usually another during the week. Plus Arace.

crew2112 repped this.
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only one that travels. I have seen other MLS cities and I'd say what we have from local media as a whole is bottom third. Orlando, Atlanta, Portland, KC, DC, Seattle, Cincy, all have better media - specifically TV and print - coverage than we do. Hell, when I was in Orlando for two weeks last summer I heard non-game coverage of City on their NPR affiliate. The only time WOSU talks about the Crew si when tax money is involved.

The Columbus Sports Media all but ignores the Crew.

TRUJDUB, hangthadj and Jim Bach repped this.
  21. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    We need someone like LAFC's Brian Rodriguez of Uruguay. On the verge of their national team, creative, aggressive, good with both feet and makes others around him better.

hardhead, TRUJDUB, zman31 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This was published in September of 2019?!?!?!

If I didn’t know better, I would think this was a troll job by a Big Soccer poster. Unfortunately this is par for the course for the “fanboy” journalism we see at Massive Report month after month and year after year. It’s as if they work everyday to prove Andres Mendoza was right...

23. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Back when I listened to pop music I noticed that the morning DJ on CD 102.5 was a fan and referenced the team on occasion and would sometimes even have players on. I’ve no idea if they still do so.

24. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably Brian Phillips, he does the Massive Report Podcast now. CD 102.5 used to have the Crew radio calls I think. That moved to ESPN 97.1 this year. They do a weeklyish show that the Crew archive here https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/videos/inside-the-crew

25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with this. But, I think Diaz is an encouraging signing in that regard. He's on the verge of the Costa Rican team. He's creative, he's fast, and he's aggressive. If that is the type of player profile for our roster building, I'm on board. But, the off season building can't come soon enough. It's time to move on and move up.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and Kyle Crew repped this.